Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1240313340347514880

Comment

I think the Dutch unis went remote teaching at short notice as well, this was certainly the case for the person I know in that sector (Amsterdam Uni).

Horrible news, a prisoner has confirmed tested positive - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a9409251.html

We're just kind of waiting for it in the hostel. There are up to 50 permanent residents and around 13 staff who are at work at any one time. They could probably cut that number, but would still need a skeleton staff. A number of residents are likely to be high risk.

Was expecting to see my care co-ordinator today but they've now been told to conduct as many meetings on the phone as possible, which makes sense. I have to decide whether to sign up and get the keys to my flat (and then move) next week, or whether the situation means it's a better idea to try and delay it again. I'm worried about the prospect of full lockdown being imposed while I'm in a bare flat waiting for a bed and cooker, but if I don't go for it it could be the last chance for ages.

Comment

I had to be in Beckenham earlier on. There were still groups of older people roaming around like teenagers. More noticeably because there were far fewer 20-50s around. Coffee shops were quieter but still had older people in groups of 3 or 4 in all three I passed.
        Don't know whether to admire their derring do or berate their lack of concern. Managed to get some calpol 6+ on my trip though, so that was good. I realised last night that we only had half a bottle of 2 months expired age 2-6 calpol in the house as the cub hasn't been ill for about 2 years.
        I'm trying to stay in but things keep cropping up on different days that necessitate going out. Nothing now until an MRI on Friday morning.

Comment

Normal country

[URL]https://twitter.com/clarkemicah/status/1240311587904380929?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Greenland has suspended all air traffic in or out

Comment

Isn't it without a vote because the opposition agree with it, and helped write it?

Comment

Aren't the German and Nordic low death rates at least in part because they have increased the denominator by doing thorough testing? I'm sure their ICU bed numbers also help, but I think you shouldn't trust the ratios at this point when we actually have no idea how many people are infected in most countries.

Comment

On Hobbes's point, his anecdote matches my observations: the elderly and the young are the reckless ones. It's generally the 25-55 age group who're behaving more responsibly.

Comment

FT reporting based on comments from Sturgeon that London is about to get a proper lockdown.

Edit: I should note, to avoid alarmism, that "about" means probably on Friday.
                    Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 18-03-2020, 17:15.

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/peteapps/status/1240328352499671040?s=21[/URL]

Comment

English schools close Friday in line with Wales & Scotland and May/June GCSE and A Level exams cancelled. Fuck!

Comment

Landlords gonna landlord - https://www.24housing.co.uk/news/lan...navirus-fears/

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                            Greenland has suspended all air traffic in or out
                            Quite right too.

In other news I strongly suspect my oppo has it. He was in last week with a sniff and carrying on without a care which he does as a matter of routine. On Monday I finally persuaded him to stay off and when I spoke to him earlier he said he's been in bed for day with his chest feeling like it's on fire. I'm sure I could hear a disguised cough as he spoke too. He's still denying it and said his doctor has given him a prescription for a standard chest infection.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                              No plans for my place to close campus, but on the other hand they are going to limit the number of students who can go into the library at any one time. To 400.
                              Also, some managers elsewhere in the university told their teams to go home and the university bollocked those managers and instructed them to bring everyone back in.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                English schools close Friday in line with Wales & Scotland and May/June GCSE and A Level exams cancelled. Fuck!
                                Last I heard the exams had been shifted to September. Is that no longer the case?

How do students take up university places with no A-Level grades?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Last I heard the exams had been shifted to September. Is that no longer the case?

The sensible thing would be to put university years to begin in January 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Everything so far makes it read as exams totally cancelled with grades given by other means (mocks, predicted grades etc).

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                      Ireland has conducted 5,000 coronavirus tests in the last week, which per capita is 6 times more than the UK. Per million of population, the figure is apparently second only to South Korea:

South Korea: 1,442 per million
                                      Ireland: 1,111
                                      UK: 368
                                      USA: 61
                                      Yes the joke going round Twitter is that Ireland are really getting on with things now the pubs are shut. Harsh, I think.

Comment

"There won't be exams that will be taking place this year" - Williamson in the Commons.

He's also mentioned an appeals procedure which reinforces the idea that grades will be based on other criteria.

What a fucking mess, my daughters are in a state of shock. I know there are plenty worse things happening due to the virus but these can be a defining part of their lives.
                                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 18-03-2020, 17:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

The sensible thing would be to put university years to begin in January 2021
                                          That's what I thought was going to happen, especially as I'll be surprised if current students are able to go back to university by September.

Comment

Closing schools except for key workers and kids with EHCP plans is also kind of a mess. My wife runs the special education department at a college, they said they were closing to students on Friday. Now they're not? I'm not entirely sure my son needs to be going to school now either (he has an EHCP), although if the college is doing a volte-face on closing then I guess he should.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                              Aren't the German and Nordic low death rates at least in part because they have increased the denominator by doing thorough testing? I'm sure their ICU bed numbers also help, but I think you shouldn't trust the ratios at this point when we actually have no idea how many people are infected in most countries.
                                              That's why I mentioned that factor first. It is definitely the case in Germany.

Comment

Of course using predicted grades MASSIVELY helps privately educated and affluent students. They tend to be over- estimated on predictions whereas poorer students and those from less affluent areas are predicted down.

Comment

Forced to leave the house as we need things. I am again frustrated and fucking angry that there are people who will clear shelves because they fucking can. I have the means to, but I wouldn't, because I'm not a selfish bastard.

Fucking AAAAAAARGH.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                                    I had to be in Beckenham earlier on. There were still groups of older people roaming around like teenagers. More noticeably because there were far fewer 20-50s around. Coffee shops were quieter but still had older people in groups of 3 or 4 in all three I passed.
                                                    Don't know whether to admire their derring do or berate their lack of concern. Managed to get some calpol 6+ on my trip though, so that was good. I realised last night that we only had half a bottle of 2 months expired age 2-6 calpol in the house as the cub hasn't been ill for about 2 years.
                                                    I'm trying to stay in but things keep cropping up on different days that necessitate going out. Nothing now until an MRI on Friday morning.
                                                    Mostly berating for me, they're fucking idiots by and large.

I did find one group of people I can make an exception for: a friend who works in addiction was worrying about what to do for some alcoholics who religiously attend their AA meetings. Many are high risk due to age/health/both. That's one group who might actually be making something like an informed choice to take the risk of being in a room with others rather than isolating themselves at home, where temptation to enter a world they'd literally rather die than see again is an issue.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X