Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southport Zeb
    replied
    I saw Barry Hayles (now 46) play for Windsor at Lydney on Good Friday. He didn't play very well, which was something he had in common with his team mates.

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied
    Actually, Juan of Flamengo is not still playing.

He made his final appearance tonight at the age of 40, coming on as a late substitute in Flamengo's win against Cruzeiro. He started his career at Flamengo and played at Bayer Leverkusen, Roma and Internacional before returning to Flamengo in 2016. He made 78 appearances for Brazil including the 2006 and 2010 World Cups.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    The above post has led me to realise that this Friday is the ninth anniversary of this thread starting. Major plans will have to put in place to commemorate it's decade in 2020.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    https://twitter.com/BSFCTheBlues/status/1115636488157499393

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied
    Fabrício Coloccini, at the age of 37, playing now for San Lorenzo against Palmeiras in the Libertadores.

Leave a comment:

• seand
    replied
    Glenn Whelan is still an international class midfielder, it seems.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
    Ex Coventry striker Michael Mifsud is still playing for Malta, he could be only 28 but he seems to be around forever
    38 next month, so well worthy of his place on this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Originally posted by slackster View Post
    Already mentioned in the National League thread, but Kevin Lisbie, now 40, who once scored a Premier League hat-trick for The Addicks v Liverpool, still turns out for step 5 SCEFL side Cray Valley Paper Mills. They booked their place in the FA Vase final at Wembley yesterday.
    According to wiki he's managed 23 goals in 25 games so far this season too!

Leave a comment:

• elguapo4
    replied
    Ex Coventry striker Michael Mifsud is still playing for Malta, he could be only 28 but he seems to be around forever

Leave a comment:

• slackster
    replied
    Already mentioned in the National League thread, but Kevin Lisbie, now 40, who once scored a Premier League hat-trick for The Addicks v Liverpool, still turns out for step 5 SCEFL side Cray Valley Paper Mills. They booked their place in the FA Vase final at Wembley yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• beak
    replied
    It's not so much that I'm surprised he's still playing, but I am absolutely amazed that Honved's David N'Gog still has a week to go until he turns 30. He was yesterday's man yesterday, in my mind's eye he should be about 36.

Leave a comment:

• longeared
    replied
    Ricardo Fuller scored for Nantwich Town in their win over Stalybridge Celtic this afternoon. Apparently it's his first goal for almost 1500 days.

Leave a comment:

• Nocturnal Submission
    replied
    Yes, he played in both Chelsea-BATE EL group stage games earlier this season.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Yes, I remember his return for Birmingham but thought this must be the first time for BATE. I recall him playing for them against another PL club a while back, Chelsea?

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    It's 5th spell with BATE, but he wasn't there last season when the clubs met in the group stage.

However he did play against them while on loan at Birmingham in 2011, coming on as sub in a 3-0 home defeat. However he then got injured and missed their league cup final meeting.

He was a fine player at Arsenal, and admits himself that he should never have left for Barcelona.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    I know he's something of a Champions/Europa League regular but it's still a shock to see 37 year old Alexander Hleb turning out for BATE Borisov. Is this the first time he's played against Arsenal for them?

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    One time Cardiff and Shrewsbury reserve, and subsequently Welsh football journeyman keeper, Lee Kendall, was named on the bench by Barry Town today. He hasn't played first team football since 2012, according to Wikipedia. He's on the staff at Barry. He's also about 5 years younger then me.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    52 next month.

Leave a comment:

• Alderman Barnes
    replied
    They were saying on the radio this morning that Kazuyoshi Miura has signed a new contract at Yokohama, aged 51.

Leave a comment:

• Capybara
    replied
    His ban ran out on 31 December and he signed on 1 January after training with them for a bit.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    The ban ended on 31 December

Leave a comment:

• ad hoc
    replied
    Hang on.... Samir Nasri is playing for West Ham? When did that happen? How long has he been unbanned?

Leave a comment:

• Southport Zeb
    replied
    The first substitute on for Southport this afternoon was Alex Russell, previously of Rochdale, Torquay and Cambridge amongst others. Russell, now 45, last played for Clevedon Town five years ago. He had a brief spell as Southport assistant manager in the intervening period.

Alex Russell's father, also called Alex, made over 250 appearances for Southport and made his debut for the club in 1963. I wonder if there has been any longer period between a father and son making debuts for the same club.

Leave a comment:

• Alderman Barnes
    replied
    Originally posted by treibeis View Post
    Has anybody mentioned Claudio Pizarro, who'll be turning 40 in October? Still getting a game for Werder.
    Is that his fourth or his fifth spell there now? I've lost count.

Bremen has always been a bit of a haven for ancient players. I remember Mirko Votava and Manni Burgsmüller also turning out for them aged over 40.
    Last edited by Alderman Barnes; 13-12-2018, 11:21.

Leave a comment:

• Bizarre Löw Triangle
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    Saw Jamie Cureton playing on Monday for Bishops Stortford. He played the full 90 minutes and was, by some distance Bishops Stortford's most dangerous attacking player - including creating their only goal of the night.

Although there's several veteran players plying their trade at this level, there's relatively few over 40s. To see a 43 year-old leading the division's top scorer charts is pretty astonishing. Haringey's opening goal was scored by someone who was born four years after Cureton made his Premier League debut.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X