• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WTF? Thread

Crossbow. FFS.

This is our local murder of the year.
    http://www.centredaily.com/news/nation-world/national/article97006922.html

Really fucked. This young woman, a total flake by all accounts, somehow got into a romantic relationship with this professor and was living with him. According to a facebook post I saw from one of his UDC colleagues, he hadn't been altogether mentally well recently, which might explain a few things.

Then somehow she and her sketchy uncle got the idea into their head that if they murdered him, they'd inherit a load of money. (Because communications professors are rolling in it. Right) They tried to stage it to look like suicide or an accident, but then, apparently, confessed.

Sadly, the local papers haven't bothered to say much about the deceased. He was a classic old lefty professor, well-liked by his students and at least some of his colleagues.

http://www.democraticcommunications.org/2016/08/in-memory-of-dr-ron-bettig/

We also had a garden-variety domestic dispute turns to murder. I don't know any of the people involved except that the senior judge in our county goes to our church and I kinda know his wife.

It's a small community, but not that small.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Less serious than crossbow murders, but has anyone else seen the Twitter account @Mumsnet_Madness?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Yes. Splendid stuff. Calling someone a Penis Beaker has become a standard insult in my team as a result.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Best Supporting Weirdo.

Just watch it.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

My eyes hurt after watching that.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

WOM wrote: Yup...it's our old cross-the-road neighbours. Police have just confirmed the identity of the shooter. It's one of their sons. The same son who was arrested as the Fake Beard Bandit 8 years ago. He was 27 then, 35 now. I just hope his mother wasn't one of the victims.
              So, yes, our ex-neighbour the bank robber has killed his mother and two brothers with a cross-bow. He (the killer) was to be married to a rather lovely looking girl in just two weeks. I wonder if we'll ever know what precipitated such an event.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Jeez! How dreadful, did you know them well?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

The mother is the only one I knew at all. In 11 years, I never said a single word to the four boys and only spoke once, very briefly, to the father. They were a deeply odd, distant family. A spotless, immaculately tended house hiding god knows what behind its doors.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Jeez. I'm only moving in to your basement if you agree to have it bullet and bolt-proofed.

That's a bit glib. What a thing to happen.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Wow. Speechless. Crossbow? What a horrible way to die.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

I'd imagine it's hard to kill three people with a crossbow, unless they're immobilised. It takes, at best, a few seconds to load and aim from what I remember.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Depends if they're together. If you're walking around the house and they are in different rooms it has an 'advantage' over a gun in that no one will hear a shot.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

That last post makes me sound like a psycho doesn't it.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Patrick Thistle wrote: That last post makes me sound like a psycho doesn't it.
                              No, just someone who plans comprehensively for any eventuality.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Here's a sentence I never expected.

Toronto’s last high-profile crossbow killing came five years ago when Zhou (Peter) Fang shot his father in the back with a crossbow amid a busy branch of the Toronto Public Library.
                                It implies Toronto has low-profile crossbow murders in addition to the marquee ones.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                                  Originally posted by Patrick Thistle
                                  That last post makes me sound like a psycho doesn't it.
                                  No, just someone who plans comprehensively for any eventuality.
                                  Not really considered crossbow murders before. Just thinking through the situation.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Reed John wrote: Here's a sentence I never expected.

Toronto’s last high-profile crossbow killing came five years ago when Zhou (Peter) Fang shot his father in the back with a crossbow amid a busy branch of the Toronto Public Library.
                                    It implies Toronto has low-profile crossbow murders in addition to the marquee ones.
                                    Yes. Presumably "high profile" is totally superfluous there and it should just be "last crossbow killing".

Also referring to these as crossbow killings kind of opens the gates to it becoming a recognised way to kill people. 'Oh, another crossbow killer.'

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Crossbows are fairly popular hunting weapons here. They're not subject to permits or licenses (though they're prohibited if they can be fired with one hand.) One wonders if this will change now.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Used to be like that in the UK but I believe you need a shotgun licence to own one now.
                                        I once made a lego crossbow that fired real darts.
                                        Obviously I didn't shoot anyone with it.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Slightly sinister fun for all the family...

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Amor de Cosmos wrote: I'd imagine it's hard to kill three people with a crossbow, unless they're immobilised. It takes, at best, a few seconds to load and aim from what I remember.
                                            Or locked in a small room with no way out, perhaps?

Unimaginable to me how that would go down.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Amor de Cosmos wrote: Crossbows are fairly popular hunting weapons here. They're not subject to permits or licenses (though they're prohibited if they can be fired with one hand.) One wonders if this will change now.
                                              That should change.

Here it used to be that only handicapped people could hunt with them, but now they're legal for anyone during bow season. Seems like a horrific way to kill a deer, even if it takes more skill than a rifle.

Comment

The WTF? Thread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37196629

"He was not successful in retrieving the phone"

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Isn't that just like a wop? Brings a gun to a cup of tea fight.

I wonder what sort of tea it was?

Comment

The WTF? Thread

Jesus Fucking Christ!!!

The Guardian magazine.

p17, Experience.

Jeanna Giese.

"I contracted rabies.

And survived"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X