MLB 2022: Pitchers Hit the Bench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1554493539488350208?s=21&t=ftBo6aaMJ8mG7R_XihMtJg

Comment

I liked the look of Abrams when I've seen him. But still, the Padres are really going all in now. Hopefully enough of these players have enough left in their arms and legs to mean that it's not just a one-season gamble and we're looking at a decade of success.

Comment

I know everybody on here probably watches jomboy, but this pitching overlay is top notch:

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkxjc0RNt4...ZJuXkqoda3x6fs

Comment

Juan Soto is TWENTY THREE YEARS OLD

I think he has a bit left.

Comment

Padres get him for 2.5 years and three playoff runs. Don't even need him beyond that.

ESPN reporting a lot more players in this deal, including Gore. MLB Network reporting that Hosmer and/or Meyers to get rid of some current money and Nats would do that because of the prospect haul.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...to-sources-say

Comment

That version makes more sense to me

Comment

I was thinking across the board. Soto and Tatis are young.

But the rest of the batting line up are all roughly the same age. Not aged out, by a long stretch, but

Tatis 23
                Soto 23
                Machado 30
                Bell (if trade rumours are true) 29
                Hosmer 32
                Myers 31
                Voit 31
                Profar 29
                Grisham 25
                Kim 26
                Mazara 27
                Cronenworth 28
                Nola 32
                Alfaro 29

Comment

Ah. And then I read Daniel's post.

Comment

The issue appears to be that Hosmer wants more money to waive his non trade clause.

Hosmer, Soto, Bell, Gore and Wood are all Scott Boras clients.

Comment

Another cool overlay. god I love pitchers:

https://youtube.com/clip/Ugkx-OaQ1vR...RvuXflKuG5KS0k

Comment

Didn't think that Bell would also be leaving Washington in the same trade.

The upcoming Padres-Dodgers series just got more interesting.

Comment

Hosmer now appears to be going to Boston

Comment

I might have mis-heard this but I think I heard that Bell has the second best OPS in the NL after Soto so that's a good get, but the issue with Hosmer is complicated. The guy has a high baseball IQ and makes big plays/has big hits when "big" is needed. He would be the kind of guy that should be acquired by the Padres if he wasn't already there. The problem is that he's just not good enough over 162. If he could start at game 160 through the WS then he's the guy you want. The plus side for the Padres is that they front-loaded the contract. He still makes money but he's only owed 35 million over the next two years. I know *only* sounds funny to us mere mortals but in sports terms, that's not a lot.

That Nats were screwed because Soto turned down a lot and he is the best hitter right now. The good thing is they dodged a bullet. Soto's going to be the prototypical hit only player by the time he is 30. He will be a DH only. The Padres have him for prime years before he hits that station to station cliff.

Comment

You are the Gwyneth Paltrow of MLB and I claim my five pounds

Comment

https://twitter.com/jeffpassan/status/1554551377568972802?s=21&t=LdD-DtofflRV4930oEvLdg

Comment

Just coming to post about Voit as the salary clear.

Don't know enough about Paltrow to understand that comment. I guess it loses the effectiveness if you have to explain.

Comment

An overweening belief in woo.

Speaking of which, enjoy the Joey Gallo Experience

San Diego is picking up a large chunk of Hosmer's salary.

Comment

Cubs get a Philly pitching prospect who is having a breakout season in A ball for Robertson

Comment

Still don't get it but not worried about it.

Maybe Gallo can grow his beard back and that will lead to a magical batting average of 200. So disappointing to trade for a guy like this. Muncy is already filling the no hit, walk, HR role for the Dodgers.

Padres also trade for Drury. Now, here is where AJ Preller doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes. Last year he traded for a bunch of guys at positions where they were already stacked. Drury isn't going to unseat Manny. If Manny gets hurt, it's great to have Drury but Manny has been very durable during his career other than the knee injuries when he was young. I don't know if they gave up much for Drury but after the last two days of trading away top prospects, here is where I would have taken a pass and saved my prospects for next year when I actually need to fill a hole.

Comment

They got Drury for Victor Acosta, an 18 year old shortstop prospect.

Drury has played significantly fewer than half of his MLB games at third base. He has played almost as many at second and more than one hundred in the outfield (as well as first, DH and even short).

Comment

Bit sad to see Hosmer leave. Good luck in Boston, Eric. Being trade ballast is probably the most use Luke Voit has been for the Padres. Abrams and Gore may yet be greats. But at the moment no great loss.

Comment

Moniak to Angels for Syndogard. Moniak the last of a series of bad drafts by the Phillies during their re-build.

Comment

I am all in on The Vengeance of Thor

Comment

https://twitter.com/ZBerm/status/1554587372779618304?t=X-zhPsEVcCPFZBIG52hDGg&s=19

Comment

Baby Bears will lose Contreras and Happy for bupkus in the off season

We are back in the Bad Place.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X