No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She wants a coalition. A ministerial car and the chance to double the plastic bag surcharge.

Comment

The producer of The Walking Dead speaks

[URL]https://twitter.com/gunnergale/status/1188885609017798660?s=21[/URL]

Comment

The Tories keep talking about Labour's manifesto promise to deliver Brexit. Does that hold up if you are elected as an MP but don't gain power?

Comment

Who is that Roger Sterling lookalike who always sits behind Kenneth Clarke? At times he looks bored, other times arrogant all with a smug look that suggests he thinks he is levitating above everyone else.

I would love to see him lose his seat and have to do a concession speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
            Corbyn appears to be saying now that he could back the LD/SNP Bill if the date were to be fixed to facilitate students.
            You don't have to take me entirely seriously on this but how much bloody holidays do students get these days?!

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
              Who is that Roger Sterling lookalike who always sits behind Kenneth Clarke? At times he looks bored, other times arrogant all with a smug look that suggests he thinks he is levitating above everyone else.

I would love to see him lose his seat and have to do a concession speech.

Sir Desmond Swayne?

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post

You don't have to take me entirely seriously on this but how much bloody holidays do students get these days?!
                Apparently, December 9th is the last day of term.

Comment

Kate Hoey the sole Labour MP to vote for an early election.

Comment

Kate Hoey the sole Labour MP to vote for an early election.
                    Looks like she was the only DUP Mp to do that as well.

Comment

Well, the future does look good for the people of Vauxhaul.

https://twitter.com/FloEshalomi/status/1188507707231350784

Comment

Some moron posted this elsewhere.
                        No chance of this happening?

"Please do not worry about the EU's extension till 31st January 2020. They have played straight into Boris' hands and I can't believe the opposition and the EU have been so stupid. If you read this to the end you'll see why.

The repealing of the 1972 European Communities Act comes into force on Friday. Under that law, if there was a conflict between EU law and UK law EU law prevailed. Hence Article 50 supersedes the Benn Act and the Letwin Acts. Boris wanted to expose the traitors and so whilst the 1972 Act was in force he had no choice but to put forward Ms. May's withdrawal act whilst that act is still in force.

On Thursday the act is repealed. We take back control and we walk away and there is nothing they can do.

On a part-time basis I am an energy broker and I do this all the time. Under the terms and conditions of commercial energy contracts you can only tell your supplier during a narrow window period that you want to cancel–at a time of their choosing, not yours. If you don’t they can legally extend the contract as long as they want to and raise the rates as much as they want. It's caused many businesses to fold. If you want to leave during your contracted period you have to pay the money would have paid for the whole contract. So if you were in a 5-year contract and you wanted to leave after 1 year you'd have to pay 4 year's worth. Or you'd have to pay a huge sum and comply with some humiliating terms to avoid legal action if you were in arrears. (Does this sound like the Theresa May's withdrawal bill.)

Boris had to delay the repealing to expose the self-serving Labour politicians and traitors in order to win a general election but he did so using the protection of Article 50. The Benn Acts and the Letwin Acts are meaningless because after Royal Assent there must be a commencement order signed by the PM. If he has any sense he'll make that 1st November!

Once you terminate the contract during the narrow window period and you've cleared your arrears you can walk away and there is nothing they can do.

In conclusion the EU and the opposition have been played for fools and Boris has been a master tactician."

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

Sir Desmond Swayne?
                          Just checked Google, that's the fellow. I wouldn't mind standing on his toes for a few hours.

Comment

The last day of term is the 13th at most universities, though I understand that many students leave before then.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              The last day of term is the 13th at most universities, though I understand that many students leave before then.
                              Same in the USA?

Comment

No, usually later in order to allow for final examinations.

Comment

US universities start much earlier (around 20th August in my case)

Comment

This is probably a daft question, but if MPs can introduce a bill bypassing the FTPA and just call an election when they feel like it, what's the point of the FTPA with its requirement for a 2/3 majority or a no confidence vote?

Comment

It has proven to be a very poorly drafted piece of legislation.

US academic calendars are all over the place. Some universities don't start for a month after Satchmo's.

Comment

Originally posted by George C. View Post

"Please do not worry about the EU's extension till 31st January 2020. They have played straight into Boris' hands and I can't believe the opposition and the EU have been so stupid. If you read this to the end you'll see why.

The repealing of the 1972 European Communities Act comes into force on Friday. Under that law, if there was a conflict between EU law and UK law EU law prevailed. Hence Article 50 supersedes the Benn Act and the Letwin Acts. Boris wanted to expose the traitors and so whilst the 1972 Act was in force he had no choice but to put forward Ms. May's withdrawal act whilst that act is still in force.

On Thursday the act is repealed. We take back control and we walk away and there is nothing they can do.

On a part-time basis I am an energy broker and I do this all the time. Under the terms and conditions of commercial energy contracts you can only tell your supplier during a narrow window period that you want to cancel–at a time of their choosing, not yours. If you don’t they can legally extend the contract as long as they want to and raise the rates as much as they want. It's caused many businesses to fold. If you want to leave during your contracted period you have to pay the money would have paid for the whole contract. So if you were in a 5-year contract and you wanted to leave after 1 year you'd have to pay 4 year's worth. Or you'd have to pay a huge sum and comply with some humiliating terms to avoid legal action if you were in arrears. (Does this sound like the Theresa May's withdrawal bill.)

Boris had to delay the repealing to expose the self-serving Labour politicians and traitors in order to win a general election but he did so using the protection of Article 50. The Benn Acts and the Letwin Acts are meaningless because after Royal Assent there must be a commencement order signed by the PM. If he has any sense he'll make that 1st November!

Once you terminate the contract during the narrow window period and you've cleared your arrears you can walk away and there is nothing they can do.

In conclusion the EU and the opposition have been played for fools and Boris has been a master tactician."
                                        I believe the ECA repeal was automatically postponed with each extension, but happy to defer to our resident lawyer on that one.

Comment

As David Allen Green tweeted, there were reports in August that the Government had twenty completely legally bulletproof ways of exiting the EU on the 31st October. And yet, here we are.

Comment

I believe the ECA repeal was automatically postponed with each extension, but happy to defer to our resident lawyer on that one.
                                            Thanks DR.

Comment

He sounds like a typical nu:right expert. "I've done a bit of work in an unrelated field so I know how the whole European thing works!"

If he drank in your local you'd know him as "that loud twat who knows fuck all in the quiz night".

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                                This is probably a daft question, but if MPs can introduce a bill bypassing the FTPA and just call an election when they feel like it, what's the point of the FTPA with its requirement for a 2/3 majority or a no confidence vote?
                                                And more to the point, why didn't the clown and Cumdog think of this when they were doing all their clever and miserably failing strategising? They got the support of over half the MPs for some of those failed Parliament Act votes.

Comment

Johnson only got 298 votes in favour of an election the first time he tried it in early September, 293 the second time and 299 votes today. He cannot get an election without some opposition votes, and that has only become possible since the EU agreed to extend to Jan 31st. I think the FTPA votes were meant to embarrass Labour ("Corbyn is running scared") rather than genuine attempts to get an election; he always knew he didn't have the votes to even get a simple majority.
                                                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 29-10-2019, 00:55.

Comment

I take this person wasn't from Glasgow or the West of Scotland especially? If they were, they were definitely 'pulling your chain' ​​​​​​?
                                                    I don't know... I'm originally from that neck of the woods and there's a lot of otherwise intelligent people there who have some pretty bizarre ideas about Ireland/Religion.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X