No announcement yet.

A Jazz Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘Brixton Baby’ from Ty’s final album ‘A Work Of Heart’ (2018), with Mpho Skeef vocals, Andrew Horley drums/keyboards, Akwasi Mensah piano/synth bass and Julian Siegel bass clarinet/clarinet. The accompanying video, which features the people, sights and sounds of Brixton, is rather wonderful too.

Comment

‘Selina Kyle’ from Portuguese bassist Andre Carvalho’s 2014 album ‘Memoria De Amiba’, with Jorge Reiss soprano/alto saxophones, Ze Maria tenor saxophone, Bruno Santos guitar, Oscar Graca piano, Jeffery Davis vibraphone and Joao Rijo drums.

Comment

‘Clear The Rain’ from Chris Dingman’s 2011 album ‘Waking Dreams’, with Dingman vibraphone, Ambrose Akinmusire trumpet, Loren Stillman tenor saxophone, Fabian Almazan piano, Joe Sanders bass and Justin Brown drums.

Comment

‘Free Time’ from drummer Mareike Wiening’s 2019 album ‘Metropolis Paradise’, with Rich Perry tenor saxophone, Dan Tepfer piano, Alex Goodman guitar and Johannes Feischer bass.

Comment

The title track from trumpeter Raynald Colom’s 2020 album ‘Wholeness’, with Tony Tixier piano and electric piano, Joe Sanders bass and Francesco Ciniglio drums.

Comment

‘Occurrance’ (sic) from the Sam Jones Quintet’s 1978 album ‘Visitation’, with Jones on bass, Terumasa Hino cornet, Bob Berg tenor saxophone, Ronnie Matthews piano and Al Foster drums.

Comment

‘The Real McCoy’ from Earl Turbinton’s 1988 album ‘Brothers For Life’, with Turbinton on alto saxophone, Wilson ‘Willie Tee’ Turbinton piano, James Singleton bass and David Lee Jr drums.

Comment

‘Playground’ from Wayne Shorter’s 1967 album ‘Schizophrenia’, with Shorter on tenor saxophone, Curtis Fuller trombone, James Spaulding alto saxophone, Herbie Hancock piano, Ron Carter bass and Joe Chambers drums.

Comment

‘Morning Tale’ from Kohsuke Mine’s 1970 album ‘First’, with Mine on alto saxophone, Masabumi Kikuchi electric piano, Larry Ridley bass and Lenny McBrowne drums.

Comment

‘Scent Of Soil’ from the Hanna Paulsberg Concept’s 2018 album ‘Daughter Of The Sun’, with Paulsberg tenor saxophone and vocals, Oscar Gronberg piano, Trygve Fiske bass, Hans Hulbaekmo drums and guest Magnus Broo trumpet.

Comment

‘Kallfu’ from the 2019 album ‘Ambar’ by Camila Meza and The Nectar Orchestra – Meza vocals/guitar, Eden Ladin piano, Fung Chern Hwei violin, Tomoko Omura violin, Brian Sanders cello and Keita Ogawa drums.

Comment

‘Walter Cronkite’ from pianist David Ake’s 2018 album ‘Humanities’, with Ralph Alessi trumpet, Ben Monder guitar, Drew Gress bass and Mark Ferber drums.

Comment

‘1 East West’ from bassist Ross McHenry’s 2020 album ‘Nothing Remains Unchanged’, with Ben Wendel tenor saxophone, Matthew Sheens piano and Eric Harland drums.

Comment

Wish I could figure out how to upload this pic ("file extensions png and jpg are not allowed to upload" ?!) but here's a beautiful pic of Steve Reich and Pat Metheny for you gjw. I wanted to try and find the photographer for this a few months ago but failed. They're performing Electric Counterpoint at the Guggenheim. Quite a moment.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/38/ca...46ce6e9005.jpg
                              Last edited by diggedy derek; 29-05-2021, 10:46.

Comment

Comment

Ta, what's the best and easiest way to do that then?

Comment

Click the photo icon (rectangle with mountains) - If you don't see that icon, click on the Blue A in the top right of the reply box and it should appear.

That will bring up a box.

Unclick Retrieve remote file and reference locally

Paste the url for the photo in the box

Click OK

Comment

Cheers, dd (and ursus). A great picture. I've always assumed that Metheny played 'Electric Counterpoint' exactly as it was written by Reich, which is interesting as listening to it again this evening after a gap of over 20 years I can hear several distinctive 'Metheny-esque' phrases that he must have taken on board from the session.

Comment

And of course, the third movement of 'Electric Counterpoint' was sampled by The Orb a few years later for 'Little Fluffy Clouds'. I can remember hearing it on the radio for the first time and thinking I know that little guitar line they've used there, but not working out what it was for several months. Had OTF been around at the time, I'm sure someone would have enlightened me sooner.

Comment

‘Raindown’ from the 2007 album ‘One Sweet Life’ by the sadly short-lived Brotherly, featuring vocalist Anna Stubbs and Robin Mullarkey bass/guitar/keyboards, with Martyn Kaine drums and Volker Strater percussion.

Comment

‘Thrill’ from the dZihan And Kamien Orchestra’s 2003 ‘Live In Vienna’ album, with Vlado dZihan keyboards, Mario Kamien guitar/samples, Edita Malovcic (aka Madita) vocals, Levent Altindag tenor saxophone, Senova Ulker trumpet, Aycan Teztel trombone, Willi Langer bass, Andrew Small drums, Sammy Fugueroa percussion, Misirli Ahmet percussion and a small string orchestra.

Comment

‘El Dia Perfectp’ from the 2013 album ‘Take the Space Trane’ by keyboard player Mark de Clive-Lowe with the Rotterdam Jazz Orchestra.

Comment

‘Afromation’ from the 2017 album ‘Black Current Jam’ by bassist Robert Hurst, with Ian Finkelstein piano/keyboards, Rafael Statin flute, Nate Winn drums, Pep Espinosa percussion, Brendan Asante vocals and Jillian Hurst vocals.

Comment

‘Two’ from Nicholas Payton’s 2014 album ‘Numbers’, with Payton trumpet & electric piano, Devonne Harris keyboards, Keith Askey guitar, Corey Fonville drums and Andrew Randazzo bass.

Comment

‘Organic Juggernaut’ from Kaidi Tatham’s 2011 album ‘Kaidi’s 5ive’, with Tatham on keyboards, vocals, flute, synth bass, drums, percussion and programming.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X