X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discordant Resonance
    replied
    Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
    I'm mildly stunned to realise it's so long ago – it feels like they've barely changed over, just as it felt like they'd barely paused for breath after previously shunting everything down one notch after introduction of the Premiership made 'Division 1' the second tier. In fact, then, since the ending of the classic D1/D2/D3/D4 setup the Prem/D1/D2/D3 era lasted 12 years, and the Prem/Champ/L1/L2 era has in fact now lasted fully 50% longer at 18.

I'm frankly stunned they haven't relabelled everything at least once more since then. I think that judging by the way things were going after those consecutive reconfigurations in 1992 and 2004, I'd have expected that 'Division 1' or 'League 1' would be about the fifth tier by 2022.
    IIRC, the Championship rebrand only occurred because a number of the second tier clubs threatened at the time to breakaway and form a "Phoenix League", so it was an effort by the Football League to placate the rebels.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    Daniele Mannini: Beverley Town sign Italian midfielder after chance dog-walk meeting

10th tier Beverley Town ended up pulling off the biggest, and presumably most bizarre, signing in their 22-year history.

Daniele Mannini has played in Serie A alongside and against some of the biggest names of European football from the past two decades.

The 38-year-old Italian midfielder boasts a CV including stints with Brescia, Napoli and Sampdoria - a long way from the Northern Counties Eastern League in every conceivable sense.

Leave a comment:

• Various Artist
    replied
    Hah, that's a reasonable point. I've never yet thought of the Football League as the "EFL" since, but it is technically a rebrand so yeah. We can look forward to the next one in another 6 years then!

Leave a comment:

• Walter Knight
    replied
    I'm frankly stunned they haven't relabelled everything at least once more since then. I think that judging by the way things were going after those consecutive reconfigurations in 1992 and 2004, I'd have expected that 'Division 1' or 'League 1' would be about the fifth tier by 2022.
    I don't know if the adoption of 'EFL' would count as 'relabelling' here? That was in 2016 so it looks like there's a change every 12 years...

Leave a comment:

• That Night In Barcelona
    replied
    I'm mildly stunned to realise it's so long ago – it feels like they've barely changed over, just as it felt like they'd barely paused for breath after previously shunting everything down one notch after introduction of the Premiership made 'Division 1' the second tier. In fact, then, since the ending of the classic D1/D2/D3/D4 setup the Prem/D1/D2/D3 era lasted 12 years, and the Prem/Champ/L1/L2 era has in fact now lasted fully 50% longer at 18.

They should change the names to something more descriptive. The Championship could be the Parachutes Payment League, for example.

Leave a comment:

• Various Artist
    replied
    Originally posted by Walter Knight View Post
    James Milner for one (debut 2002*, 'The Championship' rebrand came in in 2004).

Leave a comment:

• Gert from the Well
    replied
    Fabio Quagliarella has just signed up for another year with Sampdoria, he'll turn 40 during the season.

Leave a comment:

• Walter Knight
    replied
    Originally posted by Cousin Boneless View Post
    I wonder how many players are playing before the league changed names to The Championship, League One etc?
    James Milner for one (debut 2002*, 'The Championship' rebrand came in in 2004).

* Also before his current team-mate Harvey Elliott was born. I don't know if there's ever been a thread on biggest age differences between team-mates or anything along those lines?

Leave a comment:

• Cousin Boneless
    replied
    Peter Clarke who is 40 came on for Walsall in a friendly vs my team Coventry.

I remember seeing him on loan for us at Highfield Road in what was then called 'The First Division'.

Furthermore he first played for Everton in the 2000/2001 season.

I wonder how many players are playing before the league changed names to The Championship, League One etc?

Leave a comment:

• mirko bolesan
    replied
    Barry Hayles has rejoined Windsor on the coaching staff. He hasn't ruled out donning the famous green and red kit in the upcoming season. He is almost 50.

Leave a comment:

• 3 Colours Red
    replied
    Of course he was going to bloody sign for Erdogan's team, wasn't he? Seemed it was either that or Twitch.

Leave a comment:

• ursus arctos
    replied
    La Gazzetta expects Cesc Fabregas to sign with Como and Mario Balotelli to go to Sion

Mesut Özil and Fenerbahce have parted ways and he has joined Istanbul Başakşehir

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    Thread stalwart Nathan Tyson (40) has signed for Grantham Town.

Nathan are a Canadian alt country band, while Tyson is also a recording artist (and daughter of Neneh Cherry). Half a point for a solo artist, but upgraded to a full point as it's a live OIHSP player.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick Thistle
    replied
    Originally posted by Tapiocahead View Post
    The only footballer where both his names are bands btw (at least that I can think or)
    If Joe Gomez was known as an Ugly Kid then he would count as well.

(There is a James Gomez who plays for Gambia but we've already used James.)

Leave a comment:

• jefe
    replied
    Panama international Blas Perez is unretiring to play indoors for the Dallas Sidekicks.

Leave a comment:

• jwdd27
    replied
    The only footballer where both his names are bands btw (at least that I can think or)
    Remi Moses

REMI - Australian hip hop duo
    MOSES - British Indie group

Hadn't heard of them, but both on Youtube and both coincidentally stylised in all caps. And no, I haven't spent half the evening trying to find a player with group names. More like two thirds.

Leave a comment:

• 1974ddr
    replied
    Originally posted by mirko bolesan View Post
    Former Wales international Ryan Green (2 caps under Bobby Gould) and former youngest ever Welsh international has signed on for another season at Hellenic League Westfields at Step 5. He's 41.
    This has made me feel old'

Leave a comment:

• Jon
    replied
    Roy Keane.

Had to google Roy but they are an early 2000s US indie folk rock band.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_(band)
    Last edited by Jon; 09-07-2022, 09:53.

Leave a comment:

• Tapiocahead
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Tapiocahead
    replied
    James Hanson chose Farsley Celtic at the start of last season, apparently because driving is fucking up his back so he needed somewhere local.
    He disappeared off to Boston mid season and then to Worksop in the summer so i guess he's moved down there for some reason

Leave a comment:

• cantagalo
    replied
    I'm sure he's featured somewhere earlier on this thread but Roque Santa Cruz (40) has just scored for Libertad against Athletico Paranaense in the last 16 of the Libertadores.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    He's a weird one. Only 34 but already been playing non-league for a year after apparently choosing to turn down multiple league clubs as he wanted to go part time.

Leave a comment:

• Billy Casper
    replied
    Former Bradford City striker (amongst others) James Hanson played for Worksop Town in the second half against Barnsley's under 23 team. He didn't run much, but won every single header.

Leave a comment:

• torres
    replied
    I liked Milan a hell of a lot, especially when I bet him at 50/1 to finish as the tournament’s top scorer.

I always felt Liverpool missed a trick not playing a big forward alongside him like the Czechs did.

Leave a comment:

• Ray de Galles
    replied
    A thread favourite soldiers on ;

https://twitter.com/blanskoklobasa/status/1538480357024141312?s=21&t=7rsumz5tMLBvcpZgT1nN5g

Leave a comment:

Working...
X