No announcement yet.

Ashes to Ashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope that you are only applying that rule to professionals, as otherwise my time may soon be up.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
      I hope that you are only applying that rule to professionals, as otherwise my time may soon be up.
      A bowler who literally walks up to bowl. Like the extra centimetre makes a difference. I am beside myself

Comment

Lefties are different, VT

Comment

Don't I know it......

Comment

Is there a specific reason it's actually worse for a left arm spinner to overstep than another kind of spinner?

Comment

I think that we tend to have slower run ups

I hadn't seen this before and am now willing to subscribe to VT's newsletters for crimes this egregious

Comment

It's not the first dismissal reversed due to a no ball from a spinner this series, is it? I'm sure I've been shocked to see another one recently, unless it was a T20 match I've watched.

Comment

There's talk of getting the third umpire to give no-balls, but I'm still not sure how that helps the batsman to adjust his stroke, so it still does not stop the problem completely.

The real solution is to penalize the on-field umpires who are not doing this part of their jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    I think that we tend to have slower run ups
                    In terms of sporting techniques that I understand no more of however much I watch them, spin bowling is right up there with front row play in rugby.

The difference being that spin bowling is aesthetically very pleasing.
                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 05-09-2019, 14:10.

Comment

Australia might want to get England in tonight, given the weather forecast, but they could also set up a scenario where they only have to bat once and can just focus on taking 20 England wickets back to back between the rain delays. OTOH with back to back tests, a follow-on becomes less likely, and they will want to tire out Archer and Broad for the finale.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                        Is there a specific reason it's actually worse for a left arm spinner to overstep than another kind of spinner?
                        Not really, no. Any spinner coming in to bowl should be able to keep a bit of their front foot behind the crease.

Comment

This very much feels like a series-losing session.

Comment

Especially so if Stokes is actually hurt.

Comment

England's jumpers are a lot nicer than Australia's.

Comment

England have had an absolute shocker here. That drop by Roy was the classic 'fielding reflects the team mindset' situation.

Comment

Now I know more about what it must have been like to watch that 517-1 in Brisbane as an Australian. Will be surprised if Paine doesn't make a hundred here too, though they might want to put England in by the end of the day.

Comment

Will be surprised if Paine doesn't make a hundred here too
                                    Heh. I'm claiming that one. Though all too little too late

Comment

The little statistical tracker thing says England's best chance, by far, is to play for a draw. But it said that last time too.

Comment

That may be true, but playing for a draw is difficult in cricket; if you restrict your ambitions to wanting to survive, you often simply become a sitting duck. But you certainly could make an argument that Australia's best chance of winning the Test might be to be bowled out quickly now.

Comment

Overton is bowling in the high 70s miles per hour. England have been missing a slew of high quality or at least solid bowlers this series, Wood, Anderson, Tom Curran, a few others I've forgotten about no doubt also.

Comment

Tom Curran's unproven in Tests, but Wood and Stone have been missed

Comment

Stone! Of course. I think Jake Ball has dropped off the radar, but he didn't make much a of case I think. Still, I've been very much enjoying Wood on BBC radio.

Comment

Labour party man and AFC Wimbledon fan, of course

Comment

Meanwhile, Starc has just twatted Broad for three consecutive fours

Comment

Make that four

Comment

Working...
                                                    X