Annoying New York Times articles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It pays to get your kids into the right school if you are an Upper East Side wife

Comment

That's too awesome for words.

Likely not true, but who really cares.

Comment

A review of a pencil shop run by a 24-year old:

The monomaniac at the helm of C. W. Pencil Enterprise is Caroline Weaver, a 24-year-old Natalie Wood look-alike with a pencil tattooed on her forearm. Her store is the size of a juice box, with a checkered floor and jars of yellow button chrysanthemums sprinkled around. With its spanking newness and luminous blocks of color, the place looks like an Edward Hopper canvas. (Or, as the website Racked put it: “This Fancy Pencil Store Is Begging to Be Instagrammed.”)

nd it really does sell mostly pencils. Which is insane, but in an entrancing way, as if Captain Ahab opened a boutique of whale trinkets.

On the first day I visited, Ms. Weaver sat behind the counter, springing up often to highlight the virtues of this or that pencil. “This was John Steinbeck’s favorite pencil,” she said of a Blackwing 602 ($2). Its slogan, printed on the shaft, is “Half the Pressure, Twice the Speed.”
        Full disclosure: I would like to visit that store and would buy a few pencils.

Comment

She has a blog.

Comment

Blackwing pencils are awesome. And those Nataraj ones from India on the blog are beautiful.

Comment

A pencil shop. That's cool.
              There's a Monty Python skit in there somewhere.
              "I'd like a propelling pencil, please."
              "Sorry, we don't carry propellers"

I'll get me hat.

Comment

My favourite line, of many contenders: “I also like this one at the moment”. This pencil is currently her favourite, but she knows it's fleeting. That's the nature of pencil love; ever-changing.

For the record, I hate using pencils. I mastered good handwriting in, I think, grade 2 for the sole reason that my teacher said I couldn't use a pen until I wrote 'beautifully'. I abhorred writing with a pencil then, and I hate it now. Even when I sketch, I get the lines right in pencil and then ink them almost immediately.

Comment

No automatics? If she carried some Lamys and graphic design pencils I would be on board, but this is too much.

I love the fact she will have to use pens every time someone pays by credit card.

Comment

caja-dglh wrote:
                    I love the fact she will have to use pens every time someone pays by credit card.
                    Oh, America. Bless.

Comment

Haven't most trendy places moved to signing by iPad there in NYC? Every new restaurant/store in LA uses the iPad stand that they rotate to face you when you sign. Or she might have a Square and just have people sign on a phone.

Comment

Heh, she went to Goldsmiths. How bizarre.

Comment

I acquired a rather lovely pencil today.

Comment

Perhaps, Inca. That would be disappointing to me.

Comment

My lovely new pencil

http://m.vandashop.com/Black-Snake-Alexander-McQueen-Pencil/dp/B00TXL54QM

Comment

I'd have been tempted to buy 38 just to get the free shipping.

Comment

Mine was free :-) which makes it even nicer.

Need a nice sharpener now. I keep buying new eye pencils instead of sharpening them.

Comment

Our East Village friend has a fine assortment of sharpeners.

This Koh-i-Noor will keep your colours from blending together

Comment

That's how infomercials get written, baby.

"Tired of your pencil colours blending together? Wish you spent less time sharpening and more time sketching? Now you can, with the the Koh-i-Noor....

Comment

I like the look of the bullet sharpener.

Comment

Fine choice.

And you probably have mates named Möbius & Ruppert.

Comment

Not yet, but I think they can give me what I need. A pencil sharpener than reflects my personal sense of style.

I've got a notebook that matches my new pencil but I don't think I will use them together. I'm currently using a Westwood notebook, it was a Christmas present.

Good stationery is a great pleasure, and I too would like to visit that pencil store for a good browse.

Comment

So, our friend Wednesday Martin (she of the "wife bonuses") has a book coming out.

I believe all of these.

Comment

These are all excellent. Particularly the plane story.

Comment

I'm off to NY in a fortnight and think I may have booked a prime piece of wank estate for the last night - it looked fine on the main website, but their Facebook page is a hoot.

I will try to visit the pencil shop.

Comment

I'm not going to NY just to buy a pencil sharpener btw.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X