No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why someone thought a North Sea ferry might somehow convey the glamour of a tropical cruise is hard to fathom.

Comment

I can't have been the only person who wondered if this years Oscar nominated cruise-ship based movie Triangle of Sadness got its name, in part, from the North Sea Ferry TV show.

Comment

Wiki is quite good on this:

Triangle is a BBC Television soap opera broadcast in the early 1980s, set aboard a North Sea ferry that sailed from Felixstowe to Gothenburg and Gothenburg to Amsterdam. A third imaginary leg existed between Amsterdam and Felixstowe to justify the programme's title, but this was not operated by the ferry company. The show ran for three series before being cancelled, but is still generally remembered as "some of the most mockable British television ever produced". The scripts involved clichÚd relationships and stilted dialogue, making the show the butt of several jokes—particularly on Terry Wogan's morning Radio 2 programme—which caused some embarrassment to the BBC.[2] (BBC Classic sitcom "Are You Being Served?" in Season 8, Episode 1 "Is It Catching?" hinted at the show being nausea-inducing for more reasons than just its setting. Even the anarchic BBC sitcom The Young Ones poked fun at the series, when one character says, "Even Triangle has better furniture than this!")

Just looking at the cast list I saw Sandra Dickinson on there, another one of those TV regulars who then just seem to vanish from the public consciousness.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
          Malcolm "Supermac" Macdonald is married to Carol, who was previously married to another "Geordie" legend, Brian Johnson.
          Taking it a step further. Geordie TOTP appearances in mid 70s often saw Johnson wearing one of Supermac club shirts.

Comment

Robert Vaughn was an anti-Vietnam War activist. Here he is on Buckley's 'Firing Line' in 1967:

Vaughn's memoirs are apparently something else:

https://medium.com/the-establishment...f-e596433d1dec

Comment

Interesting. I had no idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

The BBC report linked to earlier stories from about 10 years ago which showed how emaciated, and detailed how close to death, Deryck Whibley had become as a result of alcohol abuse, something that I'd missed at the time.
                His Twitter account was a sewer of bigotry and Trumpy bullshit. He seems to have deleted most of his tweets now. Maybe a new account.

Comment

This is rather embarrassing, but until last weekend, I had no real idea of when trains became a 'thing' transportation-wise. I knew it was in the 1800s, of course. But when exactly? No clue.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                    This is rather embarrassing, but until last weekend, I had no real idea of when trains became a 'thing' transportation-wise. I knew it was in the 1800s, of course. But when exactly? No clue.

The 1820s, I think. Or was it the 1830s? The first service did for a senior politician though.

Parochial pride forces me to embed this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surrey_Iron_Railway

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openin...hester_Railway

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                        Robert Vaughn was an anti-Vietnam War activist. Here he is on Buckley's 'Firing Line' in 1967:

Vaughn's memoirs are apparently something else:

https://medium.com/the-establishment...f-e596433d1dec
                        I remember Vaughn doing those ads for personal injury lawyers.

I just learned this about him.

He got a PhD from USC. His dissertation was on the Blacklist.

Also,

For many years, it was believed Vaughn was the biological father of English film director and producer Matthew Vaughn, born when the actor was in a relationship with early 1970s socialite Kathy Ceaton. However, a paternity investigation[25] identified the father as George de Vere Drummond, an English aristocrat and godson of King George VI. Early in Matthew's life, Vaughn asked for the child's surname to be Vaughn, which Matthew continues to use professionally.[26]

Comment

Wasn't Triangle the one that had a woman, possibly Kate O'Mara, "sunbathing" on the deck of a North Sea ferry in a biting wind in February in its opening credits?
                          The much missed by me 200% podcast did an episode on triangle.

Comment

Rashida Jones is the daughter of Quincy Jones

Comment

Yesterday I found out how I could borrow an ambulance. (An actual working ambulance.)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

We could almost start a new thread, if one hasn't already been started, for surprising family relationships.

Particular favourites are Raquel Welch and Fred Trueman being in-laws at one time, mainly when they were alive, and that Jennifer Dirty Dancing Grey is the daughter of Joel Cabaret Grey.

Comment

Jamie Lee Curtis and Adam Ant were once an item.

Comment

Yesterday I found out how I could borrow an ambulance. (An actual working ambulance.)

Was that shortly before you discovered that you can't turn the lights off in police cells?

Comment

Was that shortly before you discovered that you can't turn the lights off in police cells?
                                      No. There's a (semi)legit process that involves knowing who to phone in the ambulance service. You can't have the sirens on except on private land... like my office car park for instance.

Comment

Well duh...look at the last name...<rolleyes>

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post

Well duh...look at the last name...<rolleyes>
                                          Haha yeah no other Joneses in the world. I should have kept up.

Comment

Her mother Peggy Lipton had a sexual relationship with Paul McCartney in 1965.

Comment

We could almost start a new thread, if one hasn't already been started, for surprising family relationships.

Particular favourites are Raquel Welch and Fred Trueman being in-laws at one time, mainly when they were alive, and that Jennifer Dirty Dancing Grey is the daughter of Joel Cabaret Grey.
                                              Matty Healy of popular-with-the-young-uns hitmakers The 1975 being the son of Tim Healy and Denise Welch is one thing, but if his rumoured relationship with Taylor Swift becomes more formal, then those two being her parents-in-law is quite the culture clash.

(in fact, add "Tim Healy was only 31 when he first appeared as Dennis" to the original purpose of this thread).

Comment

Haha yeah no other Joneses in the world. I should have kept up.
                                                Indeed. And the musician Norah Jones....not Quincy's daughter, but Ravi Shankar's.

Comment

The US Post Office printed stamps in honour of Dag Hammerskjold but bodged the printing and created a rare error version of the stamp. When it was pointed out, they printed another 40 million (!) stamps with the error to make the error version worthless on the collector's market.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dag_...C3%B6ld_invert

Comment

Dag Hammerskj÷ld Invert were definitely opening for either The Stranglers or SLF around the turn of the eighties.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X