Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Brexit Thread

We are truly fucked.

Brexit Means: Leaving Single Market, Customs Union European Court of Justice

It's shit, isn't it?

Good idea for a new thread too.

Apparently, her justification for the pound falling is "the people voted for Brexit with their eyes open". They didn't vote to leave the Single Market.

Comment

Labour supporting membership of the Customs Union only.

This looks to be shit.

https://infacts.org/briefings/turkish-option/

Comment

Robert Peston

So now that the finishing touches have been put to Theresa May's speech on her preferred architecture for the UK's Brexit relationship with Britain and the world, I have learned that she will signal:
        1. we will be out of the customs union, the group of countries that dispense with border inspections of imports and exports;
        2. she will "grudgingly" allow for a short period of "implementation" of any new trade deal (Downing Street's euphemism for the "transition" to full Brexit, desperately desired by many UK businesses, seen as toxic by Brexiteer ultras);
        3. May will make clear that the UK will default to slashing taxes and regulation if we don't agree an acceptable trade deal with the EU - in other words she will say "be nice or it's commercial war".

Comment

4. EU says to companies "don't go to the UK, we're going to give it a shit deal".

Comment

So a big Fuck off to the 48%+ then, no-one cares that millions didn't (or couldn't) vote for this.
            Especially long-term EU citizens neglected over Commonwealth ones.

A curse on all bar the 100 or so MP's who'll vote against this.
            So much for the other 300 or so, 'sticking to their principles'.

Comment

I hate the term "Brexiteers." It makes them sound like swashbuckling pirates or something.
              I think we should give them a name more apposite. Like "Cunts." I'd go for "stupid, selfish cunts" but it's less pithy.

Comment

We're being dragged into a poorer, more vicious and backward country by a combination of disgusting right wing super-rich newspaper proprietors, pathetic spineless politicians (of both Tory and Labour varieties) and the sheer fucking ignorant stupidity of the average man on the street. It's like a case study in the shortcomings of democracy.

I'm so depressed and angry about this I can't really say much.

Comment

Brexit Means: Leaving Single Market, Customs Union European Court of Justice....and pumping even more surplus value out of the workers.

Remember Liam Fox, Priti "British workers are amongst the worst idlers in the world, Dominic Raab and the "Britannia Unchained" lot are full square behind Brexit and their vision of the UK is beyond bleak. Like the factory and working conditions of their 19th Century wet dreams.

Comment

I'm so depressed and angry about this I can't really say much.
                    Aye. I know how you feel.
                    Part of me just wants to up and leave to be honest. For all its faults I've always felt a kind of low-level background love for this country. I've never believed it's the best place in the world, but I've always believed it's the best place for me.
                    That's all been ripped away now, leaving me feeling rootless and utterly disaffected.
                    The only thing keeping me here now is P's and my fear of change, my inability to pick up languages and my terror at the idea of moving somewhere colder than here. Which only really leaves South Africa which is a political basket case, Australia which is too far from family, full of spiders and is arguable more racist and stupid than even the UK and New Zealand which is the same, but without the spiders.
                    Even these months on I'm struggling to understand why anyone would think that sacking off the EU would make anything better rather than much much worse. It's like a nightmare I keep thinking I'm waking up from only to find that I haven't and actually it's just got worse.
                    And as much as I'm implored to understand their concerns and pander to their christmas-voting frankly I don't have the energy. Fuck 'em. They're dead to me. I have to swallow down my bile every time I talk to my sister and I don't even know for sure that she voted brexit. I think she did, but I don't dare ask. We only have a small family and I don't want to lose one of them.
                    Ah for fuck's sake. Sorry this turned into a right old ramble.

Comment

3. May will make clear that the UK will default to slashing taxes and regulation if we don't agree an acceptable trade deal with the EU - in other words she will say "be nice or it's commercial war".
                      Proper cutting off your nose to spite your face stuff, this. Workers' rights and financial stability are now a bargaining chip along with immigrants lives.

Comment

Oooffff

Comment

Ed Miliband will bankrupt Britain, bosses warn: Captains of industry queued up to attack Labour's economic policy

Ed Miliband would plunge Britain into an economic catastrophe like the one facing France under Francois Hollande, a former advisor to Gordon Brown said last night

Comment

Part of me just wants to up and leave to be honest. For all its faults I've always felt a kind of low-level background love for this country. I've never believed it's the best place in the world, but I've always believed it's the best place for me.
                            That's all been ripped away now, leaving me feeling rootless and utterly disaffected.
                            I've grown up as a foreigner in a country that hates foreigners and my home country pretends I don't exist (no vote). In fact, the overriding opinion in my home country is probably that I deserted the place.

So yeah, fuck countries as a concept. Turn the disaffection into empowerment.

Comment

antoine polus wrote: I've grown up as a foreigner in a country that hates foreigners and my home country pretends I don't exist (no vote). In fact, the overriding opinion in my home country is probably that I deserted the place.

So yeah, fuck countries as a concept. Turn the disaffection into empowerment
                              Good post from the Stateless One there.

Comment

Geoffrey de Ste. Croix wrote: Oooffff

"Do what we want or our poor and middle class get it".

Comment

They have no idea do they? "We'll find a way of keeping the border between Ireland and N Ireland open" It's been 7 months now and all they can say is "we'll find a way".

Comment

Reminder of the utter lightweight populist twat who did more than anybody to bring us here.

[IMG]//img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2016-07/10/9/asset/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane02/sub-buzz-16813-1468158400-1.png[/IMG]

Comment

In fact the speech is all about "this is what we want", and then a list of things that we can't actually have.

And if she's such a big fan of multiculturalism and diversity why did she give the job of foreign secretary to a racist dicksplash?

Comment

Inescapable was right.

Comment

May has just announced Parliament and the Lords will have a vote on the final Brexit deal.

It's just a pity there aren't enough of them in either house who will stand up for the right deal.

Comment

Tariff free trade with Europe outside of the customs union and the single market? She's having a laugh.

Comment

Committing to a transition period, thank Christ.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote: Tariff free trade with Europe outside of the customs union and the single market? She's having a laugh.
                                                What is it about these fucking morons that still lets them think they are in a position to dictate terms to the EU?

Comment

Presumably the same thing that makes them think it's so terrible a European court interprets European rules.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X