X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Taken across the street from our flat

https://twitter.com/nycparks/status/1743742595744891320?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    I should have gone on a choir trip to Haverhill MA as a young teenager but I was too afraid of flying at the time. It didn't occur to my parents to try and do anything about my phobia. I got myself out of it about five years later.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Why is there an aspidistra wearing a tartan hat and the visor off a suit of armour?

Cameron Carter to thread.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    It is, in theory, it's a slipper and a "congress boot", and in between is an arm with a shoemaker's hammer.

Haverhill, MA is famous for it's history of being cobblers.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
    "You're in Wales now, you're definitely in Wales... despite a fair few of the locals sounding like Scousers."

Was the third dragon strictly necessary?

Why is there an aspidistra wearing a tartan hat and the visor off a suit of armour?

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
    My old local Haverhill's crest looked like this. It's about twice as far from my old local Cambridge as Balders's one is from her Cambridge.

The crest is busy, and bits of it look like they were drawn by Balders's son.

Is that a severed arm in-between the shoe and the severed foot?

If so, it's more likely something my daughter would draw. She's spent quite a lot of this Christmas holiday period making stop motion animation videos about duelling Lego characters who cut off each others' heads. One of them has the capacity to reconstitute himself (like a sponge after it's been through a blender).

She asked me how it would be possible to defeat someone if they were so invincible that they could put all their limbs back together after you chopped them off. My suggestion of "seal all the individual pieces in jars and put them in separate prisons" was apparently acceptable.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    "You're in Wales now, you're definitely in Wales... despite a fair few of the locals sounding like Scousers."

Was the third dragon strictly necessary?

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    My old local Haverhill's crest looked like this. It's about twice as far from my old local Cambridge as Balders's one is from her Cambridge.

The crest is busy, and bits of it look like they were drawn by Balders's son.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Ad Hoc's crest begs a lot of questions. Does the lion represent one of Transylvania's famous local impalers who accidentally impaled himself and thus saved the town?

Leave a comment:

• blameless
    replied
    It's also no longer applicable to QPFC as they went semi-pro four years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Fussbudget
    replied
    I was hoping that Ludere Causa Ludendi meant something like To be lewd causes lewdness. But sadly it just means To play for the sake of playing.
    Makes sense for Queen's Park with their whole amateur ethos but a non-league club using it sounds a bit defeatist. "Ah well, we're rubbish but at least we've shown up"

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    This is my favourite locally

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    All this talk of town crests has piqued my interest enough to go search for my local Haverfordwest one (it’s the county town of Pembrokeshire). Bit busy, innit…

The motto translates as ‘O reader hail, may the Gates of Heaven stand open for thee‘.

Btw, we dodged the rain and floods yesterday. Was a rather pleasant day.

Leave a comment:

• Guy Profumo
    replied
    Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
    This one really takes the piss.

I approve the anti- monarchist sentiment in the crest though

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Also, what does the image of the sea represent to Haverhill? Or is that simply the crest of Suffolk and they've used it?
    Yeah, it's just the crest of Suffolk. Haverhill is essentially as far from the sea as it's possible to get in Suffolk.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Also, what does the image of the sea represent to Haverhill? Or is that simply the crest of Suffolk and they've used it?

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post

I like that one, apart from the fact that they've misspelled "embarrassment"

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    I'm almost tempted to buy myself this t-shirt.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    I was hoping that Ludere Causa Ludendi meant something like To be lewd causes lewdness. But sadly it just means To play for the sake of playing.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    I think they've also stolen Queen's Park FC's Latin motto.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post

Putting up pictures of football crests and then criticising them? You need to step away from the laptop and go for a long walk, or next thing you know you'll be arguing about VAR.
    This is the other local football club crest. Not as awful but definitely not good. Suggests that if you enter Haverhill you might prick your finger on a wicked witch's spindle, pass out and never be allowed to leave.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post

It's an absolute shocker. The fact that they've stuck part of the Postcode on there is particularly awful and probably unique.
    The postcode crops up in loads of terrible logos for the town, like this one. It's literally screaming "there is nothing good about this place except that you're sort of in commuting distance of Cambridge".

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post

There is a club in Liverpool called L4, named after the local postcode.
    And yet, I think their home pitch is in L5.

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Yeah, it was almost pleasant this morning, but the deluge was always a'coming...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X