Clear All

OK everyone, stop trolling EEG.

Comment

Oops.
      Last edited by MsD; 13-02-2019, 00:32.

Comment

Wrong thread.

Comment

I would expect Rees Mogg to be more into foot binding . . .

Comment

Well, at least she's honest https://twitter.com/WarmongerHodges/...889826817?s=19

The irony is, her suggested slogan was the same as Corbyn's.

Comment

The weird thing is that I can’t see what Corbyn has done that makes them so terrified of him. Farage, Rees-Mogg, May,Patel - you can easily imagine them running an 1984 style Government but I just don’t get the sheer terror that these people have of Corbyn.

Comment

He's an anti semitic stalinist

Comment

Gina Miller, prior to becoming celebrity remainer, was putting out shite about charities that's ill-researched and tendentious
                  Gina Miller has given a confused and contradictory interview about the charity sector. Kirsty Weakley unpicks it. 

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                    The weird thing is that I can’t see what Corbyn has done that makes them so terrified of him. Farage, Rees-Mogg, May,Patel - you can easily imagine them running an 1984 style Government but I just don’t get the sheer terror that these people have of Corbyn.
                    They think Milne is actually in charge and he is a bit of a scary fucker....

Comment

Assuming Gina Miller is confused and/or dodgy and/or a Tory and/or any other bad thing you care to mention, my comment would be "So what?" WTF does that have to do with the merits of Brexit and options for mitigating or combating it?

Comment

The Swiss government is setting aside 3500 temporary work visas for UK citizen in case of no deal Brexit, to come to work in the country. There are quite strict conditions on 3rd country visas so that's quite generous...

Comment

I would expect virtually all of them to go to banks and commodity trading companies.

Comment

Some in IT as well probably, always a very delicate sector in CH.

Comment

Maybe even a few for lawyers . . .

I certainly don't expect many to be going to Uri or Schwyz.

Comment

British ex-pat in Spain who voted for Brexit shocked that her rights are endangered!

Comment

Yeah, fuck off, Yvonne.

Comment

Brexit dividend for Spain getting rid of the likes of her. Shame for Britain, which'll have to put up with her presence if she returns.

Comment

I was watching a BBC TV show where they give an educational experience to a group of kids for a day or two based on educational practice in the 1890s, 1950s, 60s, 70s and 80s. In the 60s one, they said that whilst 1 in 8 grammar school kids went to University, one in 25,000 secondary modern kids went. Now, most analysis of brexit have noted the very strong link between HE education and voting in the referendum, and also how that interrelates with age. But I've never seen any study which tries to unpick the secondary-modern/grammar split amongst the age cohorts old enough to have exeprienced the 11+ system when it was the dominant trend (ie, up to the mid 70s, so people 55+). I've long though that secondary mods are the root cause of this in some perverse way, leading to generations of people with no critical education or association with reasoning in any meaningful sense, but who because of the wonders of the post-45 political economy were mostly gainfully employed for most of their lives and did really very well for themselves despite that inauspicious educational experience.

Comment

"When I voted to leave I didn't think it would change anything for my rights to live here. We like it here and we don't want to go back but if I don't get my pension we might not have a choice."

What did she actually think voting leave meant?

I don't claim to be au fait when it comes to Brexit, or even politics in general, but even I knew that this would be an issue.

Comment

That's an intriguing theory, NHH.

Was a secondary modern qualification important in terms of opening professional doors during that period? Over here, all that was necessary was a high school degree, which could (and usually was) of a significantly lower standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon G View Post
                                            "When I voted to leave I didn't think it would change anything for my rights to live here. We like it here and we don't want to go back but if I don't get my pension we might not have a choice."

What did she actually think voting leave meant?

I don't claim to be au fait when it comes to Brexit, or even politics in general, but even I knew that this would be an issue.
                                            Even the remainer who claimed that a typical Spanish life involved bowls in the morning appears to be living in a bubble.

Comment

I know a number of British professionals who live and work in Barcelona or Madrid. They are to a person incredibly pissed that these racist idiots get all of the attention.

Comment

Alderman Barnes has made the same point, I think.

Comment

"Justin - formerly of this parish" ain't too happy either I can tell you....

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                    Was a secondary modern qualification important in terms of opening professional doors during that period? Over here, all that was necessary was a high school degree, which could (and usually was) of a significantly lower standard.
                                                    A large part of the generations who went through education knew that because of an economy that was pretty good, they literally could walk out of school on a Friday for good, and walk into a job on Monday (and walk out on that on Monday, and into a new job on Tuesday. Skills were generic and didn't require qualifications, so most walked out of school with no school-level qualifications not least because a) there wasn't a qualification for them to achieve until 1963 and b) between 1963 and 1973, the exam they took (the CSE) was taken in the final year, which wasn't compulsory until 1973.

Some might go onto some form of vocational education if there were sector-skills qualifications in it (my Mum went to a course at the local technical college to do a 12-month hairdressing course) but these weren't dependent on any qualifications, not least becasue few had them.

Secondary Moderns had their own qualifications from 1963, called CSEs (Certificate of Secondary Education) and Grammars had the General Certificate in Education O-levels since 1951, which were the entry qualification for the GCE A-levels, which were the passport to University for the grammar school kids.

The top mark in CSEs was Grade 1, which was equivalent to a GCE Grade C, so whilst people with excellent CSE results could get into a college to study A-Levels, because they didn't have the GCE O-level, they'd often have to spend the first year redoing a GCE they'd already in effect passed, whilst their grammar school fellow students would spend 2 years on the A-level course, meaning much better chances of getting into HE.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X