X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens if May loses the vote?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
      if the UK is still in the same no-deal situation in 15 years time, you'll be an international pariah like Castro's cuba, or the last dozen years of Saddam's rule in iraq. People will be going on misery tourist holidays to take photos of the Diesel cars, in much the same way that people take photos of those 50's cars in cuba.
      Assuming that tourists get in, i.e. that they aren't killed by arrow shots as they approach the coast.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
        Yay! Chewing gum ban!
        Well then. Every cloud ...

Comment

Comment

May has agreed to take part in the BBC's debate scheduled for Sunday 9 December. However Jeremy Corbyn hasn't confirmed, preferring the proposal from ITV, on the basis that the BBC are deliberately scheduling their debate against the final of I'm a Celebrity. It's come to this.

Comment

Oh dear

How sad

Never mind

No Sat Nav for us after Brexit!

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-plans-...rexit-11566068

Comment

"If Britain wants to build its own system it would have to get all those countries to agree where to take spectrum from. That is a geopolitical headache for Britain to try to resolve if it goes ahead," he said.
                Gee, it's almost as if being part of a larger economic and political grouping has benefits when it comes to negotiating agreements with other countries.

Comment

In 2003 Galileo was almost scuppered by the US, which feared it threatened the integrity of its GPS system. Ironically Britain sided with the Americans against the newcomer.

I don't know if Ironically is the word you want to use there. "inevitably" would be a better word.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                    May has agreed to take part in the BBC's debate scheduled for Sunday 9 December. However Jeremy Corbyn hasn't confirmed, preferring the proposal from ITV, on the basis that the BBC are deliberately scheduling their debate against the final of I'm a Celebrity. It's come to this.
                    I must remember to be in a coma.

Comment

Whoever could have predicted that a referendum at least partly fought on a bid to end FoM from the EU would merely see that migration replaced by non-EU workers?

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                        They could put the test card on the other side and it would be more scintillating and dramatic than them two haltingly reading their prepared talking points at each other.

Comment

George L Huxley sounds very lively for 86.

Comment

Just a game to them.

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/1068042961324257280

Comment

Open Skies Agreement between the UK and US.

Comment

http://twitter.com/RhunapIorwerth/status/1067924278438477825

Comment

then again

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1068202384650919936

Comment

Originally posted by Lucy Waterman View Post
                                    They could put the test card on the other side and it would be more scintillating and dramatic than them two haltingly reading their prepared talking points at each other.
                                    I think Corbyn's pretty good actually. certainly did pretty well in the last election.

Comment

Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post
                                      Never understimate the death wish of the electorate....

Comment

YeH, both the new General Election and 2nd ref options fill me with dread.

Comment

The problem with Corbyn debating May on Brexit is that he's either actually equivocal about it, or is tactically trying to say nothing. Either way, it doesn't put him in a great position to rip May a new one about her incompetence, prevarication, wishful thinking, bullshit and so on.

Comment

Sturgeon at least has a grasp of facts and a settled non cake position to argue. Even fucking useless Cable and less useless but not many votes Lucas have that. Corbyn is just going to look like a chancer. And if he really doesn’t understand how there’s no transition without an agreed deal, he’s going to be torn apart.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight shadow View Post
                                              Never understimate the death wish of the electorate....

The lines haven't really moved then since the ref', have they? It's still pretty much 50-50, leaning towards Remain but only just.

I still regularly hear/talk to people who, despite Brexit being in the news every single day for nearly 3 years (campaign started circa January 2016), despite 1000s of articles and intensive media coverage on just about every Brexit-related topic you can think of, complain that they "don't understand what Brexit is about etc." I mean, if they don't understand that with a hard Brexit the country will be far poorer, that investments will nosedive, that their own families will suffer one way or another, that workers' rights will be hugely eroded over time, that staffing will become a serious problem very quickly in most areas etc. well, honestly, their heads need examining. I understand (so to speak) the ardent, "Project Fear" tabloid-reading Brexiter who hasn't budged in his beliefs because that's what (s)he always wanted (and that was probably half to 2/3 of the Leave vote) but I cannot for the life of me comprehend how you could fail to understand what's at stake nearly 3 years after it all started (well, I understand really, but you know what I mean). FFS, it's not rocket science.

Comment

The president of the Normandy region replies to Peter Lilley and his libertarian cronies who urged people not to worry about the checks on the French side post Brexit, that it would be "fine" and could carry on as if nothing has happened kind of thing and that anyway furriners can't check our stuff under WTO rules as it would be illegal to do so:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a8644736.html

Brexiteers 'not telling the truth' on no-deal consequences for UK food exports, says French regional president

Hervé Morin, president of the Normandy region, insisted checks would be unavoidable due to EU customs union and single market rules

Brexiteers are “not telling the truth” when they claim France would not need to impose onerous and costly border checks on imports of UK produce in the event of a no-deal Brexit, the President of the Normandy region has said.

Some Brexiteers have argued that because the UK and the EU are currently fully aligned in terms of food and plant standards it would be unnecessary for France to check UK produce entering the EU after 29 March 2019, even though Britain would suddenly be a “third country”.

And some have even sought to argue that the imposition of such checks would be illegal under World Trade Organisation rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Pérou Flaquettes View Post

The lines haven't really moved then since the ref', have they? It's still pretty much 50-50, leaning towards Remain but only just.

I still regularly hear/talk to people who, despite Brexit being in the news every single day for nearly 3 years (campaign started circa January 2016), despite 1000s of articles and intensive media coverage on just about every Brexit-related topic you can think of, complain that they "don't understand what Brexit is about etc." I mean, if they don't understand that with a hard Brexit the country will be far poorer, that investments will nosedive, that their own families will suffer one way or another, that workers' rights will be hugely eroded over time, that staffing will become a serious problem very quickly in most areas etc. well, honestly, their heads need examining. I understand (so to speak) the ardent, "Project Fear" tabloid-reading Brexiter who hasn't budged in his beliefs because that's what (s)he always wanted (and that was probably half to 2/3 of the Leave vote) but I cannot for the life of me comprehend how you could fail to understand what's at stake nearly 3 years after it all started (well, I understand really, but you know what I mean). FFS, it's not rocket science.
                                                  People are almost willfully clinging to their ignorance at this stage. At least in england. It’s like the last fucking days of intact Yugoslavia for willful bullshit bingo now.
                                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 29-11-2018, 22:48.

Comment

Ah, I've won my QT bet with my wife, on how long it would take Tim Martin to utter the word "fishing". She said about 3 minutes. I laughed at her naivety and said he'd be far quicker than that, I said under 1 minute. They're in Penzance tonight, it would have been rude of him not to get his fishing tackle early doors. I was right of course.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X