Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony C
    replied
    The Vampires are an Australian four piece jazz group from Australia. I hadn’t heard them before coming across ‘Nightjar’ their recently released album that features Chris Abrahams from The Necks on piano. It’s very good.

Leave a comment:

• Sunderporinostesta
    replied
    Originally posted by imp View Post

I've recently come across Ibrahim Maalouf - I was taken with the track 'Certainties' on the chill jazz radio station I sometimes stream later on in the evenings. It's from his album Wind, which is as gorgeous as it is mellow.

Add: just read the above farewell post from gjw100, so would like to echo everyone's else's tributes and gratitude to what is effectively his thread.
    I’ve given this album a few listens and I more than like it. Further investigation into the fellers back catalogue will be required.

Leave a comment:

• Sunderporinostesta
    replied
    I’d like to add my sentiments to everyone else’s and wish gjw100 all the best and to thank him for this thread.
    I like about a third of the stuff posted which is one helluva hit rate with something as wide in scope as jazz. Especially with my aversion to overly weird, fast and discordant stuff.

Leave a comment:

• imp
    replied
    Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
    ‘Moon Dance’ from tenor saxophonist Ilhan Ersahin’s 2018 album ‘Solar Plexus’, with Ibrahim Maalouf trumpet, Dave Harrington guitar, Alp Ersonmez bass, Brandon Lewis drums, Turgut Alp Bkoglu drums and Izzet Kizil percussion.
    I've recently come across Ibrahim Maalouf - I was taken with the track 'Certainties' on the chill jazz radio station I sometimes stream later on in the evenings. It's from his album Wind, which is as gorgeous as it is mellow.

Add: just read the above farewell post from gjw100, so would like to echo everyone's else's tributes and gratitude to what is effectively his thread.
    Last edited by imp; 24-02-2024, 12:58.

Leave a comment:

• Satchmo Distel
    replied
    Vince Guaraldi Trio - Cast Your Fate To The Wind, 1962

Leave a comment:

• Evariste Euler Gauss
    replied
    I missed the posts on here from 12 to 14 July at the time. Very sorry to learn that OTF has lost gjw100. This thread is a great OTF legacy.

Leave a comment:

• Sam
    replied
    Yes, what he said. If you see this, gjw100, then we hope all's well. And, selfishly, that you might pop back in some day.

Leave a comment:

• Third rate Leszno
    replied
    I'm not a jazz fan so have never been on this thread before, but was led here intrigued by UAs 100,000th post - and I'd just echo what's been said above about gjw100 departing the OTF scene. I'm sorry to see you go and hope everything is ok, from one ex-HMRCer to another.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Why is gjw100 leaving?

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    Take care and return soon, gjw100. I only very seldomly clicked on a jazz offering tbh, but enjoyed your occasional Tun Wells anecdotes because of my own longish association with the place.

Leave a comment:

• Balderdasha
    replied
    Does anyone know why gjw100 is leaving?

Leave a comment:

• diggedy derek
    replied
    Thanks for everything gjw and nice to chat with you. Why not drop back sometime if you feel the itch?

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    A very, very sincere thank you for all that you have contributed over the years.

You have enriched the experience of many and provided us with an incredibly valuable archive for future exploration.

You will definitely be missed, but not forgotten.

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Yes very sorry to lose you gjw100

Good luck with everything and hope all is OK with you.

It's been a pleasure

Leave a comment:

• Gangster Octopus
    replied
    Sorry to see you leave.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    This will be my final post on the Jazz thread (and OTF), so I thought that I would bring things neatly up to date by linking to the last of the Spotify OTF Jazz playlists, which in total cover pretty much everything that I and others have posted here. Many thanks for the interest shown, the kind words and the encouragement given over the last few years. Cheerio.

Spotify - OTF Jazz #16
    Spotify - OTF Jazz #17
    Spotify - OTF Jazz #18
    Spotify - OTF Jazz #19
    Spotify - OTF Jazz #20
    Spotify - OTF Jazz #21

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Rainland’ from the 1992 solo album by Oregon’s Paul McCandless, featuring McCandless on oboe, Lyle Mays piano, Steve Cardenas guitar and Steve Rodby bass.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘August’ from the album ‘The Ludwigsburg Concert’, the 2015 release of a 1993 live recording by the late and much-missed pianist Lyle Mays, who was joined by Bob Sheppard soprano saxophone, Marc Johnson bass and Mark Walker drums.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Meridianne - A Wood Sylph’ from the 1997 duo album ‘1 + 1’ by Wayne Shorter (soprano saxophone) and Herbie Hancock (piano).

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Canter #5’ from Kenny Wheeler’s 2011 album ‘One Of Many’ with John Taylor piano, Steve Swallow bass and Wheeler on flugelhorn.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Sumother Song’ from trumpeter Kenny Wheeler’s 1978 ECM album ‘Deer Wan’, with Jan Garbarek tenor saxophone, John Abercrombie guitar, Dave Holland bass and Jack DeJohnette drums.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    ‘Chairs And Children’ from Burton’s 1990 album ‘Reunion’, with Pat Metheny guitar, Mitch Forman piano, Will Lee bass and Peter Erskine drums.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    First Impression’ from Burton’s 2004 album ‘Generations’, with Julian Lage guitar, Makoto Ozone piano, James Genus bass and Clarence Penn drums.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    Three from vibraphonist Gary Burton this morning, beginning with ‘Operation Tango’ from 'The New Tango’, his 1987 album with bandoneon player Astor Piazzola, recorded live at the Montreux Jazz Festival. With Fernando Suarez Paz violin, Pablo Ziegler piano, Horatio Malvicino guitar and Hector Console bass.

Leave a comment:

• gjw100
    replied
    Another Gondwana release from earlier this year, this is ‘We Walk In The Gardens Of Ancestors’ from the album ‘Octava’ by Psi-Phonics – Sylvain Carton flute, Mitchell Yoshida electric piano, Seth Ford-Young bass and Josh Colazo drums.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X