No announcement yet.

The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit Means: Leaving Single Market, Customs Union European Court of Justice

alas not, had to listen on a live stream. they've gone to the buffet now

Comment

Assuming you can all get around the small visa difficulties and the fact that this place has a rather crazy President... this is the perfect place for Kev7's plans (and affordable).

Bring your own cult

Comment

Just tell him to stop bluffing and show you the exact spot on the Laffer Curve that maximises CT revenue. It'll beat anything Laffer could ever do.

Comment

Kev7 what about This place It sleeps 24 in beds, and it is very much at the edge of a continent.

Comment

I'd say you'd be a scary landlord Berba (if this is your family's hotel/gaff). I pity the poor bastard a month behind on the rent trying to stall for time all Greece like. Default means being driven to the Mayo border in your jocks. Pursued by ravenous hounds.

Comment

Self Catering Accommodation people pay in full in advance. My mam is coming up on 75 and it's too much for her, so she's pretty keen to sell the place, at which point my parents would move into Galway, and I could go to Dublin. The problem is that Brexit has fucking simultaneously wiped out the UK buyers, while directing a lot of money into the UK. And most people who look at houses are deranged fantasists trying to escape their lives.

About half of the people who have been to see the house come under the broad heading of people who work all the fucking time, and spend their holidays going around to look at property where they can recreate the Kennebunkport Dream. They decide which of their children will go where, and where their children will go. And the wax lyrical about how beautiful the place is, and then they'll get home, realise they live in fucking Tennessee, that the husband works 363 days a year, and they write you a nice letter.

There's an awful lot of fucking work that goes into preparing a house for infrequent viewings. You can realize when my mam is getting too stressed when she tries to hoover my dad.

Comment

An NYT perspective

Comment

Guardian gets around to reading that document GY posted the other day

There's an awful lot in the EU negotiating position that the UK is going to have to swallow with respect to the ECJ. The EU thinks the ECJ should be the ultimate arbiter of eu citizens rights in the UK after the UK leaves. But also the ECJ will remain the ultimate court for anything that happens in the UK up until the day the UK leaves, so in theory the ECJ could be making judgments on matters in england in 20 years time. Also the ECJ is to be the ultimate arbiter in all matters of trade that happen before the UK leaves. The ECJ is also going to be the body that ultimately oversees any arrangement between the EU and the UK.

This is entirely consistent with the EU's approach that the UK can change how it does things in the future, but it can't get out of the things it has already agreed to. I don't really know how on earth Theresa May is going to get past all of that ECJ involvement to even get to the Bill.

Comment

The FT works out the UK has to remake 750 international agreements, just to stand still.

Great map on a tweet by this guy.

https://twitter.com/PSMcClean

How easy is it for lots of those countries to form new negotiating groups in the 21 months before Brexit?

Comment

That Foreign Aid budget's looking a bit low, in the light of this.

Comment

Further to the directives mentioned above, there are now some more detailed position papers here from the Commission on citizens' rights and the financial settlement. Davis is already blowing a gasket, I see, though I don't know if it was specifically these he was thinking of.

The Commission should have full powers for the monitoring and the Court of Justice of the European Union should have full jurisdiction corresponding to the duration of the protection of citizen's rights in the Withdrawal agreement.
                        The Union obligations stem from:
                        (1) The Reste à Liquider ("RAL") from the successive Multi-annual Financial Frameworks during which the United Kingdom was a member of the Union;
                        (2) The financial programming for the period between the date of withdrawal of the United Kingdom and the end of the MFF 2014-2020;
                        (3) The liabilities as recorded in the consolidated accounts of the Union which are not balanced by corresponding assets, i.e.:
                        a. Pensions and other employee benefits,
                        b. Provisions3,
                        c. Financial liabilities not related to borrowings,
                        d. Payables and accrued charges4 other than RAL.
                        (4) The contingent liabilities disclosed in the consolidated annual accounts;
                        (5) The specific costs related to the withdrawal process.5
                        Sources for quantifying the obligations at the date of withdrawal:
                        The amounts for items (1), (3) and (4) should be extracted from the EU consolidated accounts established at the time of withdrawal and audited by the Court of Auditors.
                        The amounts for item (2) should be extracted from the latest updated financial programming.
                        The overall obligations as established at the date of withdrawal (= sum of items (1) to (5)) may be subject to limited technical adjustments linked to the actual implementation of commitments.
                        2. Share of the United Kingdom
                        Should the financial settlement include all the obligations mentioned above, the United Kingdom share of the Union obligations should be established as the ratio (in percentage) between all own resources6 transferred by the United Kingdom to the EU budget and the total own resources transferred by the Member States (EU28) over 2014-2018. These amounts include all specific adjustments of national contributions as defined by the ORD.

Comment

In the audience for a speech given by Hannan. He's even more obnoxious in person.

Comment

Did he take questions?

I'm not damning with faint praise when I say this, but I'd back you against him.

Comment

I linked to this on the Trump Thread, but I think that Theresa may has a lot to fear from The post trump era in Europe. The EU is putting on its big boots, and It wouldn't be a good idea to get caught underfoot.

Comment

antoine polus wrote: hmmm... interior design doesn't appear to be a French strong suite...
                                You didn’t expect a Philippe Starck-designed interior at those prices, did you?

Eg the second property in my post: €289,000 for a 14-bedroom water mill complex and large grounds with a waterfall, lakes/fish ponds + a swimming pool.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/overseas-property/property-58016951.html

(the blurb: Full description: Water-front ex-mill complex with 4 residences, waterfall, lakes/fish ponds, swimming pool with stunning surroundings - A rare opportunity to own a fantastic mill complex, including 3 large houses, a beautiful apartment, magnificent grounds, surrounded by water and woodland, in an idyllic, isolated location in the heart of the country yet walking distance to the village, less than a mile away with mini-supermarket, bar, infant school)

Comment

You don't even get Mitchell Starc design for that price.

Comment

Ha ha. James Cleverley, Tory MP, claiming a "mandate for Brexit".

Comment

You don't even get Mitchell Starc design for that price.
                                      Nicely done.

Comment

I nearly said Koo Stark, before I remembered she was quite stylish.

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: Kev7 what about This place It sleeps 24 in beds, and it is very much at the edge of a continent.
                                          My budget to create this commune for Brexit Refugees would be 300K tops.

http://www.wsc.co.uk/forum-index/28-world/1273971-brexit-means-leaving-single-market-customs-union-european-court-of-justice?start=800#1319391

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: Ha ha. James Cleverley, Tory MP, claiming a "mandate for Brexit".
                                            Pre-election: "Every vote for Labour weakens the mandate for Brexit"
                                            Post-election: "Every vote for Labour strengthens the mandate for Brexit"

Comment

caja-dglh wrote: Assuming you can all get around the small visa difficulties and the fact that this place has a rather crazy President... this is the perfect place for Kev7's plans (and affordable).

Bring your own cult
                                              Yes, it's within my price range and Trump wouldn't be a problem IMO (as I don't think he'll still be in office when the Brexit restrictions kick in proper - 4 or 5 years' time?, in terms of FoM I mean).

But as you pointed out caja your place is in the US, so that in itself is a big no-no as admin-wise there'd be too many hurdles to clear and hoops to jump through when actually living there for all of us foreigners/non US citizens (my commune for Brexit refugees would be solely for British people as I explained in a previous post on this).

Comment

Tubby Isaacs wrote: You don't even get Mitchell Starc design for that price.
                                                Sorry Tubby, I don't get it... Could you please kindly explain for us non-Commonwealth immigrants who stubbornly refuse to integrate fully into Britishness and absorb cricket into their new identity?

(has this Mitchell Starc now downed tools - no pun intended - and turned his hand to decorating/decorating & painting? I've never heard of Starc, have just googled him, saw that he is an Australian cricketer but I know sweet FA about cricket and very few names, only those cricketers who used to play professional football and Dickie Bird and Geoffrey Boycott - and that's just because I've lived in Yorkshire for nearly 10 years and even briefly lived near Barnsley in the early 90's - where Boycott had a terrible reputation! as a person - and also because of his highly-publicised trial in a French court in 1998, and his immortal words of course: "I couldn't understand anything, it was all in bloody French!"

Comment

Snake Plissken wrote:
                                                  Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs
                                                  Ha ha. James Cleverley, Tory MP, claiming a "mandate for Brexit".
                                                  Pre-election: "Every vote for Labour weakens the mandate for Brexit"
                                                  Post-election: "Every vote for Labour strengthens the mandate for Brexit"
                                                  You can see Corbyn's coalition coming apart very quickly once Brexit raises its ugly head.

Comment

Indeed. And with the spending plans.

I'd pipe down on "government in waiting" talk. Wonderful result, but didn't quite do it, so Tories need to get on with the job and eat their shit sandwich.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X