Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S. aureus View Post
    I'm having some major stress about the kids going back to school (in 10 days) right now (well, it's been ongoing but is intensifying). I can't think that it's not irresponsible to have them all going back right now as if nothing was happening, which, apart from wearing masks, is what's planned. The other option is to pull them out of their schools entirely and do online classes, which has its own issues. So I can't decide which of the two highly unattractive options would be least bad, and it's very much stressing me out.
    WTF, who goes back to school on the 11th of august? Irish school holidays for primary school kids run from the end of june, to the start of september, and non exam pupils in secondary school are off between the end of may and the start of september.

57.2% of the total population has now been double vaccinated, 70.2% has been single vaccinated, and 8.6% of the population has tested positive for Covid-19 at some point since early 2020. This means we might actually be nearing a point where nearly 80% of the population has some level of immunity and that might be breaking some chains of transmission.
    Ireland passed out the Uk for the proportion of the total population that had a single vaccination at some stage during the weekend, leading to various tweets to that effect from the hse and govt, which inevitably took a hammering, I suspect that a good many of the people doing it were the ones that were hammering them for being behind the english in the first place. Twitter is not the place to go for reasoned or even remotely sane debate.

Comment

I think S.aureus is US based TAB.

Comment

There are places in the US where kids go back in late July. It's barbaric.

S. aureus is in the SF Bay Area. Mid August is not that unusual.

Comment

They've pushed the start of the school year back a couple of weeks since my son was in kindergarten - he started in late July for his first couple of years. June 15 was the last day of the 2020/21 school year, for those interested.
          Back when he was starting in late July, they'd get 3 weeks in October, December/January and April off. Now it's one in October and April, and 2 in December/January. I much preferred the old schedule.

Comment

https://twitter.com/GYamey/status/1422263728377053194?s=19

Thought this was useful.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              There are places in the US where kids go back in late July. It's barbaric.
              But.....but.... who brings in the harvest?

Comment

Mexicans for the most part

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post

WTF, who goes back to school on the 11th of august? Irish school holidays for primary school kids run from the end of june, to the start of september, and non exam pupils in secondary school are off between the end of may and the start of september.

Ireland passed out the Uk for the proportion of the total population that had a single vaccination at some stage during the weekend, leading to various tweets to that effect from the hse and govt, which inevitably took a hammering, I suspect that a good many of the people doing it were the ones that were hammering them for being behind the english in the first place. Twitter is not the place to go for reasoned or even remotely sane debate.
                  Scottish schools go back August 16th this year, the agonising short summer holidays I'm convinced has historical roots in Presbyterian sadism. Or at least dour training to prepare you for a life of all too brief moments of joy in a sea of uncomplaining suffering and disappointment.

I wonder how much Ireland overtaking the U.K. has to do with teh Brits leaving 8 weeks between Pfizer jabs. My sister had her first jab not long after mine, but won't get her second till the end of August.

Comment

My daughter goes back on Thursday 12th (Scotland)
                    Teachers return (In-service day) Tuesday 10 August
                    In-service day Wednesday 11 August
                    Pupils return Thursday 12 August

Comment

Delta has arrived in Argentina. Córdoba is the current centre of it, by the sound of things. Not many cases being reported so far but that'll change, obviously.

The Health Minister says the government will outline its plan this week to deal with people who've only had a single dose of Sputnik V. The results of studies on groups who've had a first dose of Sputnik V followed by one of either Sinopharm or AstraZeneca are being looked at, and he says they look 'auspicious', which is nice.

Comment

Have virtually all of the elite been vaccinated in other countries?

I know that the Messis were not considered at all unusual in Miami.

Comment

The early return of children to school in Scotland is one of the reasons that mid-to-late August is a good place to visit the country. Nothing to do with the children, but more to do with places being open and easy to get to.

Oh, and happy August Bank Holiday Scotland. That's an even bigger gap to the next one than we get in England...

Comment

Ursus, did the Messis go there to get vaccinated? Surely they'd have been vaccinated in Barcelona?

Seventeen thousand in the US alone (with Chile and Uruguay also popular destinations) between mid-April and mid-May, apparently.

Comment

No, they were there on holiday and went to a drug store. I think that they were too young to qualify for the Spanish government programme as of season end, didn't want to be seen as jumping the queue and knew that they would have no issue in Florida.

Comment

Oh wow. I'd just assumed that Lionel, at least, would have had to be vaccinated in order to play. Apart from anything else he put a few tens of thousands of dollars towards a fund to help CONMEBOL get footballers across South America vaccinated prior to the Copa América, and I thought that having jabs had been a requirement for the players involved in the competition.

Comment

I guess it could have been a second dose for him. I never heard of it being a requirement for la Liga (even now).

Comment

Yeah I've just googled it and the news sources here don't seem sure either – he was wearing a t-shirt that covered the top of his arm so they're not sure whether he was just accompanying Antonella or got one himself (they're not 100% sure Antonella got a vaccine, of course, but she was wearing a strap top and left with a plaster in the right place on her upper arm).

I've just assumed ever since the vaccines came out that clubs were sorting their players out and that it was a part of the bubbles they've all been expected to keep. It hadn't occurred to me that all the heavy breathing in close proximity to each other (and most pointedly opposing players), shouting in referees' faces and so on was being done by people who haven't even had one dose of vaccine yet, even if they are all shielding to a higher degree than the general public.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                      Mexicans for the most part

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post

Scottish schools go back August 16th this year, the agonising short summer holidays I'm convinced has historical roots in Presbyterian sadism. Or at least dour training to prepare you for a life of all too brief moments of joy in a sea of uncomplaining suffering and disappointment.

I wonder how much Ireland overtaking the U.K. has to do with teh Brits leaving 8 weeks between Pfizer jabs. My sister had her first jab not long after mine, but won't get her second till the end of August.
                                        I'm not sure how long the school year is in scotland, but it's 180 days here. (including exams in secondary school)

The reason we've caught up is we're banging out vaccines faster than anyone else in the developed world. We're vaccinating 1.25% of the population every day between first and second doses. There's a bunch of other countries very close to that, but that's basically them firing out the vaccines they're getting through the EU system as quickly as they can, into a population that are into getting the vaccine as soon as possible. It will be interesting to see how this goes on, but it seems to be running very smoothly at the moment.

Comment

It would do us a solid if some of those eager adopters got on the horn to their Trumpy relations over here

Comment

All my relatives horsed it into them at the first opportunity. Mind you my uncle and aunt would have remembered the polio and tb vaccine, and why. (also my uncle had a science degree and his wife was a nurse, and my Aunt, is planning on living to the heat death of the universe and beyond, for how could the universe exist without her to perceive it?)

Comment

https://www.sport.es/en/news/barca/t...erica-11690433

I can't vouch for the veracity of this info.

Comment

I would love to think science degree or nurse would get you to be almost certainly vaccinated, but it is far from the truth here.

Comment

Originally posted by Sporting View Post
                                                  https://www.sport.es/en/news/barca/t...erica-11690433

I can't vouch for the veracity of this info.
                                                  Yeah that tallies with what was reported here (which added, as I hinted above, that Messi pretty much paid for the 50,000 doses for South American players mentioned in this link himself).

Comment

190 long days in Scottish schools, Berba. Pretty much the early summer restart is the difference.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X