Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    Waitrose in Greenwich had tinned tuna and other tinned produce, there must have been a delivery. No toilet roll but people had it in their trolleys.

I had another email from sainsbury's explaining their policies, I'm hoping that by the weekend things will be a little calmer and clearer.

This nonsense has to stop and I hate being a part of it. I bought loads of pouches for Miss AE yesterday, enough for a few weeks or so. I hated doing it but if I didn't buy them then what would she eat? There were loads of them there too but nappies and most of the baby milk was gone.
    Yeah, I went to get a few pizzas for this week's dinners and ended up getting more food than I originally intended, as the man in front of me grabbed about 7 pizzas and walked off. Panic buying begets panic buying.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
      https://www.sec-ed.co.uk/news/corona...n-hancock-naht

An emergency bill to force schools to stay open. Is this real?

It's a trustworthy source.
      It's real, but part of a wider bill and as part of the wide-ranging powers which the government will assume (because they will), that the government would have the power to force schools open or closed. It's still expected they will announce a closure at 5pm (this time doing it in the House after getting told off by the Speaker yesterday, rather than announcing it first in the press conference which will be around the same time).

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

Yeah, I went to get a few pizzas for this week's dinners and ended up getting more food than I originally intended, as the man in front of me grabbed about 7 pizzas and walked off. Panic buying begets panic buying.
        It's difficult but I've resisted the temptation so far, although I bought a couple of things this morning as alternatives to what I wanted which weren't in stock. I approached Iceland to find that they were only allowing old people in until midday. I wanted to ask if they had a particular item in stock so that I could return later, but I was ushered in while young people were being turned away. One step on from being offered a seat on a 'bus. They didn't have what I was after but I bought some frozen peas.

Comment

The Dow Jones is now officially lower than it was when Trump was inaugurated.

Comment

https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1240296791159037953

Comment

I am workshy, and proud of it. I've probably done more this week, from home, than I have for ages, mind. Partly because my normal job is more or less redundant now, so I've been helping out with useful things.

I have accidentally got two deliveries booked on Sunday, a Tesco and an Ocado. We'll see what turns up.
              Last edited by DCI Harry Batt; 18-03-2020, 15:46.

Comment

The best explanation of the German figures that I've seen is a combination of testing a massive number of people, being diligent in tracing contacts and having a strong public health system.

Which doesn't bode well for the Anglo-American world, I'm afraid.

Comment

Tesco implementing their own rationing - max 3 items per customer per "product line". Edit - and Sainsbury's and Asda.

Comment

I like the cover of the latest Private Eye...

Comment

Earliest delivery slots for me Tesco 6th April and Waitrose 16th April. Sainsbury's not available and Ocado was a two hour wait to get on the site.

I've booked them as you can amend until the day before.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Sweden also seems impressive in that regard.

The Nordic countries generally, in fact.

I presume that it's down to affluent Northern European countries and their well-resourced, well-run healthcare sectors but I don't really know if the latter is actually the case and possibly doesn't explain why, say, France and the Netherlands aren't doing a lot better than they are. Still, it might suggest that really good healthcare treatment has much more than a marginal effect upon mortality rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Flynnie View Post

Indeed. The shortages aren't solely down to people picking up huge quantities of a singe item at a time. If just a small proportion of shoppers gets a bit more than they would normally do, especially of specific items, the shelves are going to empty.

Comment

Also Boris Johnson isn’t Prime Minister in Germany and their equivalent of The Conservative Party hasn’t been relentlessly cutting back health and social care, and local government.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              The best explanation of the German figures that I've seen is a combination of testing a massive number of people, being diligent in tracing contacts and having a strong public health system.

Which doesn't bode well for the Anglo-American world, I'm afraid.

Yup. I'm sure that's pretty much the size of it, though I did wonder if any aspect of the the German treatment of the seriously ill was proving to be particularly effective at preventing death.

Comment

Ireland has conducted 5,000 coronavirus tests in the last week, which per capita is 6 times more than the UK. Per million of population, the figure is apparently second only to South Korea:

South Korea: 1,442 per million
                                Ireland: 1,111
                                UK: 368
                                USA: 61

Comment

[URL]https://twitter.com/upanizza/status/1237094001658003458?s=21[/URL]

Comment

Canada and US closing the border to all but essential services. I'm a bit concerned for the 1600 people who live in Point Roberts, WA. Most do their shopping here in Tsawwassen. There's one supermarket down there but supplies now have to cross two international borders.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Yup. I'm sure that's pretty much the size of it, though I did wonder if any aspect of the the German treatment of the seriously ill was proving to be particularly effective at preventing death.
                                      6.6 beds per 100000 people in the UK

29.2 in Germany

also strong federal government.

Excellent critical media.

good contact tracing

Comment

The whole situation is very rough on exclaves

Functioning administrations realise this and make necessary provisions

Unfortunately . . .

Comment

Littlest one has a 38C temp this morning after a rough night. The cough continues to sound very "wet" and she has a ton of snot and a sneeze as well. Waffling on calling/taking her in to her regular pediatrician as I'm sure they're overwhelmed currently and her spirits are decent at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                            possibly doesn't explain why, say, France and the Netherlands aren't doing a lot better than they are.
                                            Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the Netherlands appear to be adopting a "que sera sera" UK-style approach, with some vague recommendations and no actual measures to close anything down.

Comment

I thought that they'd shut all the bars on Sunday evening. I had some friends who were in a bar in Rotterdam, and were given half-an-hour's notice of the place and all others shutting down.

Comment

We're so fucked.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                                  I thought that they'd shut all the bars on Sunday evening. I had some friends who were in a bar in Rotterdam, and were given half-an-hour's notice of the place and all others shutting down.
                                                  Ah fair enough, ta. Yes they do appear to have stepped things up in the last couple of days

Comment

Lorna on the BBC has just said, in noting that there are 700,000 children in nurseries or schools in Scotland, that as a result "more than 700,000 families" are going to have to change childcare arrangements. Not quite sure that the set of families with children is bigger than the set of children but maybe I'm the one who needs to go back to school.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X