No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible that the people who are hoarding bread are the ones who couldn't get any toilet rolls and are merely negating the requirement of them?

Comment

I'm leaving Ko Phangan tomorrow to fly to Bangkok and from there home to the UK.

aside from the travel issues - this is my third attempt at a flight - its going to feel strange/wierd/shocking going from somwhere where covid 19 is not a hot topic to the UK where its the main topic.

Comment

https://www.sec-ed.co.uk/news/corona...n-hancock-naht

An emergency bill to force schools to stay open. Is this real?

It's a trustworthy source.

Comment

My theory is that the toilet rolls have all been bought by people like me, who know that in the event of a lockdown we're going to have to cook our own food. This has serious bowel loosening potential for the Hopeless Single Men category, and therefore an adequate supply of paper is needed. Sadly, the theory does rather fall down on the fact that another symptom of the HSMs is that we're way too disorganised to think ahead in terms of domestic shopping.

Down to my last half roll...

Comment

Wonderful news about Tactical Genius's mum, it's at least given me a bit more hope. I have been worrying about Mrs of the Shed who has asthma and is taking assorted medicine since her recent thyroid removal. When she said she thought she was one of the high risks I said at her age she should be fine, but to be honest I've been worrying constantly about her.

Comment

The English and Welsh Catholic Church has followed its Irish counterparts:

https[URL="https://twitter.com/catholicEW/status/1240241342145413120"]://twitter.com/catholicEW/statu...41342145413120[/URL]

Comment

Schools in Scotland and Wales to close on Friday. Let's see what happens in the other two countries.

Comment

Sterling seems to be sinking like a stone against both the euro and the dollar since the outbreak began, though unclear whether they're actually linked.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                    Schools in Scotland and Wales to close on Friday. Let's see what happens in the other two countries.
                    Unfortunately, in the North, the local Education Minister is from the DUP, and appears to be resistant to the calls from other parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                      Wonderful news about Tactical Genius's mum, it's at least given me a bit more hope. I have been worrying about Mrs of the Shed who has asthma and is taking assorted medicine since her recent thyroid removal. When she said she thought she was one of the high risks I said at her age she should be fine, but to be honest I've been worrying constantly about her.
                      An update on my mum. Being discharged is a generous term, its more like her being kicked out. She is not free of Corona Virus as they have not tested her again. As her symptoms have subsided so they are sending her home and recommending 14 day isolation. hopefully she will not have a relapse after she gets home.

Thanks for all your best wishes. I'll probably go see her tomorrow or Friday.

Comment

Chin up, TG - hopefully your mum's over the worst of it.

Comment

So I came in this morning and the trainee solicitor in the Family Department stuck her head round the door to inform me that the two solicitors in the Department are now self-isolating. I congratulated her on her temporary promotion to Head of Family.

Then the guys installing a new fire alarm blew the power, cueing panicked emails/calls to mobiles from those working at home worrying why the remote server had just crapped out.

All fun and games.

Meanwhile, my daughter wakes up and gives a performance of mass coughing each day, but doesn't then cough again for the rest of the day. I can only assume she is having a crafty fag before she starts bothering us.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post

Unfortunately, in the North, the local Education Minister is from the DUP, and appears to be resistant to the calls from other parties.
                            They also said it would be a 16 week closure which makes no sense.

The idea is, from my understanding, that they'll try to factor in the Easter holiday and close for 4/5 weeks. The problem is some schools/ regions have their holidays a week earlier than others.

Comment

My Son's school is closed from today (although he has been off since the beginning of last week).

Comment

The announcement that the first member of the NYPD has tested positive has resulted in close to two dozen of his colleagues at the 1st Precinct calling in sick.

One thing that I haven't yet seen significant evidence of in the UK is retreat by the rich to secondary and tertiary residences in less densely populated areas. It is very much a thing here in New York (even in our building) and in Paris. Somewhat less so in Italy, though I think that reflects the widespread dispersal of positive cases. Berlusconi has fled to Nice, which is a bit strange.

Comment

Well, the super-rich are already non-doms.

Comment

Also, the rich can afford to get tested so can begin getting treatment before they get ill unlike the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
                                      When the self-isolation instructions were first issued, my son said to one of his sub-team managers, "I bet X and Y (notorious shirkers) will self-isolate now". Sure enough, they were the first to call in sick on Monday
                                      Same here, even though the virus doesn't appear to have hit West Yorkshire to a great degree, it has cruelly struck down the most work shy and generally unreliable colleagues.
                                      However, as there's seemingly no testing going on for the general population, there'll be no comeback once they do actually get the virus.

Comment

Waitrose in Greenwich had tinned tuna and other tinned produce, there must have been a delivery. No toilet roll but people had it in their trolleys.

I had another email from sainsbury's explaining their policies, I'm hoping that by the weekend things will be a little calmer and clearer.

This nonsense has to stop and I hate being a part of it. I bought loads of pouches for Miss AE yesterday, enough for a few weeks or so. I hated doing it but if I didn't buy them then what would she eat? There were loads of them there too but nappies and most of the baby milk was gone.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                          One thing that I haven't yet seen significant evidence of in the UK is retreat by the rich to secondary and tertiary residences in less densely populated areas. It is very much a thing here in New York (even in our building) and in Paris. Somewhat less so in Italy, though I think that reflects the widespread dispersal of positive cases. Berlusconi has fled to Nice, which is a bit strange.

I don't think that it's a big issue, but: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-51937753

Comment

I'll remark again how low the mortality rate in Germany is, relative at least to the other majorly affected Western European countries, with all the usual caveats about the publicly-available statistics, and ask if anyone knows why it might be?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              USD 14 billion endowment at the Hershey Trust (maybe a bit less after recent market losses).

I've done work with the candy company and they take the Trust and its mission quite seriously.
                                              And yet they take the production of half-decent chocolate so unseriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                I'll remark again how low the mortality rate in Germany is, relative at least to the other majorly affected Western European countries, with all the usual caveats about the publicly-available statistics, and ask if anyone knows why it might be?
                                                Sweden also seems impressive in that regard.

Comment

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1240283424734294018

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                    Much better intensive care bed ratio for one thing

Comment

Working...
                                                    X