No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tape to patch gutters....I ask you. Coat hangers to repair wiring next?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
      Tape to patch gutters....I ask you. Coat hangers to repair wiring next?
      Patch a gutter. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a "repair."

Comment

Is it flex seal? I hope it is flex seal.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
          Speaking of the Beatles, this is a video that one of my best friends just finished for "I'm Only Sleeping" on the official Beatles YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/5XwXliCK19Y

Every frame of that is painted by hand. She's rather talented. And very exhausted given the tight deadline she had to complete this.
          Jesus fuck, what? By hand? That's amazing. I watched this the day it came out (because I stumbled across that album recently. And played the hell out of it, it was immediately recommended to Me)

My immediate response was that computers had made these things possible. But handdrawn.....

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

Jesus fuck, what? By hand? That's amazing. I watched this the day it came out (because I stumbled across that album recently. And played the hell out of it, it was immediately recommended to Me)

My immediate response was that computers had made these things possible. But handdrawn.....
            Yes. She has a secret technique which makes it a bit faster. But yes, the whole lot is hand-painted oil paint animation. It's her signature style. She's the woman at the end of the video and that's her studio.

Comment

1,300 individual oil paintings.

Comment

This is her website if you want to see more of her stuff: http://www.emcooper.com/

I appear briefly in one of her videos, but I'm not going to tell you which one so you'll just have to buy her entire back catalogue if you want to work it out. It also might not be obvious even then.

Comment

poor woman, they made her do a video for the longest song on the album. a whopping 3.02 mins. If they'd gone for "for no one' it would have cut a minute off. That's a great song as well and well worth a video
                  Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 02-11-2022, 23:51.

Comment

Speaking of the Beatles, this is a video that one of my best friends just finished for "I'm Only Sleeping" on the official Beatles YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/5XwXliCK19Y

Every frame of that is painted by hand. She's rather talented. And very exhausted given the tight deadline she had to complete this.
                    Can you reveal how much they paid her?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

Can you reveal how much they paid her?
                      I don't know the answer right now. I know the general ballpark she gets for her work. It tends to be quite a tidy sum, at least five figures, but given the amount of work she puts into it, it often doesn't work out as an enormous amount per hour. I don't know what the remuneration was for this specific piece, but given the client, and the fact that my friend's profile has increased and improved over the years, it might be quite substantial.

Comment

Any idea what size each of the paintings was? And did she retain ownership / can sell them?

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                          Any idea what size each of the paintings was? And did she retain ownership / can sell them?
                          Each painting is the size of the screen you see her wiping at the end of the video. I know she's physically still got quite a few of the paintings but I don't know if she's allowed to sell them. I'll ask.

Why, are you considering buying one?

Comment

Ah, cheers. I didn't watch far enough.

No, the overall effect is amazing but I'm not enough of a Beatles fan to want to own a frame...although I suspect many would. I was more curious around the question of 'ownership of artistic property'.

Comment

I found out recently that George Formby did not, sadly, receive the Order of Lenin.

Comment

She has a rather interesting website

http://www.emcooper.com/

and blog

https://emcooperfilms.wordpress.com/

The question of ownership of the original cells is going to depend on the terms of her contract. I am far from an expert in English IP law, but I wouldn't think that they would "automatically" belong to the production company (where as the finished video does).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  The question of ownership of the original cells is going to depend on the terms of her contract. I am far from an expert in English IP law, but I wouldn't think that they would "automatically" belong to the production company (where as the finished video does).
                                  Yes, exactly. Outright ownership is rather expensive, but paying her for the output and then allowing her to sell the cells as she sees fit would be a great arrangement.

Comment

I checked. The client (Universal Music and Apple Corps) owns all the paintings. She has to deliver them in a box next week.

Comment

Oh wow. Thanks for asking.

Comment

Yes. She has a secret technique which makes it a bit faster. But yes, the whole lot is hand-painted oil paint animation. It's her signature style. She's the woman at the end of the video and that's her studio.
                                        The video is fantastic.

Comment

Great talk by Kurt Vonnegut about his theory of the shape of stories:

https://youtu.be/GOGru_4z1Vc

Comment

And this is the same content but presented in a one page visual.

coolguides-ymgouz.jpg

Comment

The smallest English county is neither Rutland, nor the Isle of Wight, but the City of London.

Comment

Abba played two concerts in East Berlin in the months after winning Eurovision.

https://twitter.com/schoene_jens/status/1592064589977485312

Comment

I read something a few days ago (sue me!) about SOS by ABBA being the only song to reach No. 1 in the charts whose song title and artist(s) name were both palindromes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
                                                    I read something a few days ago (sue me!) about SOS by ABBA being the only song to reach No. 1 in the charts whose song title and artist(s) name were both palindromes.
                                                    Could be true. Able Was I Ere I Saw Elba by Racecar barely broke the top 10.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X