X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gt3
    replied
    Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    If I was being charitable, I could argue that it helps people drift out of the pub slowly rather than there being a big rush with everyone together.

In reality, I think it’s just not thought through.
    It is indeed all about staggering the staggering out times (!). But why not just make it 20 minutes...who the fuck is gonna nurse a pint for an hour???

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    If I was being charitable, I could argue that it helps people drift out of the pub slowly rather than there being a big rush with everyone together.

In reality, I think it’s just not thought through.

Leave a comment:

• gt3
    replied
    If the pubs in England have to stop serving at 10 but can stay open until 11 for drinking up, how does that make sense financially? It'll mean that publicans will incur the overheads including staff costs for an additional hour where they aren't earning any money...like much of this government's Covid-19 policies, it just doesn't seem thought through.

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    Zero deaths in Ireland for the first time in two weeks.
    And the county rates have fallen significantly:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1330932863731179520

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Zero deaths in Ireland for the first time in two weeks.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    I spoke to my dad briefly yesterday. He is very keen on pointing out how badly the USA has managed Covid-19. I mentioned that the UK has a higher death rate than the USA, more deaths per million people. He got very annoyed and started blustering on about that being because we're recording the deaths properly and the USA aren't. There is not really any point arguing with him. He wants to think the UK is managing this well and will just get increasingly belligerent if you present any information to the contrary.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Italy is the sixth country to report more than 50,000 deaths from Covid-19.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    The current global death toll of 1.398 million+ is now higher than the population of Trinidad and Tobago.

Leave a comment:

• anton pulisov
    replied
    I posted this before: Swedish professor interviews Taiwanese minister.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    Excess death in the UK

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Fair play that seems like well founded analysis from MP O'Brien. And lies from the Daily Mail.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul S View Post
    I have taken the following from the Office for National Statistics website for overall deaths in October 2020:

2.Death registrations and the overall mortality rate for October 2020
    In October 2020, there were 43,265 deaths registered in England. This was similar to the number in October 2019 (eight more deaths), but it was 2,713 more than the five-year average (2015 to 2019) for October. Of the deaths registered in October 2020, 21,966 were males and 21,299 were females.
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/birthsdeathsandmarriages/deaths/bulletins/monthlymortalityanalysisenglandandwales/october2020

Yes, just 8 deaths between October 2019 and 2020 !!!!!

This thread, by an actual Tory MP (yes!), criticising some similarly reported figures in the Mail, is very good on this
    https://twitter.com/NeilDotObrien/status/1330830796966518785

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Yep

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    All of which make the reported measures with regard to surface contamination appear to be even more ridiculous

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    My understanding of what Taiwan had done right was closer to HP’s - super vigorous test and trace, heavily enforced quarantine on arrival and if you are infected/have contact by using mandatory tracking apps combined with phone calls and home visits, and widespread masking. And because case counts remain low - no more than ten cases on any day since April - it’s possible to have this regimen and have almost everything return to near-normal. If any European or North American countries had managed their lockdowns properly in the spring, they could have got to this sort of position, too. It’s slightly easier in Taiwan with a relatively small number of well controlled entry points, but it wouldn’t be impossible elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• anton pulisov
    replied
    The Czechs, despite managing to mostly avoid a first wave, are soon set to equal France's first+second wave deaths per capita.

Their curve over the past month or so is the steepest I have seen in any country at any time.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Indonesia is the 21st country to reach 500,000+ cases, and has recorded 16,000+ deaths.

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    Steve Baker, Brexit headbanger MP who voted against the Human Rights Act is "looking at a copy of the European Convention on Human Rights" citing the right to a family life as an anti-lockdown argument without a trace of irony (or intelligence, although that goes without saying).

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Apparently, Astra-Zeneca (who are the big-pharma partner of Oxford University in this vaccine) want it to be available at cost (approx $3) in perpetuity. Now, I'm not necessarily assuming that's exactly true, but if it is it is really important and impressive. And if this low dose-high dose regimen is genuinely workable, then this could actually be the vaccine that beats Covid.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    But...

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1330785038737281025

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    The Oxford developed vaccine is reporting 70% efficacy, significantly lower than the other two.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Same here. Plastic gloves were mandatory in shops for some months; now, hand gel is encouraged and masks are compulsory.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Thank you

They just seem to be very cautious, which is understandable

An obsession with surface contamination was very much part of the first wave here, but as pretty much disappeared.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Quite

What are they doing in terms of spending time with others, indoor activities, social distancing, etc?
    No time with others. The three of them spend almost all their free time in their condo. The two adults teach, and their twelve year-old daughter is at school. Which means they are all out of the house a fair amount. He is also involved in the BCTF (union.) Their groceries are delivered. She is a serious cook and has contacts among local Asian suppliers. They do all the rest of their shopping on one day in the week. D realises it's probably overkill, but they'd rather go in that direction, than push the boundaries. They live in one of the most culturally diverse areas of the GVRD, so are really aware of extremes, particularly in educational settings.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied
    I was unaware they are having games.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X