The Brexit Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tubby Isaacs View Post

I'd hope "business" might show up this time.
    I think 'business' would be seen by some on the Leaver side as 'the establishment'.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
      Clearly the best outcome is that brexit gets cancelled (not postponed). Brexit is both economic suicide and poisonous racist dogshit. However, the only way I can see it being cancelled now is if the government (perhaps in some kind of cross party grand coalition style alliance) revokes it. A second referendum sounds like a really bad idea, to be honest.
      Yes, this. The political establishment (Labour and Tory) need to stop dicking around for the same short-term, popularity-courting reasons that got us into this shit in the first place - and do what the vast majority of them think is the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by johnr View Post
        I think 'business' would be seen by some on the Leaver side as 'the establishment'.
        It would, but locally focussed stuff could work. Where the firms had OK reputations to start with.

Comment

A little bit of control taken back by Parliament - government defeated 303 to 296 on the Yvette Cooper amendment to the Finance Bill, that any further budgetary impacts of No Deal are to be voted by Parliament.

Said to be the first government defeat on a vote at this stage of a Finance Bill since 1978. The DUP supported the government but 20 Tories revelled (and conversely 3 Labour MPs).

Comment

https://twitter.com/How_Upsetting/status/1082758088875225089

Comment

At last, an article of BBC product that both illuminates, and is intellectually rigorous:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001xs9

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                A little bit of control taken back by Parliament - government defeated 303 to 296 on the Yvette Cooper amendment to the Finance Bill, that any further budgetary impacts of No Deal are to be voted by Parliament.

Said to be the first government defeat on a vote at this stage of a Finance Bill since 1978. The DUP supported the government but 20 Tories revelled (and conversely 3 Labour MPs).
                On the other hand, by making no deal even less palatable, this vote makes Remain less likely and May's deal more likely.

Comment

FT reckons IAG's EU27 ownership wheeze isn't going to fly

Comment

Can't they just repeal this vote in the event of No Deal? I don't get it at all.

Comment

Can't they just repeal this vote in the event of No Deal? I don't get it at all.
                      As far as I can tell its impact in practice is that the government can't amend taxes to cover the cost of No Deal, it could still use Treasury Reserves or direct departments to use existing funding. But it's obviously a clear marker for future votes and unusual in itself that there was that scale of rebellion on a Finance Bill issue.

Comment

Also, Bercow has selected a Grieve amendment for debate, which would force May to outline her plans by Friday week, assuming she is defeated on Tuesday.

Comment

Seriously? That's pretty pathetic. There's no good reason she shouldn't do it immediately. After all she already delayed the vote.

Comment

As far as I can tell its impact in practice is that the government can't amend taxes to cover the cost of No Deal, it could still use Treasury Reserves or direct departments to use existing funding. But it's obviously a clear marker for future votes and unusual in itself that there was that scale of rebellion on a Finance Bill issue.
                            You can do an extra finance bill, surely? I think we had an extra "emergency budget" in 2010. Osborne was talking about a post Brexit "punishment budget" too.

Comment

You can do an extra finance bill, surely? I think we had an extra "emergency budget" in 2010. Osborne was talking about a post Brexit "punishment budget" too.
                              They can do it at any time, but it would still need to be voted on. They can use Reserves without a specific vote so that would be the quickest way of funding No Deal preparations.

The issue of the Grieve amendment mentioned above is about to cause a big row, starting around 1pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                                Seriously? That's pretty pathetic. There's no good reason she shouldn't do it immediately. After all she already delayed the vote.
                                She currently has about five weeks of can-kicking time, so compressing it to three days is progress in itself.

Comment

They can do it at any time, but it would still need to be voted on. They can use Reserves without a specific vote so that would be the quickest way of funding No Deal preparations.

The issue of the Grieve amendment mentioned above is about to cause a big row, starting around 1pm.
                                  I don't see why she'd lose a vote, that's the thing. It would be like passing a finance bill, wouldn't it?

Comment

UK commitments to NI on backstop.

Comment

I don't see why she'd lose a vote, that's the thing. It would be like passing a finance bill, wouldn't it?
                                      I don't think I'm saying anything different - it's a bit of symbolism and in practice it would get blown away in the chaos of No Deal becoming a reality, but it's still something that would have to be specifically overturned in Parliament and not just a given. When I referred to 'future votes' I meant the upcoming ones on Brexit generally, not specifically on if that issue came back.

Comment

https://twitter.com/leonardocarella/status/1082987502472957952

Comment

I don't think I'm saying anything different - it's a bit of symbolism and in practice it would get blown away in the chaos of No Deal becoming a reality, but it's still something that would have to be specifically overturned in Parliament and not just a given. When I referred to 'future votes' I meant the upcoming ones on Brexit generally, not specifically on if that issue came back.
                                          Ah right, thanks. What's confusing me is the way it's been hyped as "voting against no deal" by some.

Some positive news - Gardiner has "clarified" his stuff the other day was a personal view. So hopefully the leader will drop talk of renegotiating too. We might be getting somewhere.

Comment

It'll get lost in the business motion row, but:

Tory MP apologises for Paddy Ashdown 'from the grave' remark Lib Dem MP Layla Moran says that when she paid tribute to former Lib Dem leader Paddy Ashdown, the MP for North West Leicester "shouted 'from the grave'".

And back to the action - the business motion row is heating up. There may not be many kicks left in the can after all.

Comment

Another loss. By 11 this time.

Comment

Tories circulating motion of no confidence in the Speaker, who was elected by Parliament in 2017.

Comment

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1083031865735430146

Comment

I mean, if a majority of MPs want to do that they can, in principle, whether it's in the statute book or not. All this does is reinforce the EU 27's belief that the UK government is not to be trusted to stick to its deals, and hence the backstop is necessary. Very, very stupid, tactically.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X