No announcement yet.

Tokyo Olympics - The Actual Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was fantastic. Big up the Lewisham massive.

Comment

Great event and fantastic performance from the GB team. So pleased for Jonny Brownlee in particular.

Comment

Yep, that was great.

Comment

When Vincent Luis made his dramatic move on the bike, suddenly catching Yee, I thought that was it. In fact it was decisive the other way, which is why the relay is so fascinating. The only change I'd make is the run could be a bit longer.

No weak links in that GBR team, props to them.

Comment

I understand the sentiment, but the risk of making the run longer is that it would always be determinative.

I feel that the balance between the three disciplines is better in the relay than the individual competition. It also privileges the skills involved in transitions, which are not at all as simple as the top performers make it look.

Just a brilliant event and a very well deserved gold for GB. Brownlee completes his set of Olympic medals in his last performance.

Comment

Yes, I always felt that I could be a top triathlete if I knew how to get changed quicker. When they put the shoes on I want to shout "check your laces, you'll trip!"

If the run isn't longer perhaps it could be one lap. Just for TV purposes, those lapped runners got in the way. Though it was funny when the Kiwi overtook the French guy and we had a moment.

Comment

The course was problematic and it was even more evident I the individual competitions.

My understanding is that a combination of sponsorship pressure and a desire to minimise traffic disruptions led them to make the course significantly more compact than was ideal (see also the way the hairpin really broke up the cycling leg).

Comment

Ruby Tui is at it again (and speaking in Samoan):

https://twitter.com/JoCurrie/status/1421045933156884483

Comment

Hey Ruby, never mind the interviews, try holding onto the ball (yes, I'm that fickle ...).

Fiji unlucky, Black Ferns really look beatable. Enough with the drama already, just win the damn thing.

Comment

France look phenomenal so far in this Sevens match, that third try was gorgeous.

Comment

Jaz Joyce is taking them on almost single-handedly though.

Comment

Insane mixed swim relay win for GB after an awful start.
                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 31-07-2021, 03:03.

Comment

France deservedly win the Sevens semi 26-19 after a nail-biting finish.
                            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 31-07-2021, 02:59.

Comment

After a successful relay it is common to talk up the perceived weaker members of the bunch but for team GB, Peaty should be talked about first. He is a savage in the pool. You can imagine his 3 team mates being scared of letting him down.

I think he should be a contender for sports personality of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
                                After a successful relay it is common to talk up the perceived weaker members of the bunch but for team GB, Peaty should be talked about first. He is a savage in the pool. You can imagine his 3 team mates being scared of letting him down.

I think he should be a contender for sports personality of the year.
                                He will be and has been before, I remember having to explain to some people on here who he was and why he so deserved it the first time he was nominated.

He's an absolute monster and has has an Andy Murrayesque impact on British Swimming,

Comment

An insight in to why the gap was too big for even Caeleb Dressel to make up for the USA on the final leg, this happened to Lydia Jacoby on leg two :

Comment

Update on Connor Fields.

https://twitter.com/johnbranchnyt/status/1421329840028983298?s=21

Comment

Second medal ever for San Marino, as they come within one point of the gold in the mixed pair trap shooting

Fernandez of Spain only missed once out of 25 shots

Comment

Suddenly all Spain is a shooting expert, similar to taekwando after Adriana Cerezo's admirable silver.

Adriana, by the way, got 13 out ot a possible 14 points in her university entrance exam. And in interviews she seems lovely.

Comment

Mete Gazoz of Turkey is into the semi-finals of the archery, which has caused me to note that the Turks have not made an impression on the games so far, with only two bronzes in Tae Kwon Do

The Japanese absolutely dominate ROC to reach the final of the Mixed Team Judo. Their mastery gives one a greater appreciation of the sport.

Comment

A 14 point grading system seems wonderfully idiosyncratic, btw

It reminds me of the non linear 15 point system that we had at uni just to be different (see also insisting that a bachelor's degree is a A.B. rather than B.A.)

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              A 14 point grading system seems wonderfully idiosyncratic, btw

It reminds me of the non linear 15 point system that we had at uni just to be different (see also insisting that a bachelor's degree is a A.B. rather than B.A.)
                                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selectividad#Since_2010

"With the new Selectividad exam, the final mark is no longer the average score of the six exams taken. Now, the four marks achieved in the Common Part are taken and an average score up to 10 points is given. Then, each University establishes different parameters for the other subjects taken in the Specific Part. For example, a student who took Spanish, English, History and Math got an average score of 8.55. Then they took Physics and Chemistry exams, and got a 9 and a 7. They want to study Architecture, and the University they want to study at considers Physics more important than Chemistry at that degree, so their 9 will turn into 1.8 additional points (9*0.2) and Chemistry in 0.7 more points (7*0.1). The final score will be 8.55+1.8+0.7=11.05 out of 14 points possible. Other example: another student gets a 9 in the Common Part, and then she takes Economics and Physics. She will finally study Law, so her Physics score will likely not to have effect in her final score, but Economics will be awarded with a 0.15 or 0.20 multiplier.

The mark in the Common Part lasts forever, but the one in the Specific Part needs to be renewed after two years if needed.

Grade = (g.p.a in Bachillerato * 0.6) + (arithmetic mean of the grades obtained in the general part * 0.4) + (Specific part Exam I * a) + (Specific part Exam II * b)

Where a and b are the weight (0, 0.1 or 0.2) of that specific test for the course and university you are applying for. The maximum grade is therefore 14."

Comment

I'll be so glad when the tennis is finished and eurosport don't waste one of their channels showing a sport I can watch 50 weeks of the year

Comment

Gazoz wins his semifinal and is guaranteed to win Turkey's third medal of the Games and first ever in archery

Tomorrow should be the last day of tennis; there are only a couple of matches left

Comment

Gazoz wins Gold

Comment

Working...
                                                    X