Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Hmm, just heard a couple of loud bangs/crashes. Hope it was leftover fireworks and not more scaffolding coming down.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Me and the kids had been toying with the idea of going with him. I'm very grateful that we decided to stay at home even though I am currently having to sit in my children's bedroom in the dark to try and stop them injuring each other and in the vain hope that they might eventually go to sleep.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Storm Henk caused so much train disruption today that a journey that should have taken my husband about 3.5 hours took him more than 8 hours, most of which was spent stranded in Paddington station with hoardes of grumpy people all staring at blank black noticeboards.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    https://twitter.com/JoshEHargreaves/status/1742223832641912966?s=19

The scaffolding at the back of the building came down later.

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
    Incidentally, that's the building that caught fire a year or so ago. Clearly it's cursed.
    It just missed our neighbour who was cycling along moments before.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    Or poor scaffolders.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Incidentally, that's the building that caught fire a year or so ago. Clearly it's cursed.

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    A fresh breeze in Deptford:

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    Per the BBC weather app, Rotherhithe is due for a "fresh breeze". Meanwhile, all the trains are cancelled or severely delayed.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Auntie Beryl
    replied
    Odd, it's been referred to as Henk down here in the southwest for days now. Not much of a break between Gerrik and Henk, tbh. Think the wind died down for half an hour or so last Thursday.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul S View Post
    Storm Henk was named literally a couple of hours ago

I heard something similar, but Auntie Beryl must have some sort of high-level meteorological contact: https://www.onetouchfootball.com/for...11#post2861884

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    Bloody hell, that came out of nowhere. Storm Henk was named literally a couple of hours ago and now strong gale force winds are going to batter southern England. Even worse it looks like a sting jet has developed which means that areas that get hit will get major damage. Weeks worth of rain down here has left fields saturated so we could have quite a few trees down. Stay safe everyone.

Forecasters warn of travel disruption, roof damage and power cuts in southern England and Wales.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Moonlight Shadow View Post
    There is a lot pointing at a significant shit in the jetstream

Trump's not flying over again, is he?

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    I am following the evolution of a cold spell that has been appearing on weather models for a week now. Next weekend is when it starts. The interest is on the duration. There is a lot pointing at a significant shit in the jetstream and a shift that could last weeks rather than days.

We'll see but i hope we can look ahead to some shortfall in ppn activity, the country needs drying it out...

Leave a comment:

• Muukalainen
    replied
    The monkeys are coming, -32C forecast for Monday night. Getting drunk on new year and not getting safely inside is not a healthy option.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    [remember to look things up before wildly speculating]Oh, it seems Pia was named by a different naming group, due to where it came from[/remember to look things up before wildly speculating]

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Forecast here is for gusts up to 73mph around that time. That is near hurricane speed (albeit not a hurricane itself as that is a specific type of weather system which isn't what is passing through tonight).

Given that the storms are named alphabetically, and we were talking about storm Pia on 20/12 and it's storm Gerrit today... that is more than one storm system per day over the past week. The wind doesn't seem to have dropped below strong for that entire time and that isn't going to change for the next few days, either. Yet another indicator of more chaotic and energetic weather. Which is what global warming would do, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    It's getting proper windy here - we've had a few days this winter with 60mph + gusts but tonight the wind must be coming a different direction cos it's making that booming noise like thunder, even though the skies are clear. May not be a very restful night as it's supposed to peak around 2am.

Edit: Fuck me, it is thunder! Out at sea...
    Last edited by Third rate Leszno; 27-12-2023, 22:15.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by DPDPDPDP View Post
    2 football matches cancelled tonight. One in Glasgow, the other inAberdeen. Both pitches playable, but visiting teams unable to or struggling to travel to the matches. The same travel disruption is affecting fans travelling to the matches, especially to the Aberdeen game.

On my way to Chelsea V Palace - think I'm going to make it.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    Meantime, all eyes up the stratosphere where things are stirring....There also seems to be some tropospheric shenanigans on the radar but at the moment, I whisper to mysel that winter is coming...and hopefully a drier than average period

Leave a comment:

• DPDPDPDP
    replied
    2 football matches cancelled tonight. One in Glasgow, the other inAberdeen. Both pitches playable, but visiting teams unable to or struggling to travel to the matches. The same travel disruption is affecting fans travelling to the matches, especially to the Aberdeen game.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Glad to hear that jdsx

Been a stormy old winter so far.

Leave a comment:

• jdsx
    replied
    Daughter was on a bus to Inverness (from Glasgow) to see her boyfriend this morning. She got as far as Perth before being advised to turn back (i.e. catch another bus going south). Safely back home now... (@Storm Gerrit)

Leave a comment:

• Ginger Yellow
    replied
    I would have to be windy to blow them from the motorway to SE London.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X