No announcement yet.

Cricket World Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nine gone, lovely slow ball does for Malinga, and I don't think SL will be batting out the innings.

Comment

Oof. SL all out for 201. What a collapse. But what a performance from Afghanistan!

Comment

187 the revised target in 41 overs, which is a pedestrian 4.5/over. Sri Lanka will be desperate for early wickets then.

Comment

I'm not sure why the target is only reduced by 15 given Afghanistan have lost 9 overs of their 50. Moreover, SL didn't bat out their 41 so why not reward Afghanistan for the bowl-out?

Comment

Pull shot comes up short and is caught. Sri Lanka have a third and the pendulum starts to swing back the other way a little.

Comment

Excellent catch that too, wonder if it's the turning point.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                I'm not sure why the target is only reduced by 15 given Afghanistan have lost 9 overs of their 50. Moreover, SL didn't bat out their 41 so why not reward Afghanistan for the bowl-out?
                D/L does take wickets into account. I'm fairly sure that if the innings had been curtailed by rain at 36 overs and SL had still had 8 wickets in hand then the par score would have been much higher.

Comment

Advantage SL, in a big way now. If the weather holds until the twentieth over.

Comment

Malinga is in his 4th World Cup. I can't think of anyone else except Gayle who played in 2007.

Comment

Tamim Iqbal played in 2007

Comment

Just came on to say that I hadn't realised that he was still going.

Comment

Er, Malinga, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                            Odds have just updated on PP; they are both 9/10. I'm putting my 20p on N. Zadaran to be Afghanistan's top run scorer.

Let's hope it stays dry,
                            This penny-punt is working out well so far at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                              Tamim Iqbal played in 2007
                              A couple of others from Bangladesh; Shakib Al Hasan and Mashrafe Mortaza were in the squad.

MS Dhoni was around back then too.
                              Last edited by Greenlander; 04-06-2019, 18:18.

Comment

And if Zimbabwe had made it, it'd be highly likely they'd have had at least six players who were around in 2007.

Comment

What does the number/41 mean in the score?

Comment

Off the top of my head Amla, Morgan, Plunkett, Taylor and Shoaib Malik all played in 2007. The latter has the longest gap between World Cup wickets according to Andy Zaltzman on TMS yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post

What does the number/41 mean in the score?
                                      Number of overs actually bowled/ Maximum number of overs that can (could) be bowled
                                      Last edited by Greenlander; 04-06-2019, 18:45.

Comment

Thank you.

How do they decide the number of overs to play based on the delay? And what if the rain is coming but it’s not certain exactly when it will arrive? How much rain is too much to play in?

Comment

They get reports as to when "bad light" (from it getting dark) will mean that play is no longer possible and work back from that in terms of the number of overs that can be completed given the pace of play so far (allowing a significant margin).

Cricket is more susceptible to rain than is baseball, largely because deliveries generally pitch (bounce) on the wicket. Matches in process normally aren't stopped until rain actually falls, unless the sky is so dark that the match is suspended for bad light.

Comment

Picked up the shopping on the way home and they chucked in one of the leftover copies of their weekend magazine/paper thingy. This column from Aggers hasn't aged brilliantly.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                              They get reports as to when "bad light" (from it getting dark) will mean that play is no longer possible and work back from that in terms of the number of overs that can be completed given the pace of play so far (allowing a significant margin).

Cricket is more susceptible to rain than is baseball, largely because deliveries generally pitch (bounce) on the wicket. Matches in process normally aren't stopped until rain actually falls, unless the sky is so dark that the match is suspended for bad light.
                                              I take it they never just switch to a white ball and turn on the lights.

Comment

It's a white ball from the start and floodlights are used when needed.

I'm not sure Agnew's said anything in that article that's been proved inaccurate really, he acknowledges the potential for an "upset" or "rogue defeat" after all.

It's very simplistic but I presume that's because it's for an audience who are far from avid cricket watchers.
                                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 04-06-2019, 20:56.

Comment

"Universally preferred system" is a bit of a porker, no?

Comment

Yeah, fair point. I was more thinking of anything that "hasn't aged brilliantly".

Comment

Working...
                                                    X