No announcement yet.

MLB 2022: Pitchers Hit the Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a very personal view, but I'm trying to think how much I would have to be paid to watch "The Captain"

It is at least six figures

Comment

Yeah, I haven't had any interest. I don't think of Jeter as anything close to being the GOAT, and he just doesn't seem like a very compelling character. I've heard the story about his family and race is interesting, I just don't really have the interest spending hours watching a movie about him. Perhaps a 30-for-30 condensed version, but not this. I think ESPN might have been high on their own supply if they think that Jeter has the cultural reach that Jordan does.

Comment

There are a lot of Yankees fans who will lap it up.

Comment

Of course, just as there are millions of Massholes who devoured the Brady hagiography (which I would watch for slightly less, though still six figures).

Comment

You think that players have to be both good *and* interesting to be able to provide material for hours and hours of a documentary? You better be in disguise next time you come north.

Comment

Padres get swept by the Dodgers. There’s a lot of people reading a lot into the first full series after the Padres trades. And, let’s be honest, I think a lot of the wider baseball public might end up being very entertained if this doesn’t work. I hope the team’s decades of uselessness, alongside the absolutely balls-out nature of the shopping spree, mean that there’s still some retained affection for the team and San Diego don’t end up getting viewed as despicable nouveau riche like, say, an MLB Chelsea.

Comment

It is interesting to think about what would constitute "failure" for the Padres' "project" in terms of this season.

I would argue that losing a NLCS to either the Dodgers or the Mets would not be "failure" by any reasonable definition of the term and that any such "project" can only be evaluated over a period of at least three seasons, but there are a lot of more excitable voices out there.

Comment

From my perspective, getting to the NLCS in any of the next three years would be a massive success. Getting to a divisional series is a marginal success, but losing in the wild card series is a marginal failure. The thing is, they're probably going to be playing the Braves in that wild card series this year. There are a lot of very big hurdles to getting to the NLCS.

Comment

The swoosh is unfortunate, but I am otherwise quite happy with these

https://twitter.com/sn_mlb/status/1556647068378316801?s=20&t=pV8OijxDs0KsCHvVmC-wwQ

Comment

Pete Rose, anyone?

Comment

Still a douchebag

Comment

And even managed to make matters worse, were that thought possible.

Comment

The Padres could certainly benefit from overtaking Atlanta, but I would probably view their success through a three-year window. Do they make the playoffs of some kind all three years. Talent-wise they should.

The Mets having Scherzer and Degrom humming, which could present a big problem for every other team. It's a flashback to 2001 when Johnson and Schilling won a World Series and the rest of the D-backs pitching staff seemed to make up the numbers. Buck's skills are going to be tested because the Mets always find a way to a pull a Mets. If they can at least get to the NLCS then he will have done a lot.

I picked Dodgers over Jays in the WS during my pre-season picks, but right now I'd think Astros will be the AL rep and would worry about Dodgers overtaking Mets. Still a lot of baseball to play, Astros seem to be quietly moving a long as most of the media focuses on AL East and Mariners.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                              Still a douchebag
                              If he made it to the HOF he'd be among it's dumbest members, and that's saying something.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                Yeah, I haven't had any interest. I don't think of Jeter as anything close to being the GOAT, and he just doesn't seem like a very compelling character. I've heard the story about his family and race is interesting, I just don't really have the interest spending hours watching a movie about him. Perhaps a 30-for-30 condensed version, but not this. I think ESPN might have been high on their own supply if they think that Jeter has the cultural reach that Jordan does.
                                HE'S A BIRACIAL ANGEL!!!!
                                (He's actually good in that film. He should try acting).

Comment

Padres fan who remembers the before times when they were rubbish. They have to be aiming for a World Series given the scale of the project now. Anything less than the championship series is failure.

Yes they have to beat the Dodgers who just swept them. Or they have to beat the team that beat the Dodgers. So they've got to stop adding batters to the line up and sort out the pitching. (Which I was saying back in 2020 when Fernandomania started FFS)

I belong to some UK baseball fans group on Facebook and there are a lot of recent Padres fans. People getting into baseball and picking the team because of Fernando mainly. Does my head in. So the Friars better win something to make putting up with all these glory hunters bearable.

Comment

And now the Padres lose to the Giants.

Comment

The swoosh is unfortunate, but I am otherwise quite happy with these

https://twitter.com/sn_mlb/status/1556647068378316801?s=20&t=pV8OijxDs0KsCHvVmC-wwQ
                                      The Field of Dreams game was a nice idea as a one off. It loses its charm if they do it every year.

The uniforms are nice though.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post

I belong to some UK baseball fans group on Facebook and there are a lot of recent Padres fans. People getting into baseball and picking the team because of Fernando mainly. Does my head in. So the Friars better win something to make putting up with all these glory hunters bearable.
                                        There’s part of me that thinks the glory hunting arrivistes should get used to defeat and disappointment. If they’re going to be Padres fans, that should be their level of expectation.

But then I remember that spiting new glory-hunters is less important than my team actually being enjoyable to watch (should I ever get a chance to watch them in a sensible time zone).

Comment

From Calcaterra's newsletter

The Orioles are now just one game back of Seattle for the third Wild Card, one and a half games back of the Rays for the second Wild Card, and are just three back of these Blue Jays for the first Wild Card. They also have 14 — 14! — more games against the Jays down the stretch.

The O's are 3-2 up tonight after five
                                          Last edited by ursus arctos; 10-08-2022, 01:02.

Comment

Add me to the "would only watch The Captain if extremely well-compensated" list. At least Brady has the stats to back up his hagiography, Jeter is very high up the list of most over-rated athletes of my lifetime (and they're both hindered by the extremely unlikeable nature of both associated fanbases).

Comment

If he’d moved to a different position, it wouldn’t be an issue. His offensive stats were HOF caliber. But he wasn’t the best shortstop on his own team.

Comment

Yes it would be, because the "Count the Ringzz" assholes and their myriad enablers in the media would still claim that he was the greatest player of his era and that "the flip " was the greatest play ever made in the sport,

As bad as that whole thing was on ESPN, it was an order of magnitude worse here in NYC.

Comment

From Calcaterra's newsletter

The O's are 3-2 up tonight after five
                                                  5-3 down now. But there's a game delay

Comment

5-3 down, 6-5 up, doo dah.

13 games left v Toronto. 10 v Boston. Done with Tampa after Sunday, 7 v Houston. 3 home to the White Sox, 3 away to Cleveland, 3 in the Bronx.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X