No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The City of Buenos Aires is now at exactly 70% fully vaccinated. Argentina as a whole is at 55.6%, with 71.67% having had at least one dose. Cases are up from last week, though, by about 20% in the seven-day average (to about 1,200). That makes this week the first week in something like fifteen or sixteen weeks that there's been an increase in cases. Deaths are still ticking gradually down, with a seven-day average of about 25.

Testing positivity has rocketed by 50%, but as that's because it's gone from 2% to 3% no one's panicking on that front just yet.

Comment

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1451573438196305920

Comment

If our media was any good at all, they would have been all over this relentlessly for days after, pinning any Tory up for interview to the wall over it, but there's been hardly a peep.
        Last edited by Capybara; 23-10-2021, 09:12.

Comment

The media is compliant and complicit now. Contrast with how they covered the Major government (so it's not purely a party thing).

Comment

There's been a stall in the downward trend here:

"On Thursday, the 14-day cumulative number of cases per 100,000 inhabitants came in at 43.2. This is a rise of 2.7 since last Thursday, when the incidence rate was 40.5 – the lowest figure recorded in Spain since the end of the fifth wave. Over the last seven days, the epidemiological curve has seen slight rises and falls, but it is clear that the downward trend has stalled for the moment."

https://english.elpais.com/society/2...rprise-us.html

Comment

My wife has joined the statistics. I'm still testing negative but she's been bedridden since last night, although it seems to be getting better.

She"s confined herself to quarters in our bedroom and I've exiled myself upstairs to the spare room to try and ward off the lurgi, but I suspect it's a forlorn hope.

The kids have been great, the usual squabbling has been at a minimum.

Comment

Hope it's nothing serious Eggchaser

At some point I'm going to catch it I'm sure and I've no idea what we'll do, do I isolate on the spare room?

Comment

BBC website watch: one Covid story, the lead story in fact, but it's just about travellers being allowed to take Lateral Flow Tests from now on. No other covid news above the fold. You really wouldn't think covid was at one of its highest rates ever here, tens of thousands of children missing school with it, almost a thousand dying a week from it, and the NHS under enough pressure that regional health authorities are calling for extra measures.

Comment

Just read a few quotes from the second in charge at the Ministry of Health. They're not worried about the descent having come to an end, but are looking at the numbers closely. Delta apparently accounts for 50% of new cases in the City and province of BA, and under-18s have gone from 8% of cases (she doesn't say when) to 25% of cases today – so just as well they're pressing on with vaccinating that exact group. No rise in hospitalisations or intensive care yet, apparently. No mention of this rise in case numbers coming about three weeks after loads of restrictions were lifted all at once, either.

Comment

https://twitter.com/devisridhar/status/1451947143271493632

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                        Hope it's nothing serious Eggchaser

At some point I'm going to catch it I'm sure and I've no idea what we'll do, do I isolate on the spare room?
                        I'm now a statistic, although I am (at present) lacking in symptoms.

Sadly, it's ruined half term for the kids, we had a load of things lined up including a weekend at my parents.

On the other hand, my wife spent some time watching Ambulance on the iplayer yesterday, which was shot in the middle of the chaos, so seeing old people carted off to die of Covid in hospital in their droves puts it somewhat in perspective, although it's always easy to feel sorry for yourself.

Comment

https://twitter.com/chrischirp/status/1452284440219201542?t=IkeyGscp_Cn3lYNGivc_AA&s=19

A suspiciously almost exact curve in Wales to SW England.

Comment

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1451916283138621449?t=UH3XpuBjLT7DXLKuYFi-zg&s=19

Comment

My mum has had her covid booster and her flu jab. One in each arm apparently.

Comment

Mine the same, on the same day (last Tuesday) though covid in the morning and flu in the afternoon.
                                My dad had his covid a couple of weeks ago, and his flu jab last Tuesday with my mum.

Comment

The infection rate is the highest it's ever been in Wales. 717 per 100,000.

The Welsh Government is floating the idea of extensive covid passports to restaurants and pubs. It's just a suggestion at the moment. The reaction from the hospitality industry is not positive. But they have a point because almost everyone I know who has been infected recently has got it from their kids. So why not close the schools?

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                    The infection rate is the highest it's ever been in Wales. 717 per 100,000.

The Welsh Government is floating the idea of extensive covid passports to restaurants and pubs. It's just a suggestion at the moment. The reaction from the hospitality industry is not positive. But they have a point because almost everyone I know who has been infected recently has got it from their kids. So why not close the schools?
                                    I was looking at the figures for my borough broken down by age the other day and it was noticeable that apart from a concentration of cases among those of school age, the next highest figures were not among people in their twenties, it was those in their late thirties and forties ie those most likely to have children of school age.

Comment

I got home this morning to a new full on lockdown. Schools closed for 2 weeks (not even school at home, just closed), masks everywhere including outside, only people allowed into shops (other than supermarkets and pharmacies) are those vaccinated.

Huge complaints from the anti vaxxers. My feeling is that if science, statistics, morality, a sense of community, and common sense are not enough to get people vaccinated, they can't really complain about being made second class citizens

Comment

Well, quite. A relief that the Romanian government is taking such a tough line, presumably, as the anti-vaxxers seem to be such a large proportion of the Romanian population that their political clout at the polling booth could have scared some governments off (e.g. our own shower here in the UK).

Comment

Well I wonder why that is...

https://twitter.com/bbchealth/status/1452578543741898754?t=vIlndy-PDEPZtZuOlX2XyQ&s=19

Comment

https://twitter.com/yahoonews/status/1452727012611829770?s=21

Comment

Yahoo News reporting news about yahoos.

Comment

https://twitter.com/TigressEllie/status/1453030252305911816?t=xg7MZ72JR_BFIHO2remQzQ&s=19

Comment

Just beyond awful, those child deaths.

And the UK new deaths figure today - 263 - bloody hell.

Comment

In more positive news, Ed Sheeran has COVID so his appearance on SNL is now in doubt.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X