• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoying New York Times articles

Thanks for shattering another illusion.

Comment

I bought a sharpener at the MOMA shop today. In case I don't make it to the pencil shop.

Comment

The Wall Street Journal has a go at some NYT style trolling

Comment

I spent two nights here:
          http://www.refineryhotelnewyork.com/

It is actually really comfortable - I had a great sleep - but it does fancy itself a bit.

The 12-story neo-gothic building has been designed and redefined as a place for communal engagement as well as solitary downtime, a personable and chic oasis. Our guests appreciate decadence and flair. They are unflashy in their sophistication. A night in with classic crème caramel and Dostoevsky (or maybe Lynda LaPlante) is standard.

In the days of Coco Chanel, Ernest Hemingway or Julia Childs, the Refinery Hotel would be their second home. Make the moment where you are.

I think Hemingway would have chucked some of the clientele off the roof.

Comment

My lovely Brooklyn chum was invited to a "looping" event today, "a chance for a community to participate in something g like a free for all adult playtime, wearing silly clothes or underwear in broad daylight on the streets of NYC".

Comment

I hope he didn't go.

Comment

She, and no. She posted pictures which were quite amusing. It looked very hippie-ish.

Comment

Looping explained. Or demonstrated, anyway.

https://vimeo.com/130167435

Comment

haha, I got sent this link, because I know This guy. He came into the stags one night when I was working downstairs and struck up a conversation with Niall, another one of the barman who was off duty and propping up the bar. when we stumbled out of the bar at four or five, we went back to my apartment, and then to an early house.

His dad was the film commissioner of New York (I think) and was the producer of a number of Woody Allen Movies. He seemed nice enough, but rather childish in a number of ways. The article is fucking hilarious.

Comment

The NY Times wedding articles are their own special genre of ridiculous up-its-own-assness and it's a given that every single one of them would fit in this thread, but they all become the same after a while.

Comment

Berbaslug is on the wedding section writing - a whole level worse than the garbage announcements which are pompous in their own right.

This is the recent times NYT Wedding section high water troll

Comment

The Awesome Berbaslug!!! wrote: haha, I got sent this link, because I know This guy. He came into the stags one night when I was working downstairs and struck up a conversation with Niall, another one of the barman who was off duty and propping up the bar. when we stumbled out of the bar at four or five, we went back to my apartment, and then to an early house.

His dad was the film commissioner of New York (I think) and was the producer of a number of Woody Allen Movies. He seemed nice enough, but rather childish in a number of ways. The article is fucking hilarious.
                          Shit. The. Bed.

Love the way they've (over)emphasised that they really didn't need to use a dating site. Thank God they found each other.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote: Berbaslug is on the wedding section writing - a whole level worse than the garbage announcements which are pompous in their own right.

This is the recent times NYT Wedding section high water troll
                            Yep.

"He explodes" into a room, if only.

That was from late 2010, I wonder if they're still together?

Edit: still together mid 2014, at least.

Comment

Here are the rules for those who want their wedding featured:

http://www.nytimes.com/ref/fashion/weddings/howtosubmitwedding.html

You'd have to REALLY want that article

Love the bit about photographs needing the bride and grooms eyebrows aligned.

Comment

More fun! Someone has analysed the data.

http://genius.com/Atodd-when-harvard-met-sally-n-gram-analysis-of-the-new-york-times-weddings-section-annotated

Comment

I was at a weddding earlier this year that was featured. The bride's father is a well known writer for the Times. It is the only time it would have felt stranger if there wasn't a NYT announcement.

Comment

MsD wrote: My lovely Brooklyn chum was invited to a "looping" event today, "a chance for a community to participate in something g like a free for all adult playtime, wearing silly clothes or underwear in broad daylight on the streets of NYC".
                                    Please, please, God, let them try to gentrify (or is it 'pioneer') Bedford-Stuyvesant.

Comment

Dude, you are way late to the party on that one.

Comment

Yeah, Roderick. Bed-Stuy is seriously on the up and up. Though you can still get mugged at gunpoint pretty easily.

Comment

3 million pieces of proof.

242 Gates Avenue in Bedford-Stuyvesant just sold for $3 million shattering the previous Bed-Stuy townhouse record of $2.25 million, Brownstoner reports. The two-family house was purchased by Eli Fernald of Ground Architecture & Building in 2007 for $749,000 and renovated

Comment

MsD wrote:
                                            Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!
                                            haha, I got sent this link, because I know This guy. He came into the stags one night when I was working downstairs and struck up a conversation with Niall, another one of the barman who was off duty and propping up the bar. when we stumbled out of the bar at four or five, we went back to my apartment, and then to an early house.

Shit. The. Bed.

Love the way they've (over)emphasised that they really didn't need to use a dating site. Thank God they found each other.
                                            What do we want?
                                            Class war!
                                            When do we want it?
                                            Right now!

Comment

50 Cent, Renaissance Man

It is well known that Mr. Jackson, 40, has exceptional business instincts.
                                              Five days later

50 Cent declares bankruptcy.

Comment

Actual Headline: Women Who Dye Their Armpit Hair

Comment

Slate:

Grillax, Bro

I’m a feminist. I’m a dude. And I hate that I love to grill.

By Jacob Brogan

I hate how much I love to grill. It’s not that I’m inclined to vegetarianism or that I otherwise object to the practice itself. But I’m uncomfortable with the pleasure I take in something so conventionally masculine. Looming over the coals, tongs in hand, I feel estranged from myself, recast in the role of suburban dad. At such moments, I get the sense that I’ve fallen into a societal trap, one that reaffirms gender roles I’ve spent years trying to undo. The whole business feels retrograde, a relic of some earlier, less inclusive era.
                                                  It goes on from there. With gifs!

Comment

He is writing a book about the cultural history of lovesickness.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X