Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Labouisse is a bit of a cheat, as he accepted the prize on behalf of UNICEF which he'd only just been appointed to head up, but hey.

He was also director of the UNRWA in the '50s, just to hammer home how long that organisation has sadly been in existence, (formed in 1949).

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

Her husband and two other relatives (son in law?, grandchild?) also won Nobel Prizes. Five Nobel Prizes in the family.
    The Curie family is a French-Polish family from which hailed a number of illustrious scientists. Pierre Curie, his Polish-born wife Marie Skłodowska-Curie, their daughter, Irène, and son-in-law, Frédéric Joliot-Curie, are its most prominent members. Five members of the family in total were awarded a Nobel Prize. Marie and Pierre shared a Nobel Prize in Physics and Marie was awarded a second one in chemistry, making her the only person in history to win a Nobel Prize in two scientific disciplines; Irène and Frédéric Joliot-Curie won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1935; while Henry Richardson Labouisse, Jr., the spouse of Irène's younger sister, Ève Curie, was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1965. The chemical element curium (number 96) is named after Marie and Pierre.​

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    An impact between a ship and a stationary object like a pier or bridge abutment is called an "allision" as opposed to a collision, where two objects run into each other.

(Learned from commentary on the Baltimore bridge disaster.)

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
    I put this on the Current Watching thread, but it should really go on this one too: like her mother, Marie Curie's daughter won a Nobel Prize and they both helped set-up and operate mobile radiography units on the Western Front during WWI.
    Her husband and two other relatives (son in law?, grandchild?) also won Nobel Prizes. Five Nobel Prizes in the family.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    I put this on the Current Watching thread, but it should really go on this one too: like her mother, Marie Curie's daughter won a Nobel Prize and they both helped set-up and operate mobile radiography units on the Western Front during WWI.

Leave a comment:

• Stumpy Pepys
    replied
    I just found out Alan Titchmarsh is very popular in North Korea.

Leave a comment:

• Sits
    replied
    Chubby Checker's stage name was a play on Fats Domino.

Also Chubby Checker is alive.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Ethan
    replied
    Loved Van Halen when I was young. Fantastic live.

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    The famous Harry Selfridge quote, ‘the customer is always right’, was actually a contraction of ‘the customer is always right, in matters of taste’.

Which could have a rather different meaning: if the punter wants tat or anything unsuitable, sell it to them.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    Originally posted by WOM View Post

What, about the gold suits or….?
    Eh?

Leave a comment:

• Southport Zeb
    replied
    One of the inventors of Guess Who went to school with Anne Frank

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Since this has morphed into the Eddie Van Halen trivia thread… he also played on two songs on Thomas Dolby’s album Astronauts and Heretics; Eastern Bloc, which is a sequel to Europa & The Pirate Twins, and Close But No Cigar.

The late, great Grateful Dead guitarist Jerry Garcia also plays on a track.

Leave a comment:

• WOM
    replied
    Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    I assume that the version of Suspicious Minds featuring Jimi (as was) Somerville is the 1985 hit cover by Fine Young Cannibals? If so, then I didn’t know that either.
    What, about the gold suits or….?

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Balderdasha
    Please don't tell anyone that Eddie Van Halen sang on Beat It.

Leave a comment:

• Jah Womble
    replied
    I assume that the version of Suspicious Minds featuring Jimi (as was) Somerville is the 1985 hit cover by Fine Young Cannibals? If so, then I didn’t know that either.

To be honest, whichever version it was, I didn’t know that.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
    i like how eddie van halen is barely audible fot nost of the song, until shortly before his guitar solo.
    He, er, only did the solo. Which would explain him being barely audible prior.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    We are the world?

Why in hell?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    it has long been OM's entrance music and was Milan's goal song for several seasons

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    Originally posted by scratchmonkey View Post

The best thing about the video is trying to visualize all the drugs that were present in the various bloodstreams, both in terms of variety and amount.
    I think someone has made a programme about the recording of this song.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied

well the Cure were probably the best pop band of the 80's and 90s, but you wouldn't call all their music pop would you?

<runs and hides>
    Yes.

There are at least three definitions of pop. The Cure meets at satisfies at least one of them.

1) Whatever is popular or at least intended to be popular among a large audience who doesn’t necessarily know much about that form. That could even include some jazz or orchestral music - ex) Boston Pops.

2) Music in a format that was originally designed to be sold on 45s and played on the radio. This can include music that never actually got on the radio or even music that wasn’t recorded.

It’s about the structure. 2-5 minute songs. Usually catchy, but it doesn’t have to be. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, verse, chorus, chorus, chorus etc. Or something like that. That could be anything from country to hip hop or anything really that fits that general format.

3) A specific kind of #2, that is especially catchy, usually dance-oriented and, as often as not, aimed primarily at young women. In the last 25 years, at least, pop is heavily produced, usually by Swedes.

Leave a comment:

• scratchmonkey
    replied
    Mushy brained coke addled schlager
    The best thing about the video is trying to visualize all the drugs that were present in the various bloodstreams, both in terms of variety and amount.

Leave a comment:

• The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
    replied
    Also if We Are the World isn't pop, what is it?

(I mean, it seems fairly obvious to me that is pop, and surely you'd have to regard it as "serious" on some level.)
    We are the world is clearly schlager. Mushy brained coke addled schlager

i like how eddie van halen is barely audible fot nost of the song, until shortly before his guitar solo. I wonder what lessons guitar bands like europe and van Halen drew from their biggest hits being 80% based around iconic synth riffs?
    Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 22-03-2024, 19:08.

Leave a comment:

• Toby Gymshorts
    replied
    Notably, Eddie Van Halen also only did the solo on Beat It, the main riff was played by the guitarist from Toto.
    Steve Lukather.

The 12" version of Why is an absolute banger.
    Yes, yes it is.

Leave a comment:

• Eggchaser
    replied
    Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
    There’s something quite comical about explaining that Eddie Van Halen was the lead guitarist in Van Halen.

I was never a huge fan of Van Halen per se, but one thing I’ve discovered recently is the brilliant use of their music in mash ups with soul, funk or disco by the mash up video genius Bill McClintock. The mash up of VH’s Unchained with Stevie Wonder’s Uptight imho is one of the best songs on YouTube.
    Well, it might have been named after his brother, who is a pretty mean drummer.

The one I always like is Bowie pretending to play the outro solo in the video for Let's Dance. If you know, it's so obviously Stevie Ray Vaughan, his playing is just that recognisable to we cognoscenti.

Leave a comment:

• Hot Pepsi
    replied

I’m not really a Van Halen guy or particularly enamored with guitar gods in general, but “Ain’t Talking About Love” bangs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X