No announcement yet.

Tokyo Olympics - The Actual Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, that was unfair. I misread your point.

I think that rhythmic gymnastics and Greco-Roman wrestling are now unique (with baseball and softball), given that they have added women's freestyle wrestling

Comment

And Zeb provided a better answer in the interim. Sigh,

Comment

Spain-Slovenia to win the group in men's basketball

Comment

The French Boxing Federation is appealing Aliev's disqualification to CAS/TAS.

Aliev claims the officials told him that they had made a mistake, but could not change the decision once the result was final.

Comment

Er, Switzerland playing Switzerland in the Beach Volleyball right now seems weird.

I realise the same happens in singles/doubles tennis but isn't the Beach Volleyball considered a "team sport" with single entry?
            Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-08-2021, 09:29.

Comment

Originally posted by multipleman78 View Post
              That was epic at the BMX. American lady Hannah Roberts does her first run of 2 and nails a score of 96.10, throws her bike down like she is dropping the mic and saying to the world, this is over folks.

Up steps Charlotte Worthington of GB, who had fell in the first run trying a new trick, and she decides to go all out again instead of trying for silver or bronze. She nails the new trick and launches into a 60 second blitz of brilliance and is awarded a score of 97, taking the gold as Roberts instantly failed in her 2nd run.

That's how you capture the moment. The best gold medal for team GB so far in my opinion.
              Just watched the BBC summary of this, and I had to watch her routine twice to work out what the f*** had just happened. One of the best things I've seen in the games so far.

Comment

The men's high jump world record has stood since 1993. Infact looking at the all-time list, it seems to be an event where performances have plateaued, with no obvious bias towards the current century:

https://www.worldathletics.org/recor...oor/men/senior

In the men's 100m, the shorts seem to show you the full phallic profile, which I don't recall happening in the 80s-90s.
                Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-08-2021, 10:14.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                  Er, Switzerland playing Switzerland in the Beach Volleyball right now seems weird.

I realise the same happens in singles/doubles tennis but isn't the Beach Volleyball considered a "team sport" with single entry?
                  For Beach Volleyball each nation is permitted a maximum of two entries. "Russia", Brazil, Poland, USA and Italy each have two teams in the men's tournament. Canada, USA, Brazil, Switzerland, Netherlands, Germany and China each have two in the women's.

The weirder thing is surely a landlocked country being good at a beach sport.

Comment

Prescod finally disqualified for his seemingly habitual false start in the 100m semi-final.

Comment

Are the skills in the beach version vastly different from regular volleyball?

Comment

Zharnel Hughes has a great chance on that performance. PB of 9.91 and ran 9.95 when winning the European Champs. But Jacobs has already run 9.94 here.

EDIT: Looks like the quality was in the 3rd heat. New European record for Jacobs.
                        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 01-08-2021, 10:43.

Comment

Yes, Cram was really annoying me in the build up to that final heat talking about watching the time of the third place finisher when it was always entirely possible both of the fastest losers could come from the third race.

Comment

Haiti have a women's 100m hurdles semi-finalist.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post

For Beach Volleyball each nation is permitted a maximum of two entries. "Russia", Brazil, Poland, USA and Italy each have two teams in the men's tournament. Canada, USA, Brazil, Switzerland, Netherlands, Germany and China each have two in the women's.

Interesting, thanks. Thinking about it I recall I might have seen a China v China match in the Beach Volleyball session I attended at London 2012.

On checking, it's not classified as a Team Sport in the Olympics so the multiple entries is logical.

Comment

Camacho-Quinn equals the 4th fastest time ever: 12.26: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_me...ll-time_top_25

Comment

https://twitter.com/turnerwalston/status/1421286178142175237?s=21

Comment

On a similar note, I'm pretty sure I saw Oblique Seville support They Might Be Giants at ULU in 1994.

Comment

Great that Amos is still in the 800m, love him.

Comment

Fuck, Amos taken out by Jewett falling in front of him!

Edit : ah, Amos may have accidentally clipped Jewett actually.

Comment

Hyde wants to hide.

Comment

ROJAS GETS THE TRIPLE JUMP WORLD RECORD!

Astounding performance from her.

Comment

That was great.

Comment

Joint golds!

Comment

High jumpers share the gold medal. Wow.

Comment

Do you think the Italian was pleased?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X