No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit Means: Leaving Single Market, Customs Union European Court of Justice

About this quick trade deals with the African, Caribbean and Pacific countries...

Comment

the government, which had hoped to use the 2018 Commonwealth summit in London as a springboard for closer trade ties with Anglophone states such as South Africa, Nigeria and Jamaica.
      A springboard for hints about blocking our WTO membership too. And maybe a springboard for foreign aid.

Comment

Comment

Hasn't May already admitted her much-vaunted "immigration cap" is unrealistic?

Comment

Meanwhile, pro-Brexit People Before Profit will now campaign against a "Tory Brexit".

Comment

May strategy makes perfect sense if she is planning to walk out of the talks and essentialy slam the door shut on EU. Present the Union as intent to destabilise and racket the UK, easily done as they are cranking up the pressure all the time, then drop hints that there will be a price to pay, again blamed on EU. The huge difficulties that will follow will be a further incentive to alter the UK social contract, cut welfare, deregulate, all in the name of some war spirit against foreign foes. By 2022, she will have even more support despite an economic situation that is likely to be dire. By then, immigration will have ground to a standstill and emigration risen, in particular amongst foreign residents, opposition will be derided as traitors.

Comment

Well the Tories seem to have simultaneously become the Party of Govt and a populist anti-authority movement. They do seem happy enough to wreck the economy of the price for nice is free movement. And in even Wales and Scotland, the tactic is working.

Comment

By 2022, she will have even more support despite an economic situation that is likely to be dire.
                  I think the EU is gambling that UK will come crawling back in 2022, begging to be readmitted to the EU. And the EU will say, "Of course, you are welcome to rejoin. Oh, and you will be signing up to Schengen and the Euro as well. And we've uploaded Herr Schäuble's brain into a super tablet (the new supercomputers) and it will be running 11 Downing Street"

Comment

Hmmm. It'll be more likely a resentful blaming of the other 27 when it all goes pear shaped. I think we're beyond rational thought forever now in Idiot Britain (including Scotland slowly glowing kurious oranj again- Tories hovering at 30% ffs).

Comment

The full EU negotiating guidelines.

Comment

I love that the UK's plan for negotiating trade deals with its former commonwealth possessions is called empire 2.0.

I strongly suspect that someone is trying to have rosenfox and guildernboris killed on a trade mission.

Comment

The whole idea that they seriously think that the commonwealth countries are going to be jumping at the prospect of helping out the UK is hilarious.

Comment

Well this commonwealth country has just spent seven years negotiating a deal with the EU, so more favourable terms with the UK seem unlikely.

Comment

antoine polus wrote: The whole idea that they seriously think that the commonwealth countries are going to be jumping at the prospect of helping out the UK is hilarious.
                              I expect you saw this already.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0224/855240-brexit-is-opportunity-for-ireland/

Australia's Foreign Minister Julie Bishop has said Britain leaving the European Union represents an opportunity for Ireland.

Minister Bishop, who was in Dublin meeting the Government, said traditionally the UK was the gateway for Australia into the EU, but that would change after Brexit.

Comment

Also saw this YouGov poll about which French candidate would be best for the UK:

Remain: Macron 45% - 9% Le Pen
                                Leave: Macron 6% - 37% Le Pen

Comment

Read it and weep

Strong and stable = deluded and batshit crazy.

I know there are a lot of people in Uk politics who've fucked about with Brexit and all that, but even the ballsup Corbyn has made of it is not going to lead to the utter fuck up that May is going to make of it. At the very least he'd be conciliatory and try to find a way to make it vaguely palatable.

Comment

i was talking to a friend the other day who is better connected than me. We were trying to figure out why British capitalism is standing behind these loon as they indulge in the biggest piece of economic and strategic self harm one can think of. Britain now has the entire continent of Europe united against it. The Foreign secretary has been publicly humiliated by the Americans in the most embarrassing way. The pound has lost 20 per cent in value. Inflation is returning and the financial businesses are streaming out of the country .YOu'd have thought that Corbyn and Starmer would be a better bet for the City of London

We are being governed by Lord Ashcroft and the Daily Mail.

This piece by Stewart Wood a couple of months ago, describes the root cause of May's delusions.

Comment

It was the same with Miliband. The justification for not supporting him was that his "instincts" were to fuck about with markets too much, like he said he would with electricity. Now May is proposing the same thing, what's the excuse?

Meanwhile, Murdoch's treated Sun readers to Daniel Hannan. Immigration might not be the card it once was.

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: It was the same with Miliband. The justification for not supporting him was that his "instincts" were to fuck about with markets too much, like he said he would with electricity. Now May is proposing the same thing, what's the excuse?

Meanwhile, Murdoch's treated Sun readers to Daniel Hannan. Immigration might not be the card it once was.
                                        it wasn't the same with Miliband. He had a more left-wing platform and maybe more competent programme than David Cameron, but Cameron was not insisting on taking us out of the EU with huge negative consequences for the British economy and influence and showing no understanding whatsoever of the complexities involved.

Comment

Cameron was promising a huge risk over EU policy, that's what I mean. Miliband wasn't.

What's Corbyn going to bring to the negotiations? He'd piss off all the NATO members for a start.

Comment

The FAZ article also mentions that there is no special deal being offered by May on EU citizens, they will be cleared through normal immigration laws for 3rd parties countries. 35k salary cap and all that, exempted professions aside...like nurses.

As she said during the Tory conference, those needed will be allowed to stay...until British replacements are in place. They never had any intentions of honoring the promises made during the leave campaign.

Scum...

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Cameron was promising a huge risk over EU policy, that's what I mean. Miliband wasn't.

What's Corbyn going to bring to the negotiations? He'd piss off all the NATO members for a start.
                                              Most people,( like Cameron himself,) assumed it was a gamble that would pay off. It's no longer a gamble, it's fait accompli, being led by a Prime Minister who isn't on top of her brief

your childish need to drag Corbyn in to all aspects of every discussion is lowering the quality of the debate.

Comment

I think you should retract that, Nef. Tubby was not the one who brought Corbyn up, so criticising him for it seems unfair.

In fact, he seems to be directly responding to a post you yourself made.

Comment

From the Guardian:

A devastating account of a dinner in Downing Street between Theresa May and Jean-Claude Juncker has emerged, claiming the European commission president ended discussions about a potential Brexit deal by telling the British prime minister: “I’m leaving Downing Street 10 times more sceptical than I was before.”

Comment

Lucy Waterman wrote: I think you should retract that, Nef. Tubby was not the one who brought Corbyn up, so criticising him for it seems unfair.

In fact, he seems to be directly responding to a post you yourself made.
                                                    Fair enough- I'm losing track of the conversation and yes he was responding to what I wrote (though it was ad hoc that initially mentioned Corbyn, not me.) I apologise for my llast.

I think both ad hoc and I wanted to make a point about the level of diplomatic chaos and economic harm being caused by the May approach and to point out that the harm Corbyn could do is trivial by comparison.

I feel Tubby doesn't get the seriousness of what's going on re Brexit.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X