The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
    How embarrassing for you. You seem to once again be conflating your extreme behaviour with that of an entire national movement,
    Please list what you refer to as my “extreme behaviour”

Comment

Tbf, for all the pertinent points TAB makes, he's no more aware of the machinations of Brit politics than the average Brit is of Irish ones.

That and Nef's position is extremely resolute.
      That's all.

Who can blame him for that, or anyone?

Comment

Evening George, but can't agree. Irish viewers, listeners and readers are saturated with English media, but the reverse doesn't apply. Largely for that reason I find Dublin's coverage of Brexit etc often more informative than the BBC, Graun etc

Comment

This.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
            Evening George, but can't agree. Irish viewers, listeners and readers are saturated with English media, but the reverse doesn't apply. Largely for that reason I find Dublin's coverage of Brexit etc often more informative than the BBC, Graun etc
            Only if they choose to be. Not like the old days where everyone picked up British TV regardless.

That and much Irish news coverage is slated for being too parochial. A bit unfairly based on my limited exposure to it.

An Irish colleague just pointed out also, large tranches of their press coverage is lifted directly from British media, based on ongoing reciprocal agreements. Or via 'Irish' versions of British papers.

​​​​Not that many Irish people would care to understand or appreciate said machinations regarding Parliamentary procedure and the like.

​​
            ​​​

Comment

Tbf, for all the pertinent points TAB makes, he's no more aware of the machinations of Brit politics than the average Brit is of Irish ones.
              The average Brit doesn't even know that Ireland has its own parliament.

Comment

I'd agree that for the most part Irish people are better informed than the Uk is about Ireland, but i think that's true of all european countries, British media is terrible at reporitingg anyything outside a narrow strip around London, which includes Windsor Castle Oxford and Cambridge . I think that Irish reporting of the UK, like German or French reporting is still largely dominated by the lens of the British media though, though obviously analysis of the brrexit negotiations is much better informed and focusses on the power dynamics not the spin.

Comment

Good point about the spin, Nef.

And Anton's probably right about the Dail.
                  Though they probably think it's full of nuns, wild eyed farmers and IRA heads, plus the odd Dave Allan or Graham Norton clone.

Comment

You should follow Tony Connelly of RTE Nef, little evidence of Brit Media in his reporting.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                      You should follow Tony Connelly of RTE Nef, little evidence of Brit Media in his reporting.
                      Seconded, he does a great job. I keep an eye on the Swiss perspective too, which is more, ahem, neutral on Brexit than French or German media. It is quite well followed in the old country because the bloody thing is making our negotiation with the EU twice as hard. There was a surprisingly robust editorial by Le Temps a few days ago calling for the deal to be passed and allow Europe to move on...

Comment

Brexit MEP resurrects the Article 24 GATT canard:

https://twitter.com/LanceForman/status/1187817256740446209

Comment

He looks a wrong 'un.

Comment

he comes from the H Forman smoked salmon business.

I recommend you boycott them from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                              he's excellent. I'd include him in
                              "t obviously analysis of the brexit negotiations is much better informed and focusses on the power dynamics not the spin."

it's more that analysis of Westminster politics and what's happening in the Uk more generally relies on British journalists

Which means "garbage in garbage out"

Comment

Originally posted by anton pulisov View Post
                                The average Brit doesn't even know that Ireland has its own parliament.
                                I think I've told the tale on here previously of a lengthy argument I had with someone who I worked with in Scotland who was above average intelligence (and I otherwise liked) and had been to Dublin several times, who was adamant that the Republic of Ireland was part of the UK.

Comment

Johnson to renege on workers' rights shocker:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1187821253236801536

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

he's excellent. I'd include him in
                                    "t obviously analysis of the brexit negotiations is much better informed and focusses on the power dynamics not the spin."

it's more that analysis of Westminster politics and what's happening in the Uk more generally relies on British journalists

Which means "garbage in garbage out"
                                    There are Irish journos based in London but. Who can make contacts of their own without depending on UK lobby types.

Comment

How sad, too bad:

https://twitter.com/fletcherr/status/1187836623196770304

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post

I think I've told the tale on here previously of a lengthy argument I had with someone who I worked with in Scotland who was above average intelligence (and I otherwise liked) and had been to Dublin several times, who was adamant that the Republic of Ireland was part of the UK.
                                        I take this person wasn't from Glasgow or the West of Scotland especially? If they were, they were definitely 'pulling your chain' ​​​​​​?

Comment

[URL="https://mobile.twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1187871381968568320"]https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/status/1187871381968568320[/URL]

those fuckers are shameless blame shifting cunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Diable Rouge View Post
                                            Damage already done, I fear, to both the newspaper and society.

Comment

Originally posted by George C. View Post

I take this person wasn't from Glasgow or the West of Scotland especially? If they were, they were definitely 'pulling your chain' ​​​​​​?
                                              From the south of Scotland and I worked with her long enough to know that she wasn't taking the piss.

Comment

I think George is suggesting that someone from Coatbridge or Kilbride is necessarily well informed on Irish Politics because those towns have a large number of Celtic supporters. It's a bit of a stretch, like.

​​​​​​​If senior politicians and journos over here can't be bothered to inform themselves why should we assume that random Glaswegians will?

Comment

More irrelevant gibberish.

Comment

Huzzah I seem to have pulled

Comment

Working...
                                                    X