No announcement yet.

Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ukraine is the 17th country to reach more than one million confirmed cases of Covid-19, and has reported over 17,000 deaths.

Comment

The USA reported another 3,401 deaths yesterday.

Comment

Europe is the first continent to exceed 500,000 deaths from Covid-19.

Comment

Africa has exceeded 60,000 deaths. Still fewer than France, Italy or the UK.

Comment

Worldwide we've reached an infection rate of 10,155 cases per million population, or 1% of the world's population has so far been confirmed to have caught Covid-19.

Comment

14 countries have reached a death rate of 1 death per 1,000 population or higher. They are all European apart from Peru and the USA.

Comment

India is now reporting that it has carried out more Covid-19 tests than China, 165 million+.

Comment

Someone I know decided to go and get tested ahead of having elderly relatives around on Christmas Day. He hooked himself, his wife and his daughter in for tests. All precautionary. No symptoms.

They all came back positive. He is slightly stunned. Christmas plans scrapped. He says he can't believe it because none of them feel ill.

I asked about the possibility of false positives. He said he can't get another set of tests done for 90 days.

Comment

In the last 48 hours there have been over 5000 positive cases and 114 reported deaths in Wales. The nightingale hospital in Bridgend is reportedly full.

Comment

Although this is interesting.

https://twitter.com/ArfonJ/status/1342092313061945346?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                        Someone I know decided to go and get tested ahead of having elderly relatives around on Christmas Day. He hooked himself, his wife and his daughter in for tests. All precautionary. No symptoms.

They all came back positive. He is slightly stunned. Christmas plans scrapped. He says he can't believe it because none of them feel ill.

I asked about the possibility of false positives. He said he can't get another set of tests done for 90 days.
                        Is there somewhere they can pay to get tested?

It seems that multiple people in the same family with no symptoms testing positive is unlikely but, depending on the test, so is multiple false positives, perhaps.

Comment

Vaccinations are speeding up in the UK.

According to this article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55436598

616,933 people have been vaccinated across the UK in the first two weeks. If we keep at that rate, we could vaccinate 31,662,748 people in a year. Or the whole population in just over two years.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                            Vaccinations are speeding up in the UK.

According to this article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55436598

616,933 people have been vaccinated across the UK in the first two weeks. If we keep at that rate, we could vaccinate 31,662,748 people in a year. Or the whole population in just over two years.
                            We were idly talking about this on a work call, whether when it starts to reach the less vulnerable demographics, that it could be done in community centres etc, and speed up the curve that way. The less sensible comparison we got on to was the speed at which they got through a class full of kids with BCG vaccinations back in the day.

Comment

Well it might be a good idea to vaccinate the kids...

https://twitter.com/BBCWalesNews/status/1342258821922750472?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
                                Looking forward to those people coming back for the prescribed second shot of the vaccin, and from then on being counted as two vaccinated people.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  Well it might be a good idea to vaccinate the kids...

https://twitter.com/BBCWalesNews/status/1342258821922750472?s=19
                                  The same link suggests that by mid-January 90% of new cases in the southeast could be the variant, and that children are major spreaders.

Comment

Received a positive covid test result this morning, 9 days after doing my original test, which got lost. Home test done 6 days later returned the result much quicker.

Feel ok, I've had worse coughs, to be honest. Main issue is phenomenal halitosis, which ain't easy for the rest of the family, none of whom are affected.

I know exactly where and when I got it, a cheeky full-English breakfast at my local cafe 2 Sundays ago, there was a table of young men talking very loudly near me as I was finishing the food, I tried to eat up as quickly as possible but this new strain must be very good at doing its thing.

Comment

Originally posted by steveeeeeeeee View Post
                                      Received a positive covid test result this morning, 9 days after doing my original test, which got lost. Home test done 6 days later returned the result much quicker.

Feel ok, I've had worse coughs, to be honest. Main issue is phenomenal halitosis, which ain't easy for the rest of the family, none of whom are affected.

I know exactly where and when I got it, a cheeky full-English breakfast at my local cafe 2 Sundays ago, there was a table of young men talking very loudly near me as I was finishing the food, I tried to eat up as quickly as possible but this new strain must be very good at doing its thing.
                                      Hope it stays like that for you and your family.

Comment

Sorry to hear that Steveeeeeeee, 1042 cases in Ireland today, thankfully only 2 deaths and minimal change in ICU and general hospitalisation.

Comment

Stay safe Steve

Comment

Hope things stay mild for you Steveeeee.

Isn’t Balders’ maths a few posts up out by a factor of 2? Surely 31m per year is the rate you’re at if you jab 600k people in one week, not in two weeks? Before allowing for acceleration, 600k per 2 weeks means doing the whole pop would take 4 years?

Comment

Originally posted by Evariste Euler Gauss View Post
                                              Hope things stay mild for you Steveeeee.

Isn’t Balders’ maths a few posts up out by a factor of 2? Surely 31m per year is the rate you’re at if you jab 600k people in one week, not in two weeks? Before allowing for acceleration, 600k per 2 weeks means doing the whole pop would take 4 years?
                                              Yes you're right. Good spot.

Comment

Hope it remains mild and doesn't pass to anyone else in your family, Steveeeeee

Comment

Get well soon Mr S.

Comment

If your first test was nine days ago then hopefully you are almost through it steveeeeeeee. Hope so.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X