Tokyo Olympics - The Actual Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tokyo Olympics - The Actual Sport

I'm struggling as much as most people to acclimatise to the idea of the Games going ahead, especially without crowds, but thought it better that we have a dedicated thread for discussing the goings on in the actual competitions rather than the various controversies.

Obviously we've already got one running in the Football forum for that sport and maybe Cycling and Rugby (Sevens) will crop up in the relevant threads but maybe Athletics and all the other stuff needs it's own place.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 22-07-2021, 22:48.

Agreed that this is a good idea

Comment

Cycling men's road race comes up very quickly. Maybe hitting Mount Fuji around breakfast time here

Comment

I'm certainly looking forward to seeing some of the stuff that only gets on telly at an Olympics - handball, volleyball, white water canoeing, all of that. I hope the beeb actually show some of the sports Britain aren't directly involved in, and not just concentrate on the rowing and cycling.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the sport climbing. While I sounded off in my typical way stood at the bar when it was announced that it was to be an Olympic sport ("Pah, it's rubbish, they'll let crap like breakdancing in next!"), I did accidentally watch it at some Youth Olympics or something a few years ago, and found it absolutely addictive TV.

Comment

Breakdancing will be an event in Paris

Only need to hold on for three years

Comment

Three days of rowing have been provisionally postponed because of the impending typhoon

Comment

That would have made it more interesting than the usual “ five minutes in a straight line” stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  Three days of rowing have been provisionally postponed because of the impending typhoon
                  Although Irish radio now reports that some of the races have been brought forward to Sunday.

Comment

It looks as if the typhoon will pass to the south, with Taiwan and China bearing the brunt, though there are no fears for heavy rains that could follow behind it later in the week.

Comment

Striking number of spectators on the early stages of the men's road race course.

One of the few events the general public can watch, especially with the Marathons and Race Walking exiled to Sapporo

Comment

By the way, for those in the US, I am finding the nbcolympics.com website even better than the app (and significantly better than any channel's coverage).

Comment

Morning ursus, morning everyone. Literally the first thing I saw when I put the stream on was Geraint Thomas post-crash.

Comment

Juraj Sagan in the break, would be brilliant if he brought it home. 150km to go. Tea is brewing.

Comment

I don't know if it is lack of acclimatisation, heat, terrain, Tour fatigue or a combination of them all, but that climb wiped out a number of guys who would have been expected to handle it.
                              Last edited by ursus arctos; 24-07-2021, 06:29.

Comment

Can anyone point me in the direction of a picture of the stage profile

(I guess not stage, race)

Comment

Comment

Brilliant. Cheers

Comment

So now I know how bizarre it is to watch cyclists on an F1 circuit.

Comment

What are the chessboards at 171 and 189 kms?

Comment

The two occasions on which they cross the ultimate finish line before the finish.

This part of the course involves loops.

Comment

Ah got it. Thanks

Comment

The next climb contains some brutal gradients - 20% in places. Could really split the main group.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                So now I know how bizarre it is to watch cyclists on an F1 circuit.
                                                An increasingly common (and much derided) feature of Grands Tours in recent years (particularly the Giro).

Comment

The break is splintering and will be toast very soon.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X