No announcement yet.

Cricket World Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How else would they do it? Groups like in the football or hockey tournaments?

Comment

It could in fact be me saying stuff that won't age brilliantly but I think all the pre-tournament talk of '500' and 'cannon fodder' is already looking like it'll be wide of the mark this world cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
        How else would they do it? Groups like in the football or hockey tournaments?
        This is just the second time that there is a single group with the top four going through to semi finals (1992 was the previous).

On most occasions there have been two groups (containing between four and seven teams each) with varying numbers of teams at the top group advancing to knockout stages. Exceptions are 1999 and 2003 when the top three of each group went through to a second group stage (called the Super Six) in which each side carried over the results against the qualifiers from their own group and played the three qualifiers from the other. The top four in this stage then qualified for the semi finals.

2007 was the only tournament to have four groups in the first stage - each had four teams of which the top two qualified for the Super Eight from which the top four qualified for the semis. The major drawback of this (at least as far as the TV companies were concerned) was that big draws like India or Pakistan could (and did) lose unexpectedly in the first round and be knocked out after only three games. This prompted a change for the next two tournaments in which the initial groups contained seven sides, guaranteeing each qualifier at least six matches.

Comment

The complete round-robin seems like a better format.

Comment

The complete Round Robin reduces the number of teams who can compete, which is problematic as a number of nations have been improving recently and deserve the chance to continue that improvement and showcase the game in countries where it's weak and the publicity from an event like this can make a massive difference. Afghanistan are the only newish member in this tournament, which is excluding Zimbabwe, Scotland and Ireland as particularly strong countries, and UAE, Netherlands, Kenya, Canada and a handful of others who've long been competitive at the top of what might be thought of as "second division" level.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
              It could in fact be me saying stuff that won't age brilliantly but I think all the pre-tournament talk of '500' and 'cannon fodder' is already looking like it'll be wide of the mark this world cup.
              I don't think Agnew was saying England would score 500 this tournament, to be fair to him. I didn't really pick up on the line "balls little more than cannon fodder for the huge bats" line and it is a weird metaphor to say the least.

Comment

When combined with the four team knockout, the complete round robin also materially increases the chances of dead rubbers.

And all that is before one considers the fact that the whole thing was done for Indian television.
                Last edited by ursus arctos; 04-06-2019, 23:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                  Yeah, fair point. I was more thinking of anything that "hasn't aged brilliantly".
                  The games haven't been dominated by the bat to the extent that Aggers' article predicted, although it's still early days and India haven't batted yet so that pattern could still emerge. At present, bowlers are having a bigger say than I'd have expected.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                    The complete Round Robin reduces the number of teams who can compete, which is problematic as a number of nations have been improving recently and deserve the chance to continue that improvement and showcase the game in countries where it's weak and the publicity from an event like this can make a massive difference. Afghanistan are the only newish member in this tournament, which is excluding Zimbabwe, Scotland and Ireland as particularly strong countries, and UAE, Netherlands, Kenya, Canada and a handful of others who've long been competitive at the top of what might be thought of as "second division" level.
                    See, I would have thought it already has a lot of dud matches.

It is unfortunate that those second tier teams can’t participate.

Comment

SA win the toss and choose to bat first.

Comment

And it's slow progress. Good performance from India so far.

Comment

Oh, this is brutal.

Comment

South Africa had the second highest W/L ratio in WC history coming into this* so this year must be the worse they have ever been.

*which proves that group form and world ranking are no guarantee of winning the tournament. South Africa were bigger favourites in 2003 than England are here IIRC.

Comment

Whilst this current partnership has lasted over 8 overs, the run rate is actually dropping, not increasing.

Comment

Well that wasn't a bad recovery from South Africa and the bowlers have got off to a decent start too.

Comment

Here comes Kohli to face a fired-up Rabada.

Comment

Mushfiqur runs himself out at the Oval.

110 for 3 off 24 and E10 (who is there) reckons they will be well short.

Comment

Kohli's gone.

Comment

What a take by de Kcck.

Comment

Worm at 16 overs. If South Africa take a couple of wickets soon....

Comment

India starting to get the upper hand. Saffers need a quick wicket.

Comment

Yeah, scores are similar in terms of runs at this stage but South Africa had lost three more wickets. India's to lose now I think.

Comment

Yes, and India bat very deep. No way the Saffers win this, sadly.

Comment

India scoring runs thick and fast now we're past the 30 over mark. This'll be a formality now.

Comment

We've managed to jinx out Rahul, but Dhoni surely takes India home.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X