No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TIL that shortened URLs are completely blocked by the work firewall. No more tinyurls...

Comment

This must have come up on here before, as it seems a very OTF bit of trivia: only learnt today that WD-40 stands for Water Displacement version 40, which is very literal for an aerosol oil brand name. And also what I’ve always mis-called Duck Oil is actually Duct Oil.

Comment

Yup. And what everyone casually calls 'duck tape' is actually duct tape....tape to seal the joints in duct work so all the air doesn't leak out at every connection point.

Comment

Wait, people really call it duck tape? I thought it was just lazy pronunciation

Comment

It was, but became a brand, which is very USian

Comment

Not actually something I learned today, but last week; the biggest selling LP by a solo Beatle is All Things Must Pass by George Harrison. I found that both interesting and, frankly, astonishing. For those unfamiliar with it, ATMP is a triple album from 1970, so not only perhaps an unexpected choice, coming from 'one of the other two', but also an expensive purchase compared to single albums. I'd have gone some way down the list before I'd have guessed correctly.
              Last edited by 1974ddr; 01-11-2022, 20:29.

Comment

All four members of KISS released a solo album on the same day, and guitarist (and not very good singer) Ace Frehley's outsold everyone else's by a healthy margin.

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post
                  Not actually something I learned today, but last week; the biggest selling LP by a solo Beatle is All Things Must Pass by George Harrison. I found that both interesting and, frankly, astonishing. For those unfamiliar with it, ATMP is a triple album from 1970, so not only perhaps an unexpected choice, coming from 'one of the other two', but also an expensive purchase compared to single albums. I'd have gone some way down the list before I'd have guessed correctly.
                  Some sources claim that it was awarded three unit sales for every triple album sold, which is why it sold more than Band On The Run. But I think it would still be in the top 3, the other being the Imagine LP. All Things Must Pass presumably sold more than Imagine when Lennon was alive because Lennon has I believe sold more solo records posthumously than he did in the 70s (when he was usually too leftfield for big sales).
                  Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-11-2022, 23:34.

Comment

At least of those three, Band On The Run was/is listenable...

Comment

All Things Must Pass has a high critical reputation but I have no idea who was buying it unless it really was just off the back of My Sweet Lord, itself of course a plagiarized melody.

I own no solo Beatles studio albums, I should stress. I like Ram the best, of those I have heard online.

Comment

Originally posted by 1974ddr View Post
                        I'm assuming you don't spend a lot of time in charity shops or second-hand record shops or you'd have guessed it from the sheer number of copies of it kicking about

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          I own no solo Beatles studio albums, I should stress. I like Ram the best, of those I have heard online.
                          Best solo Beatles album is McCartney II and I'll fight anyone who argues different

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post

I'm assuming you don't spend a lot of time in charity shops or second-hand record shops or you'd have guessed it from the sheer number of copies of it kicking about
                            See also USian student accomodations through the mid 80s or so

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post

I was thinking about a No Parlez joke but that went triple platinum.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                                This must have come up on here before, as it seems a very OTF bit of trivia: only learnt today that WD-40 stands for Water Displacement version 40, which is very literal for an aerosol oil brand name. And also what I’ve always mis-called Duck Oil is actually Duct Oil.
                                I’m sure that has been mentioned on here before, yes. Along with the detail that version 40, along with the 39 less successful ones that preceded it, was developed for the US missile program(me). Oh and WD-40 is still made by the WD-40 Corporation (not their original name...) rather than having become just one more brand owned by one of the handful of big consumer products omnicorps (Reckitt Benckiser, SC Johnson, Unilever et al).

Comment

As usual I feel obliged to point out that the WD-40 company is based in San Diego (and was originally called the Rocket Chemical Company)

Comment

The better WD-40 in New York closed quite a while ago.

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                      The better WD-40 in New York closed quite a while ago.
                                      Surely WD-50?

I went there once. I was very sad when I discovered (also quite a while ago) that it was shut.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post

Surely WD-50?

I went there once. I was very sad when I discovered (also quite a while ago) that it was shut.
                                        Argh, right it was 50. I walked past it way too often.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                          Yup. And what everyone casually calls 'duck tape' is actually duct tape....tape to seal the joints in duct work so all the air doesn't leak out at every connection point.
                                          That might not be true.

A) Duct tape is shit for ducts. It dries out and fails. You need that metallic stuff. I think it’s made of aluminum.

B) It isn’t called duck tape just because of the brand. Duck is also a kind of canvas and the original version was a sort of laminated canvas with glue on one side.

It was originally invented to seal ammo boxes.

Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 02-11-2022, 03:31.

Comment

TIL that there’s something called cotton duck/duck cloth.

TI also L that I’ve been wrongly judgemental all these years about people who said duck tape, and about the brand Duck Tape. Now I feel like an arse, retroactively.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                              TI also L that I’ve been wrongly judgemental all these years about people who said duck tape, and about the brand Duck Tape. Now I feel like an arse, retroactively.
                                              Nah - it is a brand created because people are idiots. Like playing dice and it paying off with a brand name. They don't want "duck tape".

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                                All four members of KISS released a solo album on the same day, and guitarist (and not very good singer) Ace Frehley's outsold everyone else's by a healthy margin.
                                                Cos he was back in the New York Groove. The only real good tune off any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by slackster View Post
                                                  This must have come up on here before, as it seems a very OTF bit of trivia: only learnt today that WD-40 stands for Water Displacement version 40,
                                                  At least twice:

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...e5#post2493035

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...01#post1568889

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post

Nah - it is a brand created because people are idiots. Like playing dice and it paying off with a brand name. They don't want "duck tape".
                                                    But if you say it at normal speed. “Duct tape” and “duck tape” sound the same.

I also think “duck” actually makes more sense because it is waterproof. And, as I said, unsuitable for ducts.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X