Annoying New York Times articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure where else to put this, but David Carr collapsed and died in the New York Times newsroom last night. Really sad news.

http://t.co/aJGFl5ldUo

Comment

Yes, such a loss

Comment

As we are digressing from the annoying New York Times theme a little, this looks a good home for this look into how the Grey Lady operates

Comment

Thanks for that DGLH, looks interesting.

Comment

It is a pretty fascinating article. I drive past the print works fairly often and it looks like a pretty stunning operation.

Comment

Green Calx wrote: Not sure where else to put this, but David Carr collapsed and died in the New York Times newsroom last night. Really sad news.

http://t.co/aJGFl5ldUo
              Hamilton Nolan's piece on Gawker is really touching.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote: As we are digressing from the annoying New York Times theme a little, this looks a good home for this look into how the Grey Lady operates
                That is indeed very interesting, thanks dglh.

Comment

When Junior helps you find a place to live (and it costs only $14 million)

Comment

Was only a matter of time . . .

Comment

Skye van Merkensteijn

He never had a chance, did he?

Comment

The practice in Sparta may have seemed heartless at the time, but compared to contemporary Manhattan . . .

Comment

As a sidebar, the increasing use of "granular," as synonym for detailed, is an abomination in the eyes of the Lord. And Samuel Johnson, which is worse.

Comment

Who needs the NY Times? I've had an email today inviting me to a "hyper local" event, aimed at creating a "handbook for a way of life" in E5 and E9. It links to some of the wankiest blogs I've ever read, written by and about my neighbours, with their kitchens "full of homemade kimchi" and "locally-foraged produce". I'm not going to link to any of it here but 'kin hell.

Comment

You've moved to Brooklyn?

Comment

No, Brooklyn's come to me.

Or its more irritating aspects, anyway.

Comment

Surely that event's just "local", too? "Hyper local" implies something that doesn't extend much beyond, say, your house. But as the rest of your post suggests, it's just hip blather trying to sell you a lifestyle, innit.

Kitchens "full of homemade kimchi" must reek, as well. It'll be a lucky escape if the hyperlocality of the affair means it doesn't stretch as far as those neighbours. Crikey.

Comment

Yeh, quite. "Hyper local". Ugh.

Comment

I am hyper-local. Anything that isn't me just isn't really local enough for me to be bothered with.

Comment

I can see how Locally foraged produce is possibly a positive thing if you're running a restaurant at the top of the skaggerak, or in the heart of the rural countryside. But in hackney?

Comment

Foraging hyperlocally. Our mum used to tell us off for that.

Comment

I'm going to New York Saturday-Monday. I may have to walk around and attempt to spectate some of these people in the wild.

Comment

It's actually difficult for me to believe that this piece is on today's OpEd page and not identified as sponsored content.

Sofía Vergara’s Ex-Fiancé: Our Frozen Embryos Have a Right to Live

Comment

I am surprised the NYTimes decided to run that. They are obviously seeing the Daily Mail traffic surges from throwing matches at powder kegs.

Comment

The LA Times trolls the NYT by writing about New York the way the Gray Lady writes about Los Angeles (in particular, two recent articles marveling at New Yorkers happy after moving to LA):

After months of fruitless job-hunting in Los Angeles, Kerensa Cadenas landed her dream job. There was just one catch: It was in New York, that East Coast city often stereotyped as a taco-less wasteland without height restrictions. “I'm excited for my new job,” says Cadenas, a writer who is moving across the country this month after spending the past several years in L.A. She's nervous about the lifestyle change, but, she says, “If I can find a gourmet grocery store where attractive strangers hang out at 2 p.m. on a weekday, that might help.” She landed an apartment in Brooklyn, which she's heard is similar to the Eastside of Los Angeles.

Unlikely though it may seem, Cadenas is part of a trend: Angelenos have always loved visiting New York, but lately they have embraced the city as a place to live. According to Census data, between 2008 and 2012 almost as many Angelenos moved to New York as New Yorkers moved to Los Angeles.

Southern Californians are overcoming their fears of subway germs, and reversing the American directive to go west. They're finding that New York is more than a capitalist prison that runs on the fumes of the finance industry and nostalgia for CBGB. It now offers many of the lifestyle amenities that their hometown has boasted for decades.
                                                  Nikka Graff Lanzarone, an Angeleno who moved to New York after college, has even discovered an In-N-Out Burger replacement called Shake Shack. She notes that it's a close, if more expensive, second to her childhood favorite.

Perhaps most shocking to Californians who haven't traveled east in a while: America's largest metropolis has finally acquired some Mexican restaurants. It's possible to book a table at Cosme, a trendy establishment whose head chef relocated from Mexico City, just a few weeks in advance.

The freezing winters are an adjustment, of course. But transplants are finding that, with so many takeout options, they don't actually have to brave the outdoors at all; they can just stay in their apartments from December to February.

And once the weather warms up, they can live almost as they did back home in Los Angeles: Their stoops and fire escapes are perfect for getting that summer glow. For the wilderness-minded former Angeleno who misses hiking through the sage-dusted hills of Griffith Park, Central Park and Prospect Park are flatter alternatives.

Comment

Hahaha! That's awesome.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X