Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

I say I say I say.

What is the difference between satsumas, mandarins, & tangerines?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

It's complicated.

Satsumas are generally considered to be a variety of Mandarin, but Tangerines generally are not.

Tangerines are also the only one of the three to have featured in college gridiron bowl games

Comment

The WTF? Thread

That program belongs on the WTF thread in it's own right, just for the image in the top right corner. One can safely assume that that wouldn't be used now, much too close to the bone at an American Football game.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

And that's just the water boy. Innocent times.

To be fair, the small print does add welcome context.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Via Inca on Twitter, I give you Kola House.

"We wanted to create a modern hub for consumers to share social and immersive experiences that were anchored in the exploration of our cola's artisanal craft and flavor," shared Seth Kaufman, Chief Marketing Officer, PepsiCo North America Beverages. "The Kola House represents a new space for us to support our consumer-first approach to drive authenticity and innovation around our beverage offerings and ideals."

Kola House's experimental and elemental themes honoring the kola nut will be brought to life through resident cocktail curator Alex Ott. Ott's unrivaled background in flavor chemistry and his superior knowledge of food and beverage pairings and global palates make him the ideal mastermind behind the development of Kola House's cocktails and elixirs. A full artisanal menu from a rising resident executive chef will also offer specialty plates inspired by the kola nut.

The flagship location will also serve as a transformative event space for pop culture moments in music, art, style, film, sports and more. Pepsi is leveraging its broad partnership with Live Nation to help build out a special music series, Live at the Kola House, which will serve as tent pole moments throughout its year-long programming. Each of the intimate, stripped down performances will bring fans up-close to the artists both visually and acoustically for the once-in-a-lifetime shows.
            The whole thing is millenial marketing bullshit Mad Libs.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Holy fuck! It's the Holy Grail of ersatz-hipster marketing slurry.

Hub! Transformative! Artisanal! Flagship! Stripped-down! Immersive!

And for what? Pepsi!

Comment

The WTF? Thread

There's a whole artisanal menu with speciality plates inspired by the kola nut, though.

I got that from the great podcast Uhh Yeah Dude, which I must thank Renart for turning me on to a few years back. 30:15 in here: http://archive.uhhyeahdu.de/episodes/episode-491

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Bet they don't do real coke though.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

which will serve as tent pole moments
                    Am I the only one who, erm...?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Youse can fuck off

Go and experiment somewhere else, we have enough trouble with lorry drivers lapsing in concentration, or occasionally outright falling asleep at the wheel, without another nine lorries in the mix when it happens.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Walt Flanagans Dog wrote: Youse can fuck off

Go and experiment somewhere else, we have enough trouble with lorry drivers lapsing in concentration, or occasionally outright falling asleep at the wheel, without another nine lorries in the mix when it happens.
                        Falling asleep or simply passing out with no warning at the wheel?

Bastards.

String the fuckers up.

Only language they understand.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

"We are planning trials of HGV platoons - which enable vehicles to move in a group so they use less fuel - and will be in a position to say more in due course."
                          Put it on rails and call it a freight train FFS.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Swallow this fivepence!

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I didn't realise there was a "the Irish were slaves" myth going on but apparently there is

Comment

The WTF? Thread

It's been around for a while, but has seen a resurgence in response to things like Black Lives Matter.

You will never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the Great American Public.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Father advertises "godly, gorgeous 26 year old virgin" daughter in Christianity Today

“Her: godly, gorgeous, athletic, educated, careered, humorous, travelled, bilingual, 26-year-old virgin,” the ad said. “You: unworthy, though becoming less so daily.”

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Well some prisoners were sent to Barbados as indentured servants after the cromwellian conquest. That was a bit like being sent to the moon to mine something, without a spacesuit. The tiny fraction that survived eventually went on to form part of the slave owning, and slave managing class, and were supplemented by a lot of voluntary emigration

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Careful what you buy...

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Migrants - hot or not?

https://www.instagram.com/hotmigrants/

What we really need is a border guard to hold up a mirror to each one and ask, "seriously, would you let yourself in?".

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Iron Maiden has their own 747?

Apparently the has-been B-circuit is far more lucrative than I'd imagined.

http://us.cnn.com/2016/03/12/world/iron-maiden-plane-damaged-irpt/index.html

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Maiden made $1,764,706 last year and Steve Harris is worth $60 million. I suppose it's like golf or tennis where the "name" is enough to bring in the dough even if your last decent gig/tournament was in 1991.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

But "shy of $2 million" isn't the sort of lucre I'd think would support a private 747. A band jumbo-jet seems very 'Bon Jovi / Van Halen in their heyday'. I dunno. Maybe it was paid off in '90 and it's just gas and maintenance now.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

They don't have the expense of having to pay a pilot either.
                                                I worked one of their gigs in '95 and there were less than a thousand people at it.
                                                They were shite.

If not the jet then at least their fortune would appear to have taken a turn for the better since.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I would be shocked if they owned it, as opposed to leasing it (just like most airlines).

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Croydon coppers channel the Taliban

I know the Taliban do hate all music, rather than one specifically black form of music, but “this borough finds unacceptable forms of music" should chill anyone, really.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X