No announcement yet.

Cricket World Cup 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's obviously much fairer, though god knows I'm not sure my nerves could have taken another Super Over.

Comment

Not that its ever going to be needed now. I am interested to know if you can keep picking the same batters and bowlers though or if you have to choose different players each time.

Comment

After board meetings in Dubai, the ICC resolved that in semi-finals and finals in future world tournaments, if the teams score the same number of runs in their Super Overs, the Super Over will be repeated until one team wins.
        Or it gets dark, which would probably have been the case if these had been the rules back in the summer. And then what do they do? Ill-thought through. And when my idea, which is based on an inherent, ever-present asymmetry in the game, exists as both a fair and entirely simple method of picking a winner from tie situations. I should have written in to the ICC to suggest it, I suppose...

Comment

Oh great. Just when I was getting over it too.

Do sports administrators ever say "Sorry, we got it wrong, and what's worse, we got it avoidably, predictably wrong. We just couldn't be arsed to think it through, because we knew it wasn't ever going to happen. Our bad!"

And it's not even a full solution. You've got to have a back-up regulation in place to separate teams after they're still tied after the 2nd or 3rd or 4th super over, or for some reason that nobody has anticipated yet. "It's OK, that would never happen" ... yeah, we've been there, what did happen wasn't going to happen either.

Anyway, as I said before, it's not the decisions, it's the shameful ducking for cover. Every player and umpire under the spotlight, crushingly so, exposed and vilified on social media, as ever. But some committee in Dubai? Nope. Just a little footnote to the news, months later.

Comment

If I read the statement correctly, group games now get ONE Super Over as a tie-breaker. After that, the final result is ... still a tie.

Seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Comment

Jimmy Neesham: "Breaking news: better binoculars for ice-spotters on the Titanic."

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                Or it gets dark, which would probably have been the case if these had been the rules back in the summer.
                Have a rule that all SF and Finals must be played in grounds with access to lights?

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post

Oh great. Just when I was getting over it too.

Do sports administrators ever say "Sorry, we got it wrong, and what's worse, we got it avoidably, predictably wrong. We just couldn't be arsed to think it through, because we knew it wasn't ever going to happen. Our bad!"

And it's not even a full solution. You've got to have a back-up regulation in place to separate teams after they're still tied after the 2nd or 3rd or 4th super over, or for some reason that nobody has anticipated yet. "It's OK, that would never happen" ... yeah, we've been there, what did happen wasn't going to happen either.

Anyway, as I said before, it's not the decisions, it's the shameful ducking for cover. Every player and umpire under the spotlight, crushingly so, exposed and vilified on social media, as ever. But some committee in Dubai? Nope. Just a little footnote to the news, months later.
                  See my #1692

Flawed irrational decision making continues.

Pathetic.

Comment

Working...
                  X