Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Interesting, thanks Paul. So logically people on the coast should have been able to see an unusually low low tide today, right?

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    How many of you have a headache over the past few days? Well you may be interested to know that it's down to record high atmospheric pressure in the UK right now. The UK record of 1053.6hpa set at Aberdeen in 1903 isn't going to be broken, but going over 1050 in the UK is very unusual. This sets off headaches, ears popping and TV reception being not very good.

The UK hasn't seen pressure over 1050 for over 50 years and London has experienced its highest air pressure for over 300 years. The jet stream is due to move back over the UK soon, so back to wet and windy weather. Hooray!

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Near Alicante a couple of days ago:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...ZUS0NrV2pJX2RB

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Some gorgeous Scottish sunsets: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51174308

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    It turns out that “feels like 1F” means “feels very cold when you go for a walk across the Mystic River to get a coffee”. I don’t really have a frame of reference for these numbers.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/NotifyNYC/status/1217998224792936448

Fact Check: True

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Yeah, it has gotten propah cold

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    I’m just outside of Boston right now and the forecast for tomorrow has windchill temps at something like 3F! I’m not acclimated to this.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Fully grown snowdrops on my street on 16th January (presumably been there for a while but I only just noticed them). Strikes me as a little early? And we've had barely any days below freezing all winter.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    Yesterday morning at the beach

Leave a comment:

• pebblethefish
    replied
    Trains cancelled all day as track is under water. Was very lucky to hear this on the local news at 6.59 this morning, given that if I'm to get the bus instead I have to leave the house at 7.

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    Just took the mutt out for his evening business stroll, and almost got brained by a fair-sized branch brought down on me by the gusty winds. No harm done, but it shook me up a bit. Bloody vile wet & windy weather today.

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    The morning tide was a grey slurpee this morning. It's weird seeing breakers of that consistency, oddly threatening. -11C with wind chill down there.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    It's certainly very wild and windy down here in Essex tonight, 50mph with high tides has resulted in localised flooding, but this isn't unusual for this time of year. Personally I'm enjoying the weather!

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul S View Post
    Storm Brendan has deepened overnight and undergone extreme cyclogenesis. The good news is it seems it will hit only coastal areas and not inland.

Well, good news in general but not so great for the two Irish OTFers who do indeed live on the west coast.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Originally posted by Janik View Post
    I just spent a week skiing in Austria. First week in January. When it's supposed to be absolutely bitter (average daily mean temp of -5C), to the point where our group was much smaller than normal because loads said "yeah, not interested at that time, it will be way too cold and windy and unpleasant" It... wasn't. At all. Five sunny, still days, realtively warm and one slightly cloudy one. And by relatively warm, I mean the temperature was above freezing even at the very peaks on two of the days!
    Great for us in the short term, but it wasn't just a lucky six day period - this is how it's been since well before New Year, and is forecast to remain for a few days yet. It hasn't snowed properly there in two weeks or more. That is properly worrying and unseasonable stuff *cough*Man Made Global Warming*cough*. It also strikes me as potentially rather dangerous. The above freezing days will have melted some of the earlier snow, of which there was a decent amount. If another dump comes later in the winter, as presumably it will, that is going to be a weak layer in the snowpack with a great potential for avalanches.
    Yes the Mitteleuropean winter has barely arrived at all. It was -3 degrees here this morning when i got up. In the middle of January that's really warm. We've had virtually no snow. My daughter in Budapest told us that yesterday was like spring there.

Leave a comment:

• Paul S
    replied
    Storm Brendan has deepened overnight and undergone extreme cyclogenesis. The good news is it seems it will hit only coastal areas and not inland.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    I just spent a week skiing in Austria. First week in January. When it's supposed to be absolutely bitter (average daily mean temp of -5C), to the point where our group was much smaller than normal because loads said "yeah, not interested at that time, it will be way too cold and windy and unpleasant" It... wasn't. At all. Five sunny, still days, realtively warm and one slightly cloudy one. And by relatively warm, I mean the temperature was above freezing even at the very peaks on two of the days!
    Great for us in the short term, but it wasn't just a lucky six day period - this is how it's been since well before New Year, and is forecast to remain for a few days yet. It hasn't snowed properly there in two weeks or more. That is properly worrying and unseasonable stuff *cough*Man Made Global Warming*cough*. It also strikes me as potentially rather dangerous. The above freezing days will have melted some of the earlier snow, of which there was a decent amount. If another dump comes later in the winter, as presumably it will, that is going to be a weak layer in the snowpack with a great potential for avalanches.

Leave a comment:

• Diable Rouge
    replied
    Storm Brendan on the way tomorrow morning - gusts up to 130km/h expected, and thundery showers.

Leave a comment:

• Sporting
    replied
    Horrible

Leave a comment:

• Amor de Cosmos
    replied
    90km winds today with biting drizzle. It's like needles being punched into your face.

Leave a comment:

• hobbes
    replied
    We’ve had some interesting* weather here, recently. Like yesterday for example, it was mostly grey but about 14C. Then at 2pm the wind went nuts for half an hour then settled. Then it binned it down at about 4pm for 30 minutes and by 5.30 it was almost cloudless. Today it’s been sunny and 9C.

*Shit.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    After suffering through single digit (F) wind chills the other night (-13 C), we are supposed to be getting high temperatures of 68/20 on Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight shadow
    replied
    Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
    I'm no expert, but I think almost everywhere has the occasional wildfires. I assume geographical features like swamps and rivers and weather (rainfall, no high winds) help keep them from spreading out of control.
    You would think so but the Pennine moors, a very wet place most of the year, catch fire very easily after just a few weeks of dry weather. It was very bad in 2018 when the weather dried up in May and by July they were major fires all over the place

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul S View Post
    The North Atlantic is on a roll again as another bombogenesis - bomb cyclone - is due to hit Iceland tomorrow:

Yikes. Look out Iceland. There will be an awful lot of wind and wuthering, I expect.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X