No announcement yet.

An interesting thing I didn't know until today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You clearly have never tried to fix an injured duck using it. I am now banned from having ducks as pets.

Comment

No, I mean, that like a duck, water doesn’t stick to it.

Comment

I mean it is unsuitable for ducks. And I lost my lawsuit against them to boot and got assigned lawyer fees.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post

Best solo Beatles album is McCartney II and I'll fight anyone who argues different
          Anyone else think that McCartney dressed up like Hank Marvin in the Coming Up video looks just like Richard Osman?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

But if you say it at normal speed. “Duct tape” and “duck tape” sound the same.
            Yes, absolutely. That's an example of a general pattern in spoken English, in which a certain category of final consonants get assimilated to the opening consonant of the following word, if that is also in the same category. For example, we say "pop plant" for "pot plant", and "goog game" for "good game".

There must be other examples with scope for hilarious misconceptions of the "duck tape" variety.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post

Yes, absolutely. That's an example of a general pattern in spoken English, in which a certain category of final consonants get assimilated to the opening consonant of the following word, if that is also in the same category. For example, we say "pop plant" for "pot plant", and "goog game" for "good game".

There must be other examples with scope for hilarious misconceptions of the "duck tape" variety.
              In Cymraeg, this is accounted for in the treiglad mutations at the start of words

P -> B -> Mh for example

Comment

See also “fuxake”.

Comment

No, I mean, that like a duck, water doesn’t stick to it.
                  Untreated cotton duck isn't waterproof though. I should know, I've got 15 metres of it in the house

Comment

Hang on, so it was actually originally called duck tape, and it is duct tape that is the modern corruption? Mind well and truly blown. That's a lot of people I've mentally looked down on that i would have ask forgiveness for if I'd actually said it out loud.
                    Last edited by ad hoc; 02-11-2022, 10:47.

Comment

Although it’s not waterproof, my new tape of choice is cloth tape which is versatile, easy to tear yet strong as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

P -> B -> Mh for example
                        Ah, beaten to it.

Comment

Sorry my post above was bollocks, just realised the two phenomena are not analogous. As you were. Nice point on the Welsh language thing though.

Comment

Anyway, I learnt recently that the Romans had great aqua-duck technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              All Things Must Pass has a high critical reputation but I have no idea who was buying it unless it really was just off the back of My Sweet Lord, itself of course a plagiarized melody.

I own no solo Beatles studio albums, I should stress. I like Ram the best, of those I have heard online.
                              This is a belter.

Comment

Yeah I like quite a lot of ATMP. Plus I reckon The Art of Dying anticipates the disco bass/cymbal combo by a few years.

Comment

I wonder how many people listened more than once to the third disc.

Comment

My sweet lord as written only sounds quite a bit like he's so fine. At least 50% of the problem is phil spector trying to make it sound like oh happy day.

if this was the first version released, people would have focused less on its similarities, which are a lot less obvious, and more upon the second coming being delayed because Jesus was worried about ending up in nina simone's sex dungeon

Play loud for best effect

Comment

The revelation that Duct Tape is largely useless for Ducts has shook me.

I am going to raise this with my cousin the high end HVAC Engineer next time that I see him.

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post

'Another thing coming' probably falls into this trap as well.

(Clue: it's 'think' - ie, 'if you think that, you've got another think coming'.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                          Although it’s not waterproof, my new tape of choice is cloth tape which is versatile, easy to tear yet strong as hell.
                                          Good duck/duct tape is fairly waterproof. That's why it was invented to patch ammo boxes.
                                          but there are better options. There is a kind of stretchy rubber tape that can stop leaks around the connection between a hose and a spigot.

Cloth tape, which I buy as hockey tape, is very good for applications where the tape sticks to itself. It's not very good for sticking things to other things.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                            The revelation that Duct Tape is largely useless for Ducts has shook me.

I am going to raise this with my cousin the high end HVAC Engineer next time that I see him.
                                            https://www.mrhandyman.com/blog/2016...-on-your-ducts

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                              I mean it is unsuitable for ducks. And I lost my lawsuit against them to boot and got assigned lawyer fees.
                                              So you got left with a large bill?

Comment

Good duck/duct tape is fairly waterproof. That's why it was invented to patch ammo boxes.
                                                but there are better options. There is a kind of stretchy rubber tape that can stop leaks around the connection between a hose and a spigot.

Cloth tape, which I buy as hockey tape, is very good for applications where the tape sticks to itself. It's not very good for sticking things to other things.
                                                Quality tape facts HP. I bought a thick tape for patching gutters which has been OK. WOM pooh-poohd it.

Comment

I bought some of that too. The problem is that the major gutter leak I want to patch is in an inaccessible spot.

Comment

Speaking of the Beatles, this is a video that one of my best friends just finished for "I'm Only Sleeping" on the official Beatles YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/5XwXliCK19Y

Every frame of that is painted by hand. She's rather talented. And very exhausted given the tight deadline she had to complete this.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X