No announcement yet.

A Jazz Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finland’s Wigwam made a number of very fine albums during the early to mid-Seventies, with ‘Fairyport’ from 1971 my favourite. This is ‘May Your Will Be Done, Dear Lord’ featuring the core band of Jim Pembroke vocals/piano, Jukka Gustavson keyboards, Pekka Pohjola bass and Ronnie Osterberg drums, with guests Tapio Louhensalo bassoon, Hannu Saxeline and Risto Pensola clarinets, Ilmari Varila oboe, Eero Koivistoinen and Pekka Poyry soprano saxophones and Unto Haapa-Aho bass clarinet.

Comment

Alongside Soft Machine, Caravan were perhaps the most successful and longest-lived of the ‘Canterbury’ bands. This is ‘Can’t Be Long Now – Francoise – For Richard – Warlock' from their 1970 album ‘If I Could Do It All Over Again, I’d Do It All Over You’, featuring Pye Hastings guitar/vocals, David Sinclair keyboards, Richard Sinclair bass/vocals and Richard Cooghlan drums/percussion, with Jimmy Hastings flute and tenor saxophone.

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gHQOqTWkrDE

This is track 1 from the album ‘Ghosted’ by Andreas Werliin, Johan Berthling, and Oren Ambarchi. The album was put my way about ten days ago and I’ve played it a lot since. Very good indeed.

Comment

Yes, I came across Caravan a year or two ago for the first time and enjoyed their work a lot. Stuart Maconie is a fan and plays their stuff regularly on his Sunday night Freak Zone show.

Comment

I've not heard of Wigwam. Thanks a lot for that one.

That Ghosted record is great. I like everything Oren Ambarchi does, but particularly when he's not in rock mode.

Comment

I went to see Wigwam at a free gig in Hyde Park in 1975. Shortly after seeing Caravan at Reading festival.

Comment

Loving the 'Ghosted' track, Tony. Very hypnotic. Oren Ambarchi is a musician I'd not encountered before.

Although I think I vaguely knew about them from the music press, I didn't properly discover Wigwam until 1977, when on a whim I picked up their 1975 release 'Nuclear Nightclub' (the first of their albums to get a proper UK release via Virgin) in a second-hand vinyl shop in T.Wells. I suspect that was the album they were touring when you saw them GO. I didn't get hold of the albums that preceded it until many years later, and still listen to them regularly. Wigwam were an interesting mix of Jim Pembroke's slightly more conventional rock influences and the jazzier sensibilities of Gustavson and Pohjola (father of trumpeter Verneri) that worked really well. Incidentally, Pembroke wrote a couple of Finland's Eurovision entries in the 1980's. I'm sorry to say that they weren't much cop.

Comment

‘Mutants On The Beach’ from drummer Tony Williams’ 1987 album ‘Civilization’, with Wallace Roney trumpet, Billy Pierce tenor saxophone, Mulgrew Miller piano and Charnett Moffett drums.

Comment

‘Rainsville’ from Don Grolnick’s 1996 album ‘Medianoche’, featuring Grolnick on piano, Michael Brecker tenor saxophone, Dave Valentin flute, Mike Mainieri vibraphone, Andy Gonzalez bass, Steve Berrios drums, Don Alias percussion and Milton Cardona percussion.

Comment

The title track from the 1989 album ‘Natural Selection’ by Quest – Dave Liebman soprano saxophone, Richie Beirach piano, Ron McClure bass and Billy Hart drums.

Comment

‘Koma Kaprifol’ from the 2022 album ‘Koma West by Petter Eldh’s Koma Saxo, featuring Eldh on bass, samples and percussion, Sofia Jernberg vocals, Otis Sandsjo alto saxophone and clarinet, Mikko Innanen alto/sopranino saxophones, Jonas Kulhammer tenor saxophone and flute, Kit Downes piano, Lucy Railton cello, Marta Reich violin and Christian Lillinger drums.

Comment

‘Snowman’ from the 2022 album ‘And Ud’ by Danish band I Just Came From The Moon – Jonas Scheffler trumpet, Nis Mrytue tenor saxophone, Nikolay Bugge guitar, Fredrik Hagner bass and Tobias Andreasson drums.

Comment

‘Time Voyager’ from Sleepwalker’s self-titled 2004 debut album, featuring Masato Nakamura saxello, Hajime Yoshizawa piano/sitar, Kiyoshi Ikeda bass and Nobuaki Fujii drums/percussion.

Comment

A version of Horace Silver’s ‘Nica’s Dream’ from the 1996 album ‘3rd Perspective’ by the United Future Organisation (DJ/producers Raphael Sebag, Toshio Matsuura and Tadashi Yabe), featuring Makoto Hirahara bass clarinet, Masato Nakamura soprano saxophone, Mikio Endo keyboards, Hiroyuki Komagata guitar and Hideo Yamaki drums.

Comment

‘Trip’ from keyboard-player Jim Beard’s 2008 album ‘Revolutions’, recorded with the Metropole Orchestra conducted by Vince Mendoza.

Comment

‘Satan’s Mysterious feeling’ from the 1971 album ‘Equipoise’ by drummer Roy Haynes, with Hannibal Marvin Peterson trumpet, George Adams tenor saxophone, Carl Schroeder electric piano, Teruo Nakamura bass, Elwood Johnson percussion and Lawrence Killian percussion.

Comment

‘Spanish Gypsy’ from trumpeter Luis Gasca’s 1972 album ‘For Those Who Chant’, with Carlos Santana guitar, Neal Schon guitar, George Cables keyboards, Gregg Rolie keyboards, Joe Henderson tenor saxophone, Stanley Clarke bass, Lenny White drums, Mike Shrieve drums, Michael Carabello percussion, Victor Pandoja percussion and Coke Escovedo percussion.

Comment

‘Mystique’ from the 1975 album ‘Bodies Warmth’ by saxophonist Eric Kloss, with Barry Miles keyboards, Vic Juris guitar, Harvie Swartz bass and Terry Silverlight drums.

Comment

A Steely Dan feature this morning, starting with the title track from ‘Aja’ (1977), regarded by many, including me, as their masterpiece. It’s an album that I never tire of listening to and it still sounds as fresh today as when I first popped it on the turntable way back when. Featuring Donald Fagen vocals/synthesizer, Walter Becker guitar, Wayne Shorter tenor saxophone, Joe Sample electric piano, Michael Omartian piano, Larry Carlton guitar, Denny Dias guitar, Chuck Rainey bass, Steve Gadd drums and Victor Feldman percussion.

Comment

‘On The Dunes’ from Donald Fagen’s 1993 album ‘Kamakiriad’, featuring Fagen on vocals and keyboards, Walter Becker bass, Georg Wadenius guitar, Lou Marini alto saxophone, Christopher Parker drums and Bashiri Johnson percussion. Fagen’s first solo album ‘Nightfly’ is the one that tends to receive the most plaudits, but I think this album just shades it.

Comment

‘Book Of Liars’ from Walter Becker’s 1994 album ‘Ii Tracks of Whack’, featuring Becker on vocals and bass, Dean Parks guitar, Donald Fagen keyboards, John Beasley keyboards, Bob Sheppard tenor saxophone, Ben Perowsky drums and Paulinho Da Costa percussion. One of the few tracks from Becker’s two solo albums that would sound perfectly at home on a Steely Dan album and the only one that featured regularly in the band’s live repertoire.

Comment

The title track from the 1974 album ‘The Cutting Edge’ by tenor saxophonist Sonny Rollins, with Stanley Cowell piano, Yoshiaki Masuo guitar, Bob Cranshaw bass, David Lee drums and Mtume percussion.

Comment

‘Cannonball Junction’ from trombonist J.J Johnson’s 1980 album ‘Pinnacles’, with Joe Henderson tenor saxophone, Oscar Brashear trumpet, Tommy Flanagan piano, Ron Carter bass and Billy Higgins drums.

Comment

‘Tzigane’ from flautist Lloyd McNeill’s 1978 album ‘Tori’, with Howard Johnson tuba, Amaury Tristao guitar, Dom Salvador piano, Buster Williams bass, Victor Lewis drums, Dom Um Romao percussion and Nana Vasconcelos vocals/percussion.

Comment

The title track from pianist Jorgen Emborg’s 1979 album ‘Sargasso’, with Jan zum Vohrde tenor saxophone, Peter Danstrup bass and Aage Tanggaard drums.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X