Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great cross post!

Comment

A fine effort by GB's 800m women to all reach the final & if Keely Hodgkinson's time is not this week then it will surely be soon coming. Now they have to race Athing Mu who at 19 is already a phenomenon. I've seen her race at the NCAA Champs where she won the 400 & the 800 then at the US Olympic trials (800 only). With the two rounds in Tokyo that's eight races, all won.It will be interesting to see if she can be beat but I've a feeling that's not going to happen on Tuesday.

Comment

Dressel and McKeon with just incredible Olympics, no matter what happens in the relays.

Comment

That was epic at the BMX. American lady Hannah Roberts does her first run of 2 and nails a score of 96.10, throws her bike down like she is dropping the mic and saying to the world, this is over folks.

Up steps Charlotte Worthington of GB, who had fell in the first run trying a new trick, and she decides to go all out again instead of trying for silver or bronze. She nails the new trick and launches into a 60 second blitz of brilliance and is awarded a score of 97, taking the gold as Roberts instantly failed in her 2nd run.

That's how you capture the moment. The best gold medal for team GB so far in my opinion.

Comment

The BMX freestyle was stunning stuff.

French boxer cracking the shits after being disqualified for careless use of the noggin (technical term).

Gripping hockey between Netherlands and Australia, the latter winning a shoot-out in which former failed to score in first three attempts.

Comment

That frostiness between the Jamaican women sprinters?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/olympi...c2a5c2cc64a57c

“I think it’s pretty obvious (there’s tension),” Aussie athletics great Tamsyn Manou explained on Seven.

“Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce left their coach after she won a gold medal at the world champs. She wanted to be in a different training group for a reason.”

Comment

Kasumigaseki deserves a gold medal. What fantastic golf course (wish they'd kept the double greens though) and what a final round it's producing.

Comment

I thought the disqualification for the French boxer was harsh but I don't know if they are stricter on errant head use in amateur competition due to fighters having to come back in a few days for more fights and this is more damaging than it would be to a pro.

Comment

Apols if already covered but I'd not realised Rory McIlroy was representing Ireland. Presumably the qualification criteria is national associations rather than nationality.
                    Although he admirably usually steers clear of politics/sectarianism, he is of the protestant persuasion, and has said in interview he feels more British than Irish. He's also been notably lukewarm about golf at the Olympics, as I am.

Comment

Are they going to award 10 (or whatever it is) bronze medals in the golf?

Comment

Play-off. Which is a normal thing for golf tournaments, albeit usually for first rather than third. 7-way is lots to be involved, though. Will it all be one group, or two groups taking turns to play the hole?

Comment

I bet Mr. Sabbatini is happy he switched from South Africa to Slovakia. That decision, probably calculated for this event, has paid off big time.

Comment

By the way, I take it that once the men's golf is over there'll be a women's event? I'm not really keen on there being any golf at the Olympics but it would be a million times worse if it were just a male thing

Comment

Was thinking the same.

It seems to be a three-hole play-off.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                By the way, I take it that once the men's golf is over there'll be a women's event? I'm not really keen on their being any golf at the Olympics but it would be a million times worse if it were just a male thing
                                I fear not.

Comment

There is definitely a women's tournament.

Comment

Starts on 3 August, medals awarded on the 6th

i don't believe that the IOC is authorizing any new sports that are gender exclusive

Comment

I read yesterday that, since 2012 no new sports are gender exclusive, as Ursus says.

Comment

How many sports are gender exclusive in the Olympics? Off the top of my head I can only think of rhythmic gymnastics.

Comment

Technically baseball and softball are different sports aren't they?

Comment

Yes, but they are under a single international federation and we're authorized as a package.

Comment

I would say they are. Do the women have wrestling events?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                                Starts on 3 August, medals awarded on the 6th

i don't believe that the IOC is authorizing any new sports that are gender exclusive
                                                Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                                                  Wrestling has been in the games since 1896.

I was referring to the IOC's current approach,

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                                                    Women's wrestling was introduced in 2004, although Greco-Roman remains entirely male.

Artistic (formerly synchronised) swimming is exclusively female.

There are a few sports (e.g. Boxing) where men have more events than women.

In athletics only men do the 50km walk (although that event is to be dropped from 2024)

Comment

Working...
                                                    X