Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Fair point Janik - it’s an 8.00 start. Current BBC forecast for Richmond (London) is 21C at 8.00 rising to 28C by noon (I reckon she might run it in 4 hours if she is able to keep going). Max later on is 31C, one degree below central London forecast.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Meanwhile here it's 95F- 35C - which is plenty warm enough for me. It feels dry, too. Went for a 50 mile bike ride this morning at a fairly leisurely pace, have drunk about 100 oz of liquid (about 3 liters) but haven't yet needed to relieve myself of any of it. It's one of those days where you don't think you've sweat because you're not damp, but really it's just evaporating before it has time to soak into anything.

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    Likely to get pounded again tonight and one can't rule out the hurricane at this point
    Local chatter was that it felt like a small tornado. It was probably microbursts, but it was messy. I feel good that I moved. I feel bad for the people that we sold the house to.

Leave a comment:

• Janik
    replied
    Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
    worrying about my daughter attempting a marathon tomorrow with a forecast max of 32C.
    Please say that it’s a least a morning start. Not that it’s going to be particularly cool tomorrow AM. But 32 is only reached around 3/4pm.

I had to abandon a hockey game at half-time today as one player was already showing early signs of heat stroke. The player was of fair complexion (ginger hair) but also conspicuously in good shape. If she could be suffering so quickly...

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    Likely to get pounded again tonight and one can't rule out the hurricane at this point

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Yesterday, a massive storm went through the town we were living in Massachusetts until a couple of months ago. Power has been out for well over 24 hours already at our old house and all through the town. The people who bought our place are going to be ecstatic about the standby generator that's enough to run the entire house. One of our neighbours appears to have had a tree fall on his roof. This is the road our little cul-de-sac is off:

https://twitter.com/KristinaRex/status/1700487947798159763

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    The timing is terrible - for Uk families with children who spent summer hols in the uk in pretty rubbish weather and are now having to go to school in the heat, for the uk tourism/holiday sector above all. For me personally, as a hot weather fan, it sucks missing the whole heatwave here on my hospital ward and worrying about my daughter attempting a marathon tomorrow with a forecast max of 32C.

Leave a comment:

• blameless
    replied
    Aye, a heatwave in September after a mediocre summer is not what anybody needs - the folk that don't cope well with hot weather are miserable, and the folk that love hot weather see this as a "too little, too late" scenario and feel short-changed.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Six days straight of 30+ degrees C here, in September. The average September temperature for 2012-2022 was 13.2C. This is no longer fun at all. The first thing I did this morning was make a jug of iced coffee and a batch of cranberry juice ice lollies. I'm currently cuddling an ice pack. It's not really cooling down overnight and our house has now absorbed more heat than it can dissipate.

Leave a comment:

• caja-dglh
    replied
    Yeah - HK weather has been terrifying. Beyond comprehension.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/scottduncanwx/status/1699865919986528528?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Leave a comment:

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    28° in sultry Tralee today!

Leave a comment:

• San Bernardhinault
    replied
    Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post

I do own a pair of white trousers, but alas and alack cannot get in them these days
    Because it's after Labor Day?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    That's very good to hear

And there are plenty of world class players who only used one foot

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    Thanks Ursus! Op was mainly a success apparently, though the impact on the sciatic nerve in my left thigh (which one of the excised tumours abutted) may mean I never get full mobility of my left foot back, too early to know yet.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    You are a good father

And it is great to see you back

All well?​

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    The Richmond (SW London) Marathon is this Sunday, current forecast 31C. One of my grown-up daughters is due to run in it. Very concerning.

Leave a comment:

• Tony C
    replied
    I’m in Walthamstow this weekend visiting my children and I see it’s getting up to thirty degrees while I’m there. I need to do a few underground trips and I fear it’ll be unbearably hot.

Leave a comment:

• sw2borshch
    replied
    Originally posted by Nefertiti2 View Post

I assume this is Fussbudget sw2borshch on the banks of the Tees before heading off to the Riverside
    I do own a pair of white trousers, but alas and alack cannot get in them these days

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    A horrendous year for Greece.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    https://twitter.com/wxnb_/status/1699018303849586757?s=12&t=xvOireV8JOIS_CpbTtDBow

Leave a comment:

• Nefertiti2
    replied
    Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
    I assume this is Fussbudget sw2borshch on the banks of the Tees before heading off to the Riverside

Leave a comment:

• Antepli Ejderha
    replied
    So, as regards what passes for "summer" in England, we had some very nice warm sunny weeks in June, utterly shit chilly and rainy July, not much better August, and now we are in the first day of a forecast last hurrah of 7 gloriously sunny and hottish days before the weather reverts to type for the autumn. As Sod's Law would have it, I will miss 4 of those, from Wednesday inclusive, in hospital, due to having a major operation on Wednesday with 4 days at least in hospital afterwards. Ah well, today, Monday and Tuesday will be nice.
    Good luck tomorrow and with the recovery. It must be quite serious if you're in for 4 days minimum.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    So, as regards what passes for "summer" in England, we had some very nice warm sunny weeks in June, utterly shit chilly and rainy July, not much better August, and now we are in the first day of a forecast last hurrah of 7 gloriously sunny and hottish days before the weather reverts to type for the autumn. As Sod's Law would have it, I will miss 4 of those, from Wednesday inclusive, in hospital, due to having a major operation on Wednesday with 4 days at least in hospital afterwards. Ah well, today, Monday and Tuesday will be nice.
    Very best wishes for a smooth and successful procedure, matey.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight Shadow
    replied
    I had a lovely 24 hours in the Yorkshire Dales after the weather finally decided to turn decent, got the tent out and found myself a lonely spot. Not a speck of wind overnight, the tent was dripping wet due to condensation and dew but it dried quickly enough.

Hopefully another such weekend coming after the coming week will be wasted at work​

Leave a comment:

Working...
X