Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoying New York Times articles

Shut it down. Shut it all down.

Mhttp://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2016/06/15/billionaire-investor-buys-boston-priciest-condo/8CWvAIGlasecFfXODhkfOI/story.html?s_campaign=bostonglobe%3Asocialflow%3At witter

Comment

To me that WAPO article about tapas was actually telling off the "If it's not 100% authentically Spanish and served like how my grandfather would serve it then it's phoney shite" crowd to get over it and embrace change.

Comment

Reed John wrote: Shut it down. Shut it all down.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2016/06/15/billionaire-investor-buys-boston-priciest-condo/8CWvAIGlasecFfXODhkfOI/story.html?s_campaign=bostonglobe%3Asocialflow%3At witter
        And yet, two headlines below it: "Half of city residents make less than $35,000 a year, study says. When adjusted for inflation, salaries for those near the bottom of the income scale have not risen for three decades." It's sick.

Comment

Didn't there used to be severe height limitations on new construction in Boston? Or have I imagined that?

This tower is on the site of the original Filene's (and its eponymous basement).

Comment

Maybe you're thinking of Philadelphia. I don't recall any such restrictions in Boston.

Comment

No, I had some vague memory of it being an issue with the Hancock.

Must be misremembering.

Of course, for the entire 20th century, the idea of a 60 story luxury condo at that location would have been considered insane.

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: No, I had some vague memory of it being an issue with the Hancock.

Must be misremembering.

Of course, for the entire 20th century, the idea of a 60 story luxury condo at that location would have been considered insane.
                Philadelphia used to have a rule - or at least a tradition - of nothing being higher than the statue of William Penn on city hall, but they got over that in the 80s and 90s.

DC has never done that. It seems like it might reduce sprawl to make the core more dense but I'm not sure the current transit and road system could handle any more density downtown and Maryland and DC, who help pay for that, have never shown any willingness to think of DC as the core. Indeed, the former Chairman of Fairfax County insisted that Tysons Corner could be the new downtown of the region.

Comment

Boston having skyscrapers besides the John Hancock Tower and the Pru just feels weird.

It's not that kind of town.

My dad used to love going back to Boston every year, but steadily gets less and less interested in it. Yeah, a lot of that is due to the marches of time. Family members dying and retiring, businesses come and go, whatever. You can't preserve your glory years in aspic.

But at the end of the day, if he wanted to be in a city where ethnic neighborhoods and hippies and students are all being swept aside for money, money, money, he can just hang out at home in San Francisco and save the airfare.

Comment

The ethnic enclaves are still around Boston, but they're in the suburbs now. Boston itself is pretty thoroughly gentrified.

When I was at BU 95-97, Allston-Brighton was still a pretty cool place to be - diverse, not too expensive, but with lots of good bars, etc. It was just starting to yuppify. And Kenmore Square had dive bars, used bookstores, etc. Now all that has been replaced with a luxury hotel.

I haven't been recently, but I suspect the transformation is now complete. Same with Cambridge.

Oh well.

Philadelphia still feels pretty rough-around-the-edges to me.
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em6JCkxYAko

Comment

Carniveraux Vulgarry wrote:
                      Originally posted by Flynnie
                      Boston having skyscrapers besides the John Hancock Tower and the Pru just feels weird.

It's not that kind of town.

My dad used to love going back to Boston every year, but steadily gets less and less interested in it. Yeah, a lot of that is due to the marches of time. Family members dying and retiring, businesses come and go, whatever. You can't preserve your glory years in aspic.

But at the end of the day, if he wanted to be in a city where ethnic neighborhoods and hippies and students are all being swept aside for money, money, money, he can just hang out at home in San Francisco and save the airfare.
                      That sounds a real shame. I visited both Boston and Philly last year and realised after I'd returned to Ireland that I'd fallen in love with them both. But I've an outsider's view, not a balanced one.
                      I mean, it's not like Boston sucks now or anything, but it used to be a surprisingly working-class, unpretentious, hardscrabble town considering all the pointy headed professors floating about. And they made things just weird enough to be interesting. It's the kind of place where a car on the T would have hippies, punks, Southie hoods, MIT faculty, little old Italian ladies who didn't speak much English, and Symphony violinists. Now it's yuppie, yuppie, yuppie, and one townie in the back with a Red Sox hat and a crucifix over his white t-shirt, pissed off at all the change.

Fenway Park is a good example of how Boston's changed. It was an atmospheric old shed 25 years ago when I went to my first game, but the Grandstand was $12, not $68, and you couldn't buy lattes in the WB Mason brand concourse.

Comment

Several bands have songs about that.

Comment

The Sound of Music Is in His Blood and Now His Heart

On May 31, 2015, he proposed in a tiny stone chapel that his great-uncle, Werner von Trapp, built in the woods behind the family lodge. He asked her to wait outside while he decorated the floor with beeswax candles arranged in the shape of a heart and a cross, which glowed in the dark like a constellation.

“I came in and the first thing I remember is this beautiful smell of beeswax, this lovely, warm smell,” she said. “I gave him a hug for support, like: ‘We both know what’s happening. You can do it!’”

By the time his proposal was over, and she accepted, all of the candles had melted. “I said, ‘I have a feeling this is what marriage is going to be like,” he said. “We’ve just had this moment of intimacy and now we’re sitting here scraping wax off the floor.’”

On June 4, they were married at Blessed Sacrament Church in Stowe, he in a vintage morning coat and she in a gown that was both subtle and sparkly, like her. The couple created a 16-page illustrated pamphlet to guide the 172 guests through the carefully curated nuptial Mass, which was led by the Rev. Brian E. Daley, a Roman Catholic priest. Along with many prayers, blessings and readings, there were 15 different pieces of music performed. Mr. Peters described the music as: “Joyful, rich, lush. Lush like a forest, not like an alcoholic.”

Mr. Patrico, the best man, watched the groom throughout the ceremony. “He is sitting very erect in his chair and he’s swerving and bobbing just like a conductor,” he said. “He picked out all the music and he knows it by heart and it’s the music he chose to express these feelings he has for Jane. He was crying at the end of every piece.”

Afterward, there was a reception in the “wedding meadow” outside the family lodge, with views of the Worcester mountains and maple syrup in little leaf-shaped bottles as gifts for guests.

“In the days leading up to the wedding,” the groom said, “I’ve felt like I’m wading into a pool of joy and I don’t know the depth of the joy yet.”

Comment

We've eaten at that lodge and skied on their cross-country trails a few times.

It's a bit over the top, as one would expect, but the setting is quite lovely.

Comment

The couple made a graph of their wedding guests’ professions, for fun and to examine the kind of people with whom they spend time: There were 12 doctors, 3 astronomers, 4 computer programmers, 18 Ph.D. students, 4 Roman Catholic priests, 10 teachers and 1 private investigator in the crowd.

Comment

The only hope would be to be sat next to the PI.

Comment

I imagine the PI would know a LOT about the priests.

Comment

As an antidote, absolutely incredible New York Times article. Deep, moving, touching, heartbreaking.

Hold on to this one for when you have the time to read it to the end.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/18/nyregion/dying-alone-in-new-york-city.html?WT.mc_id=2016-KWP-INTL_AUD_DEV&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=IntlAudDev&kwp_0=188221&kwp_4=749027&kwp_ 1=377195&_r=1

Comment

http://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-the-hottest-new-thing-in-craft-cocktails-ice-cubes-1474237873?mod=e2tw

Comment

'To Read the Full Story, Subscribe or Sign In.'

No, I think the headline's enough actually. Especially if they're going to capitalise words like that all over their website.

Comment

duplicate

Comment

Yeah, the headline and the photo, if you can see it, tell you everything you need to infer the rest of the article.

Comment

Sam wrote: 'To Read the Full Story, Subscribe or Sign In.'

No, I think the headline's enough actually. Especially if they're going to capitalise words like that all over their website.
                                              Yeah, for some reason I managed to get the whole article. Here are some snippets:

Mr. Ambrose, 38, who started his ice company four years ago, says a sphere is harder to make, which means it is more expensive. His average price per ice cube is 70 cents, or roughly $3 less than the ice sphere.
                                              “I know this is going to sound crazy but you can form a relationship with each of those individual cubes as they melt", said Mr. Avery, who pulled back from selling wine in January to open a craft ice company, Melt New Orleans.
                                              “I’ve already set the price as low as I can go and I’m barely making a profit,” he said. “If someone could find a way to mass produce this and sell it for 15 cents, it would probably kill us all.”
                                              There. Now, join me to save the artisanal icemaker before it's too late.

Comment

My refrigerator mass produces it so effectively that I have to struggle to turn the thingy to stop it. Eventually, it would fill up the whole freezer, perhaps.

And the ice maker is cheap. The one I had that came with the refrigerator didn't work, so the guy just replaced it in about a minute. He said they're not worth trying to fix.

[stares into middle distance] America once had pride in making things that lasted and were worth maintaining. But now...

Really, there are so many things that are just replaced now instead of repaired because it is more cost-effective. And all of that crap is filling up a land fill. It's also, I think, bad for the psyche to always just chuck shit and buy a new thing that will also break.

All of these "artisans" should focus on fixing that problem rather than fucking "artesinal ice" for fuck sake.

Comment

WOM wrote: As an antidote, absolutely incredible New York Times article. Deep, moving, touching, heartbreaking.

Hold on to this one for when you have the time to read it to the end.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/18/nyregion/dying-alone-in-new-york-city.html?WT.mc_id=2016-KWP-INTL_AUD_DEV&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=IntlAudDev&kwp_0=188221&kwp_4=749027&kwp_ 1=377195&_r=1
                                                  Yes, good article.

Comment

When did "coffee" become "a coffee experience?"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/wesgay/2016/09/16/how-creating-a-culture-around-coffee-can-boost-millennial-engagement-at-work/#6983b52f6363

Comment

Working...
                                                    X