Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Anderson officially out of the series
    Does this also mean the end of his test career?

Comment

So, Denly to open with Roy coming in at four.

I suppose that whatever happens can't be any worse than what we've experienced so far.

Can it?

Comment

Overton in for Woakes, Denly to open with Burns, Roy shunted down to 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

I suppose that whatever happens can't be any worse than what we've experienced so far.

Can it?
          Sorry, just realised you;d already said much of what i just said. I think moving Roy to 4 makes sense. Though the main problem, that is to say having no trust in either opener, remains.

Comment

The other lot have dropped Khawaja

Comment

Feels a bit harsh on Woakes, this, but I appreciate opinion is divided on him. To my eyes his strike and econ rates are not far behind Broad's this series:

POS PLAYER TEAM MATCHES BALLS RUNS WKTS 4-FERS 5-FERS STRIKE ECON
              1 Pat Cummins Australia 3 697 315 17 1 - 41.0 2.71
              2 Nathan Lyon Australia 3 894 447 14 - 1 63.9 3.00
              3 Stuart Broad England 3 655 355 14 1 1 46.8 3.25
              4 Jofra Archer England 2 451 176 13 - 1 34.7 2.34
              5 Josh Hazlewood Australia 2 473 216 12 1 1 39.4 2.74
              6 Chris Woakes England 3 468 261 9 - - 52.0 3.35
              7 Ben Stokes England 3 506 297 8 - - 63.3 3.52
              8 James Pattinson Australia 2 390 167 5 - - 78.0 2.57
              9 Jack Leach England 2 231 102 5 - - 46.2 2.65
              10 Peter Siddle Australia 2 402 182 5 - - 80.4 2.72

Comment

I think he's not quite fully fit.

Comment

Here's the top 20 run-scorers so far. Cricbuzz the source for these, by the way.
                  POS PLAYER TEAM INNS RUNS AVG SR Fours Sixes
                  1 Steven Smith Australia 3 378 126.0 64.40 44 2
                  2 Ben Stokes England 6 327 81.8 60.22 35 11
                  3 Rory Burns England 6 242 40.3 42.23 29 -
                  4 Marnus Labuschagne Australia 3 213 71.0 51.20 26 -
                  5 Joe Root England 6 176 29.3 43.56 19 -
                  6 Travis Head Australia 6 160 32.0 45.71 24 -
                  7 Matthew Wade Australia 6 151 25.2 58.08 24 -
                  8 Joe Denly England 6 147 24.5 39.30 22 -
                  9 Jonny Bairstow England 6 136 27.2 52.71 15 2
                  10 Usman Khawaja Australia 6 122 20.3 64.89 17 -
                  11 Chris Woakes England 5 112 28.0 49.12 12 2
                  12 David Warner Australia 6 79 13.2 54.11 10 -
                  13 Tim Paine Australia 6 78 13.0 45.09 6 1
                  14 James Pattinson Australia 4 69 23.0 65.09 4 4
                  15 Pat Cummins Australia 6 58 14.5 36.48 7 -
                  16 Jason Roy England 6 57 9.5 44.19 9 -
                  17 Jos Buttler England 6 55 9.2 28.80 6 -
                  18 Peter Siddle Australia 2 53 26.5 45.69 5 -
                  19 Cameron Bancroft Australia 4 44 11.0 27.16 6 -
                  20 Stuart Broad England 5 44 11.0 48.89 5 -

Comment

Originally posted by Etienne View Post
                    I think he's not quite fully fit.
                    Weird to say it, but I hope that's the case as I'd rather he wasn't dropped!

Looking at the bowing figures altogether there - Archer really is exceptional, isn't he.

Comment

The other lot have dropped Khawaja
                      Labuschagne batting at 3, I presume? Starc in the squad with Pattinson rested too.

Comment

That's the expectation, yes, with Smith coming back at 4

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Can it?
                          Roy and Buttler are averaging 9 runs each for the series, so there probably is very little chance of that part of the team getting worse.

Comment

That's the expectation, yes, with Smith coming back at 4
                            Well they've got two of the three best batters in the series with Labuschagne and Smith, having them both available may well be decisive.

Comment

I love Khawaja, but this looks a bold and decisive team selection by Australia – Marnus, Smith makes for a tough heart of the batting unit, and Starc will be a threat. Denley at the top of the order is best of a bad job right now, but I would have liked to see Roy dropped. A triumphant win would have been a good time to politely usher him out, without any blame games. Overton sounds uninspiring but if Woakes is not fit then it's a logical step. I'm surprised they haven't gone for Sam Curran though, I thought they might be gagging to get him in the team.

Comment

Yes, that was my thought. Why haven;t they picked Curran?

Comment

Any clues on whether Starc will get the nod over Siddle?

Comment

The expectation is that he will, given his performance against Derbyshire.

Comment

Good. I would like to see how he compares to the other three in these conditions. If he gets significant swing on a good length, it could be another series changer.

Comment

Given that the apparent reasoning for Starc not featuring yet was the concern that he might prove too expensive, I can't work out if bringing him in after England have made a record run chase is contrary or justified.

Comment

He wasn't fully fit at the start of the series

Comment

I wasn't aware of that, there has been an awful lot of comment like this (to pick a random example) that his absence until now has been tactical.

This is an interesting article suggesting Starc's return is a direct response to the events of the last day at Headingley.

Comment

It does seem that Langer's plan for Australia to win in England has been to bowl economically and concentrate on drying up England's run-scoring opportunities. Cummins, Lyon, Siddle and/or Hazlewood are all fantastic bowlers capable of carrying such a plan out, freakish heroics from Ben Stokes notwithstanding. Langer has clearly been worried about Starc having one of his off games, spraying the ball around and putting extra pressure on his other three bowlers. Pattinson, they seem to believe, is less likely to have a game like this.

I'm not convinced by this thinking personally because a) Starc has a fine test record, b) he doesn't have that many real off-days and c) he offers things that Pattinson doesn't, such as his left-arm angle and ability to skittle the tail. His inclusion at Headingley might have made the difference since Pattinson didn't bowl much towards the end of the 2nd innings, while Cummins and Hazlewood were wasteful by their standards when bowling at Jack Leach. Starc would have kept bowled and lbw in play more than the other two did.

I also think Starc would have started ahead of Pattinson in previous games if the side had had someone to do the job Shane Watson used to do, ie bowl 8-12 overs a day of economical medium pace. Then they could have used Starc in shorter spells, as they did with Mitchell Johnson in 2013/14, and could have afforded his occasional waywardness. They obviously don't think Mitchell Marsh is up to this task - but Watson's bowling was a little-discussed, but still important, factor in that 2013/14 series.

If Starc is chosen for the Old Trafford, it might signal a slight change of thinking - that the England batting line-up is fragile enough that it can be got out for 150 or so, and that it doesn't much matter if you do this in 30 overs or 45.

Comment

Australia win the toss again. I thought Root was good at toss winning. Bloody rubbish

Comment

Harmison said this morning the moisture made it a good one to lose.

Comment

Decent start. A brace for Broad. Aussies 29-2.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X