X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick Monday breaking up as he announces the news during the game

https://twitter.com/AM570LASports/status/1554680670462435329

Comment

Josh Hader pitched a scoreless ninth and recorded his first win for the Padres in their second win of the day against the Rockies.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
        Brutal news for baseball and especially for Dodgers fans. Vin Scully passed away tonight.
        Just waking up to this, terrible shame, he was the voice of baseball for me, my first introduction to the game, in the season that produced this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N4nwMDZYXTI
        Last edited by Walt Flanagans Dog; 03-08-2022, 06:26. Reason: Edited imto a normal link because embedded videos seem to break the board

Comment

He was the GOAT and the world is a poorer place without him

At least he got to see them win it all one more time before ascending to a higher plane

RIP

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            He was the GOAT and the world is a poorer place without him

At least he got to see them win it all one more time before ascending to a higher plane

RIP
            Vin got to see his favorite team win it three more times, to be exact. Vinny loved his Giants.

He also called the greatest moment in SF sports history on CBS, his final football broadcast.

Comment

Great thread:

https://twitter.com/hankschulman/status/1554675115412971520

Comment

For folks who like the baseball parallels life narrative: we started out yesterday with a blockbuster trade that for one team (Padres) symbolized hope for a WS and for another team symbolized a kind of re-birth (Nats) with an injection of young talent that could hopefully make a competitive team in the future. A variety of other small trades that mean opportunities for young players to start their careers or to make subtle improvements that could make a difference in the playoffs. And then the day ends with the passing of someone who was mostly beloved. Crazy day that was both extraordinary and very ordinary.

Comment

I think Vinny might well have been the single most loved person in the sport.

And it wasn't particularly close.

Comment

Does this Soto deal make them "the f*&king Padres"?

Comment

They would have to join a very long queue

Comment

Soto, Bell and Drury all in the Padres line up tonight. I'm guessing Petco might be a sell out.

Comment

Petco is never a sell out except on opening day, is it?

There's a lot of talk about this line-up now leaves the Padres with a chance of being best wild-card team, but it's worth noting that over 20% of the rest of the Padres season is against the Dodgers which should discount quite a lot of hype, no matter how good the team is.

Comment

They look to have sold out five times in April (the first two against Atlanta and three with the Dodgers) and have exceeded 40,000 more than half a dozen times since.

Comment

That’s not the Petco I know and love…

Comment

Well.. the first inning with the new line up and we have a grand slam.

Comment

It is somehow fitting that the club that had the most significant trade deadline of all time are playing one that did literally nothing

Comment

I was shocked to see that Kris Bryant was hitting .300 before he got hurt again.

Dodgers bring up a rookie (who left Cuba) named Vargas to hep fill a gap with Justin Turner's nagging injuries. He's supposedly the best pure hitter in the Dodgers' system and so far has both RBIs (Dodgers leading 2-0 in San Francisco).

As I posted earlier, I don't know if the Padres can catch the Dodgers but once the playoffs start, it's a whole new season. The Padres have the pitching staff to do what is needed and for all the Dodgers' divisional dominance during the last decade there's only one WS title.

Comment

UA: Any chance you can represent me in a lawsuit against Kimbrel for some kind of unnecessary stress inducing behavior on his part?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                        It is somehow fitting that the club that had the most significant trade deadline of all time are playing one that did literally nothing
                                        Presuming youre not being hyperbolic, I sort of agree but my inner pessimist is thinking we can only know that in retrospect. If the Padres win the World Series this year then it definitely was the most significant trade deadline of all time.

I've just found out my brother in law is a Rockies fan. I suspect this is an attempt to unseat me as the family member who supports the least successful baseball club.

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                                          UA: Any chance you can represent me in a lawsuit against Kimbrel for some kind of unnecessary stress inducing behavior on his part?
                                          I'm no lawyer, but I think it would be hard to prove that Kimbrel does what he does to try and induce your stress.

Comment

I think that danielmak is in need of a mental health professional more than a lawyer.

PT is of course correct on the substance, but if on thinks of trade value and prospect rankings, the case for the Friars can already be made

Comment

I do feel a bit sorry that it’s the Rockies who, mid-series, get to feel the firepower of our newly armed and operational battle station. I almost feel like we should have held it back for two games and instead introduced it for the next three series against the Doggers, Giants and (ha) Nationals.

Comment

https://twitter.com/mlbeurope/status/1555222036787515392?s=21&t=rzCWgqVYsDL9NNJvZvGuKA

Comment

You coming, ursus?

Comment

It has occurred to me

Comment

Working...
                                                    X