No announcement yet.

MLB 2022: Pitchers Hit the Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching Padres v Rockies. Bud Black has just been ejected for arguing a successful Padres challenge to an out at home plate.

Comment

Ridiculous play by Machado there

Comment

Another 2016 draftee for the Dodgers traded. Mitch White to Blue Jays. I don't know what the hell the Dodgers are doing today. But I don't know the two guys who came back.

Comment

Maybe they feel sorry for the other teams in the league.

Shedding White and not getting a major league pitcher back seems strange given the general condition of the staff.

Getting too invested in a MLB team isn't good for one's mental and emotional health.

If only someone had told me when I was three years old.

Comment

Jays pick up Whit Merrifield from KC, and relievers Anthony Bass and Zach Pop from Miami. The latter is one to add to the excellent list of MLB names. Never figured out why it does so much better in that regard than other sports.

Comment

Merrifield is unvaccinated, which is giving rise to a lot of musings

Comment

Yeah. He's going to "work through it with his family" according to Jays' GM Ross Atkins. You'd hope they'd have sorted this beforehand but it's Rogers after all. Pop's from Brampton, Canada's sport capital. Half the Canadian men's soccer team is from there and it's also a huge lacrosse centre.
                Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 03-08-2022, 01:38.

Comment

Indeed. But with the worst logo ever.

Comment

Hah! No kidding.

My fitness trainer is a lacrosse official and ex-player. He's going to be in Brampton in a couple of weeks for the nationals. Everything he tells me about the sport in Canada makes you want to laugh or cry.

Comment

I sense that it isn’t well-organized. If it were, the professional version would be a lot more successful.

Comment

The only people who take box lacrosse more seriously than Canadians are the Iroquois

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                          I sense that it isn’t well-organized. If it were, the professional version would be a lot more successful.
                          I think that the primary issue is hockey's black hole effect of absorbing all of the light, attention and money.

Basketball and soccer can draw on communities that aren't as hockey centric, but outside the First Nations, the lacrosse demographic IS the hockey demographic.

And expansion of the league is fraught because the outdoor game is massively more popular in places like Baltimore and Long Island. It is very hard to build a major league out of Ontario and Upstate New York (Buffalo usually leads the league in attendance).

Comment

I guess that’s it. Although Saskatchewan and Calgary also drew relatively well this year as did Colorado and Hamilton (still called Toronto).

It’s also not ideal for TV. On TV, it’s harder to see the ball in lacrosse than it is to see the puck in hockey.
                            Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 03-08-2022, 02:16.

Comment

I don't know if there are territorial restrictions, but it would seem to me that Ontario could support two or three more teams

The travel costs must be crushing

Comment

It’s a matter of securing an arena that can offer the key weekend dates.

Comment

I don't know how Colorado does that, though the fact that Kroenke owns the arena and all three teams can't hurt

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                    Basketball and soccer can draw on communities that aren't as hockey centric, but outside the First Nations, the lacrosse demographic IS the hockey demographic.
                                    There are variations on how the game is played by First Nations and CLA box lacrosse leagues. For example the equipment's not the same. First Nation's teams play with wooden sticks — illegal in other leagues — rather than composition/metal, the rules are also somewhat different. The North Shore Indians (yes, that is their name) are the only First Nations team in the WCSLA to play by CLA rules. If there was more unity it might be a more successful sport.
                                    Last edited by Amor de Cosmos; 03-08-2022, 02:57.

Comment

Yes, but there are a good number of First Nations players in the NLL

Comment

But how many in administration?

Comment

Ah, likely zero

Comment

Brutal news for baseball and especially for Dodgers fans. Vin Scully passed away tonight.

Comment

Baseball seems less like baseball without him.

Comment

The greatest Dodger ever, possibly the greatest announcer ever.

Comment

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1554674029755334657

Comment

I am admittedly biased but he was top of the pyramid. I heard Harwell when I lived in Michigan for 4 years and he was excellent. I didn't get to hear some of the legends that pre-dated Vin or that were out and back in, like Mel Allen. But Vin was the best.

I think there are a lot of excellent announcers right now, but Vin had a gift for calling a game and weaving a story at the same time. Other announcers that I like a lot (Mets TV, Giants TV, I was a big fan of Sterling and Kay when they were the Yankees radio team) have a unique style but they tend to weave short anecdotes amidst calling the game. The storytelling isn't present. And I've posted before that Vin's partners in rotation (Ross Porter and Rick Monday) made an excellent team but he was different. Of course, to mimic his approach would not have made sense.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X