Covid-19 pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post

Possibly, but I think it's more likely to be due to GDPR/data privacy reasons. The rules are more stringent where children are concerned, and under GDPR a child under 16 can't consent to having their data shared (though I think that's been lowered to 13 in the UK)
    Ah interesting - thanks.

Comment

6,874 new cases in the UK today, and 34 deaths, though that figure does not include Scottish deaths due to a power cut.

That makes 37,301 official new cases in the last week. The ONS is estimating that new cases are around three times higher than the official numbers. If that's true, we're running at more than 100,000 new cases per week.

Comment

The current global death toll of 989,368 is higher than the population of the city of Lilongwe in Malawi.

Comment

Originally posted by Balderdasha View Post
          though that figure does not include Scottish deaths due to a power cut.

I mean, that's fair enough, really.

Comment

I've just had a rare look at the BBC news. They really are going full on with blaming the public's behaviour, with a lot of insinuation about students (easy target). Not a single mention of the government, apart from the Welsh government, for the full 30 minutes, let alone an appearance from someone in Government.

The new message is already well established.

Comment

The students really have been fucked over. Two halls of residence complexes at Manchester Metropolitan University have been locked down after 127 students tested positive, with all students to self isolate for 14 days.

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                I've just had a rare look at the BBC news. They really are going full on with blaming the public's behaviour, with a lot of insinuation about students (easy target). Not a single mention of the government, apart from the Welsh government, for the full 30 minutes, let alone an appearance from someone in Government.

The new message is already well established.
                The same fucking BBC that took Sturgeon's daily briefings off-air so there was a "unified" message on Covid. Despite public health being devolved. Cunts.

Comment

Every single person in Tesco today too stupid or Facebook addicted contrary to wear a mask that covered their nose looked to be in their 50s-60s. These wheezing spluttering chatting with their mask down to Aggie from down the road cunts scare me as much as any student.

Comment

Asia is the first continent to reach 10 million confirmed cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                      The students really have been fucked over. Two halls of residence complexes at Manchester Metropolitan University have been locked down after 127 students tested positive, with all students to self isolate for 14 days.
                      Students have been treated terribly over this. They paid their fees for halls of residence before they were told all lectures would be online so they might have well have stayed at home and saved a lot of money. Then to have to self isolate in a room for 14 days is horrendous, not even prisons have been that bad. I hope the universities get screwed over on this, they've treated students terribly and have known exactly what they are doing. If I were a student right now I'd go home and live with mum and dad if I could and do university from there. That I suspect may well be the future after the pandemic ends anyway.

Comment

150 deaths in France today.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul S View Post

Students have been treated terribly over this. They paid their fees for halls of residence before they were told all lectures would be online so they might have well have stayed at home and saved a lot of money. Then to have to self isolate in a room for 14 days is horrendous, not even prisons have been that bad. I hope the universities get screwed over on this, they've treated students terribly and have known exactly what they are doing. If I were a student right now I'd go home and live with mum and dad if I could and do university from there. That I suspect may well be the future after the pandemic ends anyway.
                          Just to provide a slight counterpoint (though I agree on the bad treatment) my daughter went back to the student dorms partly in hope that she'd get to attend classes eventually (not yet) but also because she wanted to be a student again and not stuck in her parent's house all day every day. I fully understand and support her in this

(mind you, her accommodation is free. I may not be quite so understanding if she (or I) was paying through the nose for it)
                          Last edited by ad hoc; 25-09-2020, 20:32.

Comment

If I were a student right now I'd go home and live with mum and dad if I could and do university from there. That I suspect may well be the future after the pandemic ends anyway.
                            My daughter is currently finalising her application for universities for this time next year so this is very much an area of interest in our house.

Comment

France is also the 11th country to report more than 500,000 cases.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post

Just to provide a slight counterpoint (though I agree on the bad treatment) my daughter went back to the student dorms partly in hope that she'd get to attend classes eventually (not yet) but also because she wanted to be a student again and not stuck in her parent's house all day every day. I fully understand and support her in this
                                My biggest motive in choosing Glasgow for uni was that I'd qualify for Halls, and lived too close to Edinburgh to get in (also, all the half posh rugger and ceilidh loving cuntiest cunts from school went onto Embra). I'd have hated hated hated 4 more years living with my parents. And I'm sure the loathing would have been mutual.

Comment

criminals

https://twitter.com/L__Macfarlane/status/1309526578808979462?s=20

Comment

I'm in lockdown from 6pm on Sunday. Anyone fancy a visit tomorrow?

Comment

Students have been treated terribly over this. They paid their fees for halls of residence before they were told all lectures would be online so they might have well have stayed at home and saved a lot of money.
                                      Which universities are doing everything online? All the universities I know about have got at least some face-to-face teaching (although you'd imagine that might change rapidly.)

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        I'm in lockdown from 6pm on Sunday. Anyone fancy a visit tomorrow?
                                        The leaders of the Tees Valley Combined Authority must be incredibly convincing every time they have a chat with the ministers, because Teesside is still not in lockdown (though we've gone up up the watchlist to enhanced support) despite Hartlepool and Boro having the same infection rates as Leeds and Stockport.

Comment

The video in the tweet by Rose posted by Nef above makes a powerful case. Really awful on the part of the university involved.

Comment

How many countries use the word "lockdown" in connection with Covid 19? To me it's so wrong. It's a term I associate with prison riots. Totally OTT for staying at home so you don't infect others with a virus, or catch it yourself. It only adds to the sense of panic and fear that pervades everything at the moment.

Comment

My sense is that most Romance languages have been using a variation on "confinement", which isn't as extreme, and (to me) more accurate. It also allows for more variation among rules, which reflects the reality.

Comment

I agree. I guess I notice it particularly because I'm not aware of it being used much here, if at all. So when I read the UK press, for example, it really jumps at me.

Comment

Lockdown as it is used in the UK should definitely have some huge quote marks around it. Even during March and April it was nowhere near as strict as many other countries, but these days all it means is something like "don't interact with people you don't live with unless it's at work, school, university, in a shop or in a pub/restaurant before 10pm".

I think the expectation for people to stay at home except for anything absolutely essential has completely gone out of the window and is not really part of the messaging anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X