Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Archer doesn't seem to like the wind.

Comment

Archer's radar and rhythm seem a fair way off right now.

Enjoyed that post above jameswba

Comment

Yeah, the early wickets are obviously better than not... but now it's these two guys out in the middle. Eep.

Comment

oooh, Stokes wasn't convinced... review

Comment

Love the name Ruchira Palliyaguruge. Any excuse to hear it.

Umpire's call on the wickets, so not out but review retained.

Comment

Pretty underwhelming today from England really – Smith and Labuschagne, again, batting on a different plane from the rest, until the latter was done by the ball of the day from Overton.

Comment

"The two Australia fans who were ejected by police after abusing Jofra Archer got what they deserved. “Jofra, show us your passport,” they shouted, and “enjoy your visit to England.” The pair topped it off with chants of “Barbados, Barbados, Barbados.”

Stay classy.

Comment

Weather forecast not great.

Comment

I'm feeling angry this morning. TMS has been going for 20 minutes, and Agnew has been talking without interruption about how strange a batsman Smith is, his antics, how "crazy" he is, how he could be on Strictly Come Dancing, how England need to come up with a game plan just to deal with how weird he is. There's an undertone I don't like at all.

Firstly, he's talking about the best batsman of his generation, so as a journalist he is missing the point. Secondly, even if he was rubbish, people are different. However Smith chooses to behave it should not be mocked.

Comment

@TC- sadly a lot of oafs go to cricket, get pissed and become abusive. Archer, Labuschagne and Stokes are getting the brunt of it because of their background

@DD- Agnew's schtick- basically 'Yes, I know I'm a Tory bore who's been phoning it in for years- but listen to Boycott ha ha' needs replacing. I'm not being ageist, he's just tedious
                      Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 05-09-2019, 11:12.

Comment

Yes, DG. TMS has some great voices at the moment, but it periodically has a tendency to rest on its laurels.

Archer has just bowled his first 90 plus mph ball since Lords, if the speed gun is to be believed.

Comment

You can afford to spend 20 minutes talking about Smith's oddities, because you know he's going to bloody be there all day, so there'll still be ample time to talk about everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony C View Post
                            "The two Australia fans who were ejected by police after abusing Jofra Archer got what they deserved. “Jofra, show us your passport,” they shouted, and “enjoy your visit to England.” The pair topped it off with chants of “Barbados, Barbados, Barbados.”
                            Is this really enough to warrant being thrown out of a match? Is there an insinuation that the abuse was racist?

Comment

I imagine they were threatened with eviction when other fans complained to the stewards, who then called the Police when they wouldn't shut the fuck up . So yes, they deserved to be thrown out. The same would apply to the England fans chanting that La Boosh can't speak English etc etc

Comment

A quick shot of the crowd shows one guy has come dressed as a Barbie doll, complete with cardboard packaging.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                  I imagine they were threatened with eviction when other fans complained to the stewards, who then called the Police when they wouldn't shut the fuck up . So yes, they deserved to be thrown out. The same would apply to the England fans chanting that La Boosh can't speak English etc etc
                                  I did wonder about that but the (unattributed) quote doesn't give us any more info (I think it might be from Paul Hayward who mentions the incident on Twitter but I'd be surprised if he was anywhere near it when it happened).

On the information above alone, an expulsion seems OTT. I've seen and heard more than enough prolonged boorish barracking of players at test matches by people who "wouldn't shut the fuck up" without any kind of sanction being taken.

Comment

They'd have to evict half the Western Terrace on those criteria, but I think the key is whether the barrackers are an isolated minority whose views are offensive to the majority, which would not be the case at Leeds.

The racist aspect is in the eye of the beholder, but the usual rule is to take the recipient's perspective. If Archer suspected a racial motive, I would go with that.

Obviously there's no consistency - e.g. the crowd reaction to Smith's concussion, which could easily have become something far more serious, even fatal, led to no evictions AFAIK.

Comment

RdG- sure, we've all heard it over and again and probably become more accepting- but much of that is down to lax or inconsistent stewarding. If they did step up this time, good on them.

This sort of incident often features a range of misbehavior, from witless chanting through abuse of other spectators, players and stewards to racism/ criminality. The first tends to lead directly to the second. Follow a yellow card with repeat offences and you can expect to walk...

Agree generally with Satch above

Comment

Wade gone, but Smith still there and heading for another ton not out. He's been applauding Leach's spinning, as if to say "that was a good one mate. Not good enough, but well tried".

Comment

Smith's consistency is amazing.

Comment

I don't really think that England should keep on trying to get Smith out. He's too good. They should just try to limit his strike and focus on the other 10.

Comment

Yeah agree. He's looked even better here than at Edgbaston. England have bowled Ok today

Comment

AAAAAAGGHHHH!!!!!!

(That was the no ball, by the way)

Comment

England taking that advice to extremes, there.

Comment

Any left arm spinner no-balled for overstepping should be taken outside the gates and shot.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X